Lets talk 335s

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jrjones, Aug 17, 2019.

1. mrsongbird

mrsongbird Member

I picked up a Heritage 535 some years ago and fell in love with it- I sold it to buy a Les Paul, which just didn’t have the same vibe for me. When the great CME 335-a-thon happened, I jumped and picked up a 335 which I absolutely love. There’s something about the way they feel to play that just really makes them fun, for me. This one feels like a keeper.

[​IMG]

My Saturday jam last week:

stratzrus, DV52, Sailindawg and 2 others like this.
  2. AA864

AA864 Member

I have this 1969 335

[​IMG]

But to be honest, this Eastman T486 is a better guitar in almost every way.... it has a better neck, Ebony board, better hardware, side input jack, ABR, and lower cost.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    Keith Kline and TA22GT like this.
  3. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

Very interesting

4. deech54

deech54 Member

I got a used McKay Sunrise '59 I really like. Chunky neck feels perfect. I don't know what pickups are in it but they sound good.

5. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

I own this Highland with a master volume and Bigsby that was stander but not shown on the site. So It fulfilled my 335 itch. I love semi hollows. It looks like the Back To The Future guitar. Quality too. But 1 question? How many own more than one semi hollow guitar? And what was the differences between all that you own? And what made you own more than one? I love old vintage offbrands semi hollows. Univox, Harmony's, ect... So what made you by more than one?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TA22GT likes this.
  6. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

I only have a hollowbody (Gibson Byrdland)
    I need a semi in my stable
    I want the binding and parallelogram of a 355

The bear likes this.
  7. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

The only Gibson left for me. They are amazing when you get a good one. My old friend had a '73 block inlay 335 TDC that was so good I almost traded my sweet R9 for. There are some killer 345s that the CS has put out in the past decade or so.

8. Keith Kline

Keith Kline Member

Nice! Don't let the brand name fool you.

9. qblue

qblue Member

That's in my avatar....

This one is a 1990, which is the last year before being discontinued in 1991. I did swap out the neck pickup and put a Classic '57 in. To my surprise I had a Dirty Fingers pickup with a circuit board attached to the back. This happened in 1988, when Bill Lawrence was commissioned to rectify the sound of the Dirty Fingers, to make them sound right(?).

This is the most consistent guitar I have. I was bonding with those Dirty Fingers pickups and after upgrading to the Classic '57 in 2014, it's a more jazzy nuanced type of sound. I absolutely love this guitar.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    ctreitzell likes this.
  10. The bear

The bear Member

If you are looking for non-Gibson, I would check out a Collings I-35lc. One of the best semi hollows ever made IMO.
    335s can be hit or miss. I would advice playing before buying.

makemusic84 likes this.
  11. onemoretime

onemoretime Member

I own a Gibson ES-335 and an ES-137. Of the 2, I like the ES-137 better. From a strictly 335 style, I also own a Guild Starfire IV, and older Washburn HB35N and a newer Ibanez AS93FMT (Custom '58's). They all get way more play time than my 335. I just find them more comfortable to play. It's not that the ES-335 is bad, it just feels stiff in comparison and is more work to play. It has had 2 separate setups (one by a Gibson authorized luthier) and both times came back the same.