Let's talk about 2013 Gibson Les Paul Standard neck size and feel

Asymmetrical '60s neck with compound radius fretboard.

Anyone playing this and love/hate it?

I'm in the market for a Les Paul Traditional or Standard. I'm finding the neck on the 2013 Traditionals to be a bit big for me, but the flip side is the 60's neck feels a little thin to me.

Any suggestions?

telejammer

I have a 2013 Les Paul Standard and think the neck is quite good. Its not too fat or too thin,sort of middle of the road per say.It does bends very well in the upper fret area that don't choke out and still ring out very well. I would say its not as fast for me as a Strat or MusicMan neck but I'm enjoying the change. I Like all the sound variations that can be had with the coil taps and out of faze switching that available. I can see myself keeping this guitar for a very long time,it just grows on me every time I play it.My advice would be to try to play both Les Pauls to see what is best for you.Good luck.

GarMan

Silver Supporting Member
I played a nice one at GC the other day. I loved the neck quite a bit! It is quite a weird thing, because it fills the hand quite well yet it feels thin at the same time? It was strange, but I really did enjoy the hell out of it. Very comfy.

BTW, I am not a gibby player at all really.

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
I have a 2010 Traditional (made in '11) that I love and the neck has just the right amount of beefiness, for me. Any 2013 Traditional I've tried has had a larger feeling neck than mine, FWIW. Too large for my liking.

Coldacre

I'm finding the neck on the 2013 Traditionals to be a bit big for me, but the flip side is the 60's neck feels a little thin to me.

Any suggestions?
spend some time with the big 50's neck

play it every day. for the first week it will feel weird. then all of a sudden it will feel normal. then you'll pick up a guitar with a thin neck and think "how did I ever play such a skinny little thing?"

I speak from experience.

mike361

My 13 traditional has a the 50 neck that I really like. I have long fingers so it fits me perfect. But what I really like is the sound from the thing. I think you can get used to just about anything except the real skinny ones. At least for me. I highly recommend the traditional. Played a standard the same day and I though the trad. sounded thicker and I did prefer the fatter neck.

My 13 traditional has a the 50 neck that I really like. I have long fingers so it fits me perfect. But what I really like is the sound from the thing. I think you can get used to just about anything except the real skinny ones. At least for me. I highly recommend the traditional. Played a standard the same day and I though the trad. sounded thicker and I did prefer the fatter neck.
I played several of both today and found the 50's felt very bulky and then Asymmetrical '60s neck felt like a toothpick. I'm gathering the compound radius fretboards are really popular at the moment. I don't know what was wrong with the regular 12" radius on Les Paul's. I suspect it's just another fad. But in the meantime, I'd like to find a Les Paul that is a solid body, and has vintage sounding pick ups and a neck that is comfortable. So far it seems the choice is a older used Standard (pre-chambered) or a 59 or 60 reissue (crazy $) or find a G0, which seems to be impossible. Very frustrating.

Trending Topics