• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Let’s talk a bit about Naylor

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
Was it purple?

That explains why I couldn’t find it! Well now I kind of feel like a dick. There is another TGP’er looking and I messaged him about a sd60 combo (blonde I think) and was trying to be nice and help him find one because he was looking before I was, I believe. He said he was in talks with the guy so I went looking elsewhere to not interfere. Found one, bought it yesterday, now I’m hoping it wasn’t the one he was looking at.
On another note, the Naylor database does not have this serial there, but has another 212 purple combo that went to Rack Systems, so Im
Trying to find out some info on it. 00072 on the chassis as well as 00072 212, so I think it is organic with the combo cab.
Purple it was, and you could tell it was an original Michigan. if he was looking at a 2x12 Superdrive60 combo it was the only Naylor for sale on the internet, other than that 4000.00 one on Reverb. Not 1 dealer or used one to be had, so it had to be the same one. I find another 1 or 2 appears each month. .You did nothing wrong. It's the one I mentioned above , for you to buy so I quit looking at it daily , as I was considering it, but I KNOW I do NOT need any more amps. . I literally dial in all my Engls, Marshalls, Splawns, and whatever to sound like me, and I'd sound the same on Naylors.

Eric

fatbagg

Gold Supporting Member
Purple it was, and you could tell it was an original Michigan. if he was looking at a 2x12 Superdrive60 combo it was the only Naylor for sale on the internet, other than that 4000.00 one on Reverb. Not 1 dealer or used one to be had, so it had to be the same one. I find another 1 or 2 appears each month. .You did nothing wrong. It's the one I mentioned above , for you to buy so I quit looking at it daily , as I was considering it, but I KNOW I do NOT need any more amps. . I literally dial in all my Engls, Marshalls, Splawns, and whatever to sound like me, and I'd sound the same on Naylors.

Eric
Ah, yep, that’s the one. I cannot wait.

fatbagg

Gold Supporting Member
Congrats @fatbagg! Looking forward to hearing what you think, and hopefully a clip with that beautiful Suhr :)
Definitely. I’m very excited. Wish I k ew more about it, 00072 ‘sounds’ early, hopefully that’s a good thing, or at least not a bad thing! I am ready some of the early ones are much lower gain or something, or yada yada. In either case, I’m happy, I’m excited, I’m tired of shipping amps, hopefully I’ll enjoy it. I think I will, it’s been the one amp that people have mentioned over and over is right in my realm of tonal preference.

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
Definitely. I’m very excited. Wish I k ew more about it, 00072 ‘sounds’ early, hopefully that’s a good thing, or at least not a bad thing! I am ready some of the early ones are much lower gain or something, or yada yada. In either case, I’m happy, I’m excited, I’m tired of shipping amps, hopefully I’ll enjoy it. I think I will, it’s been the one amp that people have mentioned over and over is right in my realm of tonal preference.
I wanna see your new "Top 11" list... . but I guess I'll wait til you play this one first :) Eric

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
I’m very curious about the Naylor speakers. I’d be interested to hear my SD60 through one of the 410 cabs
What's your geographic location? I have an original Naylor 4x10 cab - I live in Santa Barbara, CA. Great sounding cab - darker than some, but great tone.

Thanks, Dana O.

temple12

Noodler Extraordinaire
Gold Supporting Member
I’m very curious about the Naylor speakers. I’d be interested to hear my SD60 through one of the 410 cabs
The electraverb 38 sounds amazing through a 2x10 Naylor set.... beautiful cleans. I’ve owned quite a few naylor 12 inch speakers, amazing with naylor amps but never been excited with anything else. Probably would suit a fender but that’s not my jam. They aren’t expensive if you buy the from Dave.

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
What's your geographic location? I have an original Naylor 4x10 cab - I live in Santa Barbara, CA. Great sounding cab - darker than some, but great tone.

Thanks, Dana O.
I’m in MA. Do you use it with a Naylor head?

The electraverb 38 sounds amazing through a 2x10 Naylor set.... beautiful cleans. I’ve owned quite a few naylor 12 inch speakers, amazing with naylor amps but never been excited with anything else. Probably would suit a fender but that’s not my jam. They aren’t expensive if you buy the from Dave.
I’ve got a boatload of 12”s already, part of my curiosity is about having a cab around with 10”s too. You mentioned the beautiful cleans with them, not as much with OD?

Relicula

Silver Supporting Member
The cleans are the most under rated part of this amp. Run your pedals through the loop, in the low input, and you will discover the most delicious , warm cleans.

The purple one mentioned is a very early one, vented cab, and flat panel on front, I almost hit the button on that one, but I have the two already. A must have amp.

temple12

Noodler Extraordinaire
Gold Supporting Member

I’ve got a boatload of 12”s already, part of my curiosity is about having a cab around with 10”s too. You mentioned the beautiful cleans with them, not as much with OD?
The tens are nice with OD but have the same inherent issues all tens have- a lack of low end - but sounded great on for drives sounds. But lots of nice punchy high mid detail as opposed to like, say, a hot rod deville 4x10. This is my recollection from trying a few in shops and owning said other amp at the time. Hope that helps.

nondeplume

Puppet For Prophet
Here's my kiddo...
Options on it...

British Racing Green and Cream
Hi-Drive with swtich - More gain
Spike Switch with level control - Basically a variable boost
Fixed Bias/Cathode Bias Switch - The Naylor is fixed by nature, with Cathode bias, it's softer all around, lower volume, a little more compressed and sometimes to my ear, a touch more mid-rangy...

My favorite speaker combo with the Naylor are the ceramic Weber Blue dog/Silver bell dynamic duo, which is what's in the Jenkins.

These days I've been running an Echoplex EP-3 in the loop, mates with this amp perfectly, it's just a lovely, very addictive sound. I usually goose the front end with a Maxon VOP9. And to answer somebody earlier, yea, the amp is loud.

suhrimmetal

Silver Supporting Member
Here's my kiddo...
Options on it...

British Racing Green and Cream
Hi-Drive with swtich - More gain
Spike Switch with level control - Basically a variable boost
Fixed Bias/Cathode Bias Switch - The Naylor is fixed by nature, with Cathode bias, it's softer all around, lower volume, a little more compressed and sometimes to my ear, a touch more mid-rangy...

My favorite speaker combo with the Naylor are the ceramic Weber Blue dog/Silver bell dynamic duo, which is what's in the Jenkins.

These days I've been running an Echoplex EP-3 in the loop, mates with this amp perfectly, it's just a lovely, very addictive sound. I usually goose the front end with a Maxon VOP9. And to answer somebody earlier, yea, the amp is loud.

That is purty :) Im still searching for an SD60 head.

DonaldDemon

Well, heavy is in the ear of the beholder and who, what, when is your target.

But Naylor has a few options also, at least they did when I got mine. One being the Hi-Drive option.....I have the Hi-Drive option and it adds significant gain, heavy for me, metal drop d heavy...idk, prob with a pedal. To me the gain is 'vintage' hi gain, which I like and prefer.

Here is the prototype of the Hi-Drive..

Cool, I prefer a vintage hi gain to a modern as well. That clip is even more gain than I would typically use, I prefer to boost it for the extra gain anyway.

Dana Olsen

I sometimes play a Blonde Bassman head through it - sounds great, and is easy to hear (LOL - It's loud).

It's sad - great cab, but it doesn't get much use. I do not own a Naylor amp. I LOVED the Duel 60, missed out on one at Rockers Music in San Fran in 2005 or 2006 - a head and 4x10 rig, brand new. I waited too long while deciding - someone more decisive than me got it.

Then, Rocker's got ANOTHER one - this one was a huge combo w/ 1x15 and 2x10 or 2x12 - can't remember, with a Duel 60 brain. Weighed around 85-90 lbs, and had tooled leather on some of the cover- trey cowboy, which I love! This particular HUGE combo has a name, but I don't recall it - anyone? EDIT: It's called a "Tri-Tone Custom."

Man, Echo, I wish we lived closer together - we're on opposite ends of the US of A - I'd love to hear your amp through my cab.

Thanks, Dana O.

Last edited:

fatbagg

Gold Supporting Member
Do the amp showed up a few days early. I only got about half an hour of playing when my wife walks in, doing whatever she does, then turns and notices the Naylor. She says ‘Wow, that sounds a lot like your Mesa Boogie, sounds like YOU’. She is absolutely
Correct, this Naylor is not too distant in tone to my IIC+, which I EQ really smooth and midrange heavy. It’s like if you took the smoothness of the Boogie without some of the attitude, out the fullness of a loud oldschool Fender, an attack that glows effortlessly and dare I say a bit Dumbly, then add in the magic and
Killer feel of a very loud Vintage Marshall all in one amp. It’s outstanding. I can get a beautiful bluesy slightly dirty clean to a glaringly smooth waterfall of driven soul and overdrive that is almost audible imagination. Just a stellar and gorgeous tone. I’m in the honeymoon phase, so let me not overstate my enjoyment. I opened it, setup my phone camera and recorded my first few minutes with it, but the phone is DIRECTLY in front of the cab so it’s a little bright the way it sounds, which, let me say, is far from this amp. Smooth in a wonderful way. The video had a slight sizzle that is not present in the room. This is presence 12 o’clock, Bass 10 o’clock, mids 2 o’clock treble 12 o’clock, gain 3 o’clock. Bite switch engaged.

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
I sometimes play a Blonde Bassman head through it - sounds great, and is easy to hear (LOL - It's loud).

It's sad - great cab, but it doesn't get much use. I do not own a Naylor amp. I LOVED the Duel 60, missed out on one at Rockers Music in San Fran in 2005 or 2006 - a head and 4x10 rig, brand new. I waited too long while deciding - someone more decisive than me got it.

Then, Rocker's got ANOTHER one - this one was a huge combo w/ 1x15 and 2x10 or 2x12 - can't remember, with a Duel 60 brain. Weighed around 85-90 lbs, and had tooled leather on some of the cover- trey cowboy, which I love! This particular HUGE combo has a name, but I don't recall it - anyone? EDIT: It's called a "Tri-Tone Custom."

Man, Echo, I wish we lived closer together - we're on opposite ends of the US of A - I'd love to hear your amp through my cab.

Thanks, Dana O.
Well, maybe the third time you see one around will be the charm!

A Blonde Bassman is an amp I’ve yet to check off my wish list. I’ve had a Deluxe and Princeton from that era (both 62’ I think), but no Bassman. They seem like great amps.

Trending Topics