1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Lets talk 335s

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jrjones, Aug 17, 2019.

1. AA864

AA864 Member

I have this 1969 335

[​IMG]

But to be honest, this Eastman T486 is a better guitar in almost every way.... it has a better neck, Ebony board, better hardware, side input jack, ABR, and lower cost.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    jazzsnds, Keith Kline and TA22GT like this.
  2. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

Very interesting

3. deech54

deech54 Member

I got a used McKay Sunrise '59 I really like. Chunky neck feels perfect. I don't know what pickups are in it but they sound good.

4. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

I own this Highland with a master volume and Bigsby that was stander but not shown on the site. So It fulfilled my 335 itch. I love semi hollows. It looks like the Back To The Future guitar. Quality too. But 1 question? How many own more than one semi hollow guitar? And what was the differences between all that you own? And what made you own more than one? I love old vintage offbrands semi hollows. Univox, Harmony's, ect... So what made you by more than one?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EL34 and TA22GT like this.
  5. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

I only have a hollowbody (Gibson Byrdland)
    I need a semi in my stable
    I want the binding and parallelogram of a 355

The bear likes this.
  6. datguytim

datguytim Member

The only Gibson left for me. They are amazing when you get a good one. My old friend had a '73 block inlay 335 TDC that was so good I almost traded my sweet R9 for. There are some killer 345s that the CS has put out in the past decade or so.

7. Keith Kline

Keith Kline Member

Nice! Don't let the brand name fool you.

8. qblue

qblue Member

That's in my avatar....

This one is a 1990, which is the last year before being discontinued in 1991. I did swap out the neck pickup and put a Classic '57 in. To my surprise I had a Dirty Fingers pickup with a circuit board attached to the back. This happened in 1988, when Bill Lawrence was commissioned to rectify the sound of the Dirty Fingers, to make them sound right(?).

This is the most consistent guitar I have. I was bonding with those Dirty Fingers pickups and after upgrading to the Classic '57 in 2014, it's a more jazzy nuanced type of sound. I absolutely love this guitar.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    ctreitzell likes this.
  9. The bear

The bear Member

If you are looking for non-Gibson, I would check out a Collings I-35lc. One of the best semi hollows ever made IMO.
    335s can be hit or miss. I would advice playing before buying.

John F, b_goatman and makemusic84 like this.
  10. onemoretime

onemoretime Member

I own a Gibson ES-335 and an ES-137. Of the 2, I like the ES-137 better. From a strictly 335 style, I also own a Guild Starfire IV, and older Washburn HB35N and a newer Ibanez AS93FMT (Custom '58's). They all get way more play time than my 335. I just find them more comfortable to play. It's not that the ES-335 is bad, it just feels stiff in comparison and is more work to play. It has had 2 separate setups (one by a Gibson authorized luthier) and both times came back the same.

Bassopotamus likes this.
  11. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

I bought my first semi- only a few years ago, so I'm still learning the ins and outs of things on 'em. I play moderate to high gain much of the time, and I just love how lively mine feels -- and feeling the air being pushed out of the f-hole on the underside of my arm.

My Ibanez AS-93 is a damned good guitar for what I paid. Hope to one day get either a 335 Dot or AS-200.

I'm told Yamaha makes a killer 335-style guitar, too. Haven't seen or played one, though.

Bassopotamus and ctreitzell like this.
  12. Alse1829

Alse1829 Member

The 335 that I picked up a little while ago had completely revised my guitar preferences.

The first semi hollow body that I had (still have it actually) left me not wanting to venture more into that realm. It’s a dean del sol, sounded ok but was neck heavy and a pain to play unseated.

So when I decided to look into 335’s, years later, I was checking out the Epiphone offers as I didn’t want to spend too much on a style of guitar that I might be uncomfortable with. Was not impressed with any of the ones I tried. They never felt alive and all were just really dried out as well.

I came across this blueberry burst 335 in a local shop and at the time they were asking way more than I wanted to spend. They ended up putting it on clearance a while later, so I gave playing it a shot. I felt it was a nice overall guitar, but wasn’t super head over heels with it. They convinced me with a 45 day no question asked return policy along with another 20% off when I was still hesitant.

After getting it home and letting everything acclimate, I started enjoying it much more. It has so much character that I couldn’t truly hear in the large store setting. I had it set up by my tech and it has become my favorite guitar. The neck is great, the body size feels very comfortable to me, and I love the color as well. I play it a ton unplugged, but the mhsII pickups sound amazing too.

Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to share my experience. I have since decided that my next guitar will be another semi hollow 3x5 style, hopefully.

fuzz_factor and ctreitzell like this.
  13. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

quoting myself:facepalm
    I just took delivery of a 2006 ES355 in vintage burst
    ReStrung 'er last night
    AFAIAA my new to me 355 is a '64 reissue
    neck profile is perfect for my pref

pics to come as I know
    :worthless

JWhite likes this.
  14. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

In my search to find a 355 over my trip to California this past Aug-Oct 2019, I was very, very close to purchasing a 347 instead. I auditioned a '71 345 and a '80 or '81 347 at Guitar Center in North Hollywood. GCNH also had a 1971 355 but it had an ugly headstock repair, so I didn't play it.

I will say, the vintage instrument room at Guitar Center North Hollywood is killer; high ceilings with many, many rows of vintages of guitars and amps and extremely helpful staff. The only knock is when auditioning amps, a loud player can really thwart a sale...happened to me while I was there. Dude shows up and was really putting amps thru loud paces to "investigate" if he wanted to replace his AC30. That kinda curtailed my auditioning. Nevertheless that room and the stock in there is worth a visit!

Both the 345 and 347 I auditioned had very chunky necks, which put me off. I played the 347 for an extended period (maybe an hour). My dealbreaker, though, was the case. I wanted a top end Gibson branded case and that 347 had an Epiphone case...a nice Epi case...but nowhere near as nice a case as the 2006 355 I purchased from a musical instruments shop in Italy.

My criteria for pulling the trigger or not was the Custom classifying parallelogram on the headstock; which I have always wanted. I am really happy I held out.

I feel the phase reverse switch on the 347 adds a worthy extra that the 355 doesn't have. The neck on the 2006 355 is much more my preference than the 70s and 80s Electric Spanish I have auditioned.

qblue likes this.
  15. Alse1829

Alse1829 Member

So you’re still on the hunt? Where’s then stop going to be?

16. patshep

patshep Supporting Member

I agree with this 100% even in jazz guitars, i love the sound of an es175 more than an L5, which is sort of nuts but my ears like that tone.... i blame Jim Hall

saltbird likes this.
  17. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

A great semi-hollow (regardless of brand) can be very special indeed, even played acoustically... it’ll have a nice resonance, sustain and some actual snap to the low strings. String bends will have some harmonic fullness and ring to them.

Stay away from the ones that, frankly, kinda sound like cardboard. The low strings will be stiff and dead, open strummed chords won’t sound full, they’ll just sound hollow (and not in a good way). This isn’t just limited to cheap models either... I’ve played more than a few Gibsons like this.

To me, the real magic of a semi comes from using mostly both pickups together, but tweak each volume to control both your tones and gain. For example: I keep both volumes around 7 through either a crunchy amp or light OD pedal, and the tone is dynamic and clean. Crank just the neck pickup (but still with both pickups on) for sweet, bluesy leads. Crank just the bridge pickup (with the neck still around 7) and it produces rich-sounding, honking, singing leads. It’s almost like channel-switching right from the guitar - it’s a beautiful thing!

NOTE: all of the above is with 50s wiring... which I think is crucial for this setup

18. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

No, the hunt has yielded a 2006 ES355 Custom Shop Vintage Burst which I purchased end of Sept and just unboxed 2 days ago. Same price as the 347s I was seeing in California :) pics to come...

Bassopotamus likes this.
  19. Omega

Omega Member

Let’s see some pictures!!

20. qblue

qblue Member

That is a coil tap and it is useful as a feedback reducer and a thinner sound. Both the Dirty Fingers and the Classic '57 pickups have 4 leads for the splitting the coils in each pickup.

I would take the 345 over the 347, because it would have the Varitone, if I were presented with those choices.