Let's talk about Aerosmith- "Live Bootleg" album!

I had this when it was first released, and being a kid, it was the closest i would ever get to see the band in concert at that time.
I hadn't heard it in many years, but i've been listening to it a lot lately, and really digging it. Yes, the band was wasted, and burned out by the late 70's, but they could still kick some ass on stage if they managed to get it together.
"Lord Of The Thighs" on this record is probably my favorite Aerosmith performance ever, and overall, i don't think there's a performance here that i don't enjoy.
Sonically, there is great separation between Brad and Joe, and you can hear how they played off of each other.

Plus, for those of you old enough to remember vinyl, the original album came with a cool poster! ;)

Tone_Boss

Great album, I remember when it came out, was a big deal. Fantastic version of Back In The Saddle. Was the pinnacle of the band before all the horrendous power ballad bs.

Last edited:

erksin

Joe's slapback tones on 'Come Together' are the ones that I judge all others by. I friggin' love his phrasing on that song - so unique.

fjblair

Gold Supporting Member
I haven't heard it since it came out, my recollection is that it sucked. Think I should revisit.

Rumble

Instrumental Rocker
Gold Supporting Member
Have never heard the album, but saw them live in 1976 when they were at the top of their game. I've often wondered what that live album sounds like. Maybe I'll have to listen to a few tracks on the Y-tube.

DustyRhodesJr

Silver Supporting Member
I have that album and listen to it a lot. Still holds up well,
one of the better live albums ever.

27sauce

Joe's slapback tones on 'Come Together' are the ones that I judge all others by. I friggin' love his phrasing on that song - so unique.
Yes!
I came here to post this, almost word for word. This one and Last Child really stand out for me.
You can really hear how far they'd come from the two Paul's Mall songs to the later stuff, in such a short period
sick as a dog, lord of the thighs...ugh, one of my favorite albums ever. I believe there is only one "touch up", and it's the sped up Toys in the Attic. Everything else is truly live.

67blackcherry

A fantastic, rockin', drug fueled mess of a live album.
One of my favorites.
Absolutely!
Just the pic on the album sleeve of Joe Perry playing a Strat, while having a Les Paul hanging down on his back is priceless.
Yes and yes!!!
Lord of the Thighs is such a kick ass tune.... Brads solo is epic... And the picture of JP wearing a flannel short, hair in his eyes, holding up that red Bich just screams "rock 'n effing ROLL!!" to me....someone please post that shot!

paulbearer

GREAT record (s).

AND, that was not a Les Paul, but a Bich on his back, but yes, a legendary photo.

same guitar on texas jam:

27sauce

Isn't there a pic with the tobacco les paul on is back while he's playing the strat? He's wearing cowboy boots...it's on the sleeve, iirc. Post THAT pic!

Yer Blues

Get a Grip was the first Aerosmith album I got, but Live Bootleg was the second. I'm not even sure why I bought it? Maybe because I had heard old Aerosmith was "different" and it was the oldest album I could find at the store. I also remember reading about bootlegs in they were like $30 for a cd.... so I was pretty happy when I found a "bootleg" at the store.

I was definitely a fan of live albums as a kid..... Live Bootleg, AC/DC Live at Donington, ABB Live at Fillmore, Skynyrd One More For the Road, BB King Live at the Regal, and the Stones Get Your Ya Yas Out were my favorite albums by these bands as a kid. They were like live greatest albums with extended jamming.

Trending Topics