Lets talk a little about Eric Johnson

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by stratmosphere, Dec 19, 2009.

1. stratmosphere

stratmosphere Member

Now heres a guy who uses lots of interesting techniques in his playing. For example, how does he make those harmonics he uses so often in his playing, for example 2:15 in this video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf_Zz8BwClE

2. banjoze

banjoze Supporting Member

he shows how to do this in some of his tutorial videos (in case you aren't aware he has the videos already)

3. Kappy

Kappy Member

Notice he's using the pick, but he's also putting his pick-hand index finger over the harmonic. Simple, but hard to do accurately, and on the fly like he does. A real master of electric guitar there.

Dig Lenny Breau who was perhaps the original master of those types of moveable harmonics.

4. stratmosphere

stratmosphere Member

what exactly are these type of harmonics called?

5. Elektrik_SIxx

Elektrik_SIxx Member

Artificial harmonics.

6. whomad1215

whomad1215 Member

harp harmonics i think is another term

i love erics chord voicings. vid at the house of blues, he plays cliffs, the first few minutes are him improving, such amazing stuff

7. stratmosphere

stratmosphere Member

I saw the video where he talks about harmonics, but I still dont really understand how he does them with his index finger extended there?

8. Kappy

Kappy Member

His index finger is 12 frets away from the note...so he's doing the normal harmonics at the 12th fret (intro to Roundabout anyone?), but he's actually doing them 12 frets away from the note he's fretting, so he moved the 12th fret "node" around. You can do it 5 frets and 7 frets away too. So it's the same concept of barre chords applied to harmonics.

Try it by holding down the F note @ the 1st fret, then play the harmonic at the 13th fret with your index finger (and the pick plucks the note behind the index finger).

HTH Good luck!

Dave

9. stratmosphere

stratmosphere Member

I hear what your saying but i dont think I understand it AT ALL...is there a video or anything online where I can see this being done? How do I play the harmonic at the 13th fret with my index finger?

10. Calaban

Calaban Member

With you left hand, fret F at the 1st fret of the E (6th) string.
    Place your RIGHT hand index finger DIRECTLY above the 13th fret of the 6th string, barely touching it. DON'T PRESS IT AGAINST THE FRET. This is one octave (12 frets) above the F.
    Hold the pick between your thumb and middle finger of your RIGHT hand and pluck the string. Release the right hand index finger ever so slightly after picking. DING! Harmonic.

You can move this anywhere as long as the RIGHT hand index finger is 12 frets above your LEFT hand fretting finger.

You may have to hold the pick differently or adjust other things to make it work for you.

I suck at it. No patience I suppose.

11. stratmosphere

stratmosphere Member

How does EJ do it on that video when his index finger isn't over any fret?

12. robelinda2

robelinda2 Member

Chet, T Emmanuel, Breau, Brent Mason, tons of country and acoustic guys use this technique. Eric most likely got it from the older guys as he does play a great country pickin solo when he wants. Awesome little technique to have in your bag!

Check out Tommy Emmanuel's instructional video/dvd called Up Close, he goes in depth on artificial harmonics. And check out this amazing songs with it too!

13. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Silver Supporting Member

Stratmosphere,

Calaban pretty much gave you the key. Get your guitar and try what he is saying. At the 2:15 mark EJ is simply finding the octave for the 14 and 15 frets, which places it between the neck and middle pickup.

14. stratmosphere

stratmosphere Member

I get that I mean how do you find the octave with no frets to guide you? Guess and check?

15. KRosser

KRosser Member

Lenny got it from Chet Atkins, who I'm pretty sure was the original culprit

16. mcmurray

mcmurray Member

This is very basic knowledge and you should rectify that immediately. Guess and check, while the foundation of many a 'guitarists' method, really has no place if you want to learn how to play properly.

See this thread;

http://www.jsguitarforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56336

Along one string, an octave is a distance of 12 frets.

17. stratmosphere

stratmosphere Member

I know what an octave is, what I don't understand is how do I know that say between the middle and the neck pickup is 12 frets away from whatever not I am trying to get a harmonic of...Since there are no frets between the middle and the neck pickup how do i tell if I am where I should be? Listening to the note and identifying it in relation to the harmonic I am trying to make?

18. Calaban

Calaban Member

Stratmo,

You kind of have to guess and use your ear. If you know what an octave sounds like, find the place where the octave "fret" would likely be if there were frets (in between middle and neck pickup).

You need to visualize a fret that doesn't actually exist, try the harmonic, and see if it's an octave. If it's not, make small adjustments along the string with your index finger until you do find it.

As I said before, you may need to find your own way of positioning your hands (how you hold the pick, which finger plays the harmonic etc). It's doubtful you and EJ, or anyone for that matter, have the same hands and you'll probably need to experiment.

Patience is key. I never developed the patience for learning these little tricks..much to my own chagrin :(

Good luck!

19. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

While that's certainly possible, it seems like some of the composers for classical guitar would have stumbled across the technique.

20. stratmosphere

stratmosphere Member

Ohh ok yeah thats what I was wondering, thank you :)