Let's talk 70's Marshall cabs!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by steve10358, Feb 9, 2006.

1. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

I decided to open up my 70's slant Checkerboard 4x12 today.
    What I discovered confused me. I guess I have to be honest with myself that that the speakers were probably changed. Different wires (I'm guessing) and the fact that the speakers rate 25watts @ 16ohms, when the cab tag states they should be 15ohms. The speakers all have identical dates and codes {T1221 MF 18}, so it confirms they are G12M's from August 18th, 1973.
    However- I have never seen them this color--->
    Here are some photo's:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Does anyone have any info? I am sure there is nothing special about them... I am just curious as to the story behind them.
    thanks!
    S.

2. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Looks right me. Greenbacks came in gray, beige, and black as well as green. All of them are generally the same. The 15 ohm or 16 ohm doesn't mean anything it was a just a change in nomenclature not speakers.

3. Distortion

Distortion Member

Those speakers are often called Silverback's..

4. steve10358

Thanks alex. Do you know how early 70's speakers compare to pre-rola's? And when was the introduction of the metal handle?

S.

5. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

Looks right to me as well.
    Didn't happen to find Jim's signature or intials on the inside of the cabinet?
    It is rather common.
    BTW, nice cabinet and worth hanging on to unless you aren't happy with it....If so, email me!

6. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Um. I hear 'Pre Rola' as being godlike. Can anyone explain this?

EP

7. steve10358

I gotta ask the question. Are silver backs rarer than creme?
    And yes 908, I dig the cab. It's more aggressive in the midrange and top end than my RI cabs... and not just because of slant vs straight. I actually prefer the cab with my MarkIIC+ while the marshalls go straight.

:)

8. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Guest

It looks right to me as well. That could easily be a picture of my cab its so close.

9. steve10358

You have a bass lead too?? I can't believe it took me this long to discover all this on a cab I've had for over a year. Usually I am more nosy than this and have it dismantled on the first day! LOL.

Now I just have to tighten the one handle, and find a caster plate for it. That and some back corners and she'll be close to mint.

S.

10. Droptopandy

Droptopandy Supporting Member

I owned a very old basketweave straight Marshall cab, oh why did i sell it. The speakers in that cab were all labeled from 1970 and had all the distinction of being Pre-rola. They did make the factory move in 1970, I did get some good cash for that cab. I have several clips of it in my sig.

I now own a 1978 slant checkerboard cab with 4, 25 watt Blackbacks and i like this cab as much, or if not more than the other one. This one sounds clearer and it's easier for me to record. I feel that a lot of the Pre-rola hype is BS, just my opinion.

11. Droptopandy

Here's the old one i had.

[​IMG]

12. Droptopandy

And here's the 78 slant. And check out the Boogie cab. IMO is the best kept secret out there in the cabinet world. It's got 2 MC90's up top with 2 EVM 12L's below. That cab weighs more than 130lbs! Each EVM is 25 lbs. I got that cab for $375.

[​IMG]

13. Droptopandy

14. steve10358

I saw that pic before. I love that. It's one of my favs on this forum.

S.

15. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Steve, that cab looks dead stock to me.

It would be extremely unlikely that the date codes would match to the day and be consistent with the cab, and the wiring so well done, if they weren't - not impossible, but in my experience not likely.

Two things about Celestion speakers...

1 - there are no "pre-Rola" speakers (not guitar ones, anyway). Rola bought Celestion in 1947. The label changed in late 1971/early '72 (I think) when Celestion moved factories. There is no difference between early "Rola" Celestions and late "pre Rola" Celestions other than the label. Some parts did change, a little later and progressively, not all at once. Jim (Southbay/Scumbag) is the expert on this around here. But "pre Rola" is largely BS used by sellers to increase the price of their speakers.

2 - For some reason "Greenback" has become a word that implies a G12M-25. I really don't understand why... not only did Celestion make at least three models (the G12M-20, G12M-25 and the very different-sounding G12H-30) with green magnet covers, they made both the 25s and 30s with cream, grey, and black covers - and sometimes with no covers - as well (and with two different frame paint colors) depending on customer request and availability. You often find 'wrong' speakers in Marshall cabs because Marshall were Celestion's biggest customer at the time, and if stock of the 'normal' green backed, silver framed speakers ran low when Marshall needed them, Celestion would ship whatever they had available. The 15/16-ohm thing is the same - some customers wanted one, some the other. It's a 'nominal' measurement anyway.

It's the T number and the cone code that are important, not the color of the magnet cover or the print on the label.

16. Swarty

Swarty Member

John,

I'm in agreement with everything you state with one exception. It is my understanding that the G12 25M replaced the G12 20M (both are 1221s) sometime around 1967 and I've not seen or heard of any of the non-green magnet covers until about '73. Thus I question there being 20Ms with anything other than green magnet covers.

Another model with a green magnet cover was the 20w G12L. These were stock in the '70s solid state combos... They have a small magnet and cover... and are pretty wimpy sounding.

... and yes, those are referred to as gray backs... silver backs typically implys no magnet cover.

17. Roe

Roe Member

there was also a g12h-25w made untill 67 or 68