Let's talk about: Another Perfect Day by Motorhead

Interesting album this. Everyone has heard the stories about how Brian Robertson didn't fit in with the band, wearing ballet shoes etc. But the music is great: in the top four Motorhead albums for me, I reckon.

The band has a fatness to its sound that was not all that present in the Fast Eddie albums. Pretty heavy too, like Dancing On Your Grave and Another Perfect Day - but also melodic. The B-side Turn You Round Again starts like a whipcrack, just delightful.

And it goes without saying that Robbo was a great player. Weirdly though, he sounded more Motorhead than Thin Lizzy.

Comments?

NHDave

Silver Supporting Member
I liked it. Actually saw them live in Rhode Island that tour. Some good tunes. I think Lemmy is underrated for ability to write catchy tunes I got mine, dr rock, killed by death, rock and roll. Ramones, could go on.

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
I could see where Robbo as a person would be a real 'put off' to the motorhead crowd, but that album was amazing not only in the melody and song structures, but also in production value. I really like this one too, although I think they were REALLY firing on all cylinders again with "Bastards".

Skeet skeet!

Ive got this in my ipod rotation as a thin lizzy fan and as someone who dabbles with motorhead.

I like it! Some of the tracks like Religion are completely forgettable but there are a half dozen tracks i would put on my motorhead compilation album

Last edited:

NashSG

Lemmy in his book notes that the album itself has held up pretty well but the band's popularity cratered that time Robertson was in the band.

I'd put in the upper 1/3 of their albums. They put it out a couple years ago paired with a second live CD recorded at the Manchester Apollo 1983 with Robertson. It's a good live record, quite well recorded.

watson503

I used to share a house with two of the Angels. They liked the band so we kind of got associated and they felt very protective. We had [guitarist] Brian Robertson with us from Thin Lizzy, a suave dresser. He always had this thing about being the guest artiste, so he tried to stand out with his clothes. We did a stadium gig at Hackney Speedway which the Angels had put on. So we were surrounded by these massive, tough Hell's Angels, and Robbo comes out with these tight little green satin shorts and ballet shoes on. There was a lot of muttering, you could feel it was turning nasty. Someone said, "Who's that **** with the satin shorts on?" "That's Motorhead's new guitar player." "Ah... Let's kill him." Robbo doesn't know how he came close to dying for those shorts.

GibsonMarshallguy41

love this album... too bad they only made one with this line-up. some great songs here, and way better production than the previous album (Iron Fist).

cameron

I saw them on that tour. I'd seen them on the Ace of Spades and Iron Fist tours as well. I've never seen them since. And I've never listened to one of their albums all the way through after listening to Another Perfect Day the first time.

I saw the last show with Eddie Clarke (Palladium, NY in '82) - that really was the end. It's great that Lemmy kept it going, but he never got a band like that together again.

wattage

Love the album! I Got Mine, crazy for that tune. Saw the tour Robbo was being a twat, looking like Olivia Newton John ffs. He played great though it was odd as hell seeing what he was doing.

monwobobbo

have the CD in my car right now. good album and it's to bad that that version of the band didn't last longer. saw the tour at a bar and it was the loudest show i've ever been at. the only sucky thing was that they did very few older tunes. good show though

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
Im not even a real Motorhead fan but thats one great album. I still listen to it, but my girlfriend tells me I have a ONE TRACK MIND anyway. She hates that song which makes me dig it even more.
:dude:dude:dude

Go Cat Go!!

Saw them on that tour. The volume rearranged my organs, still can;t find my spleen. Great album. I love the little cartoon on the inner sleeve with Robbo trying to teach the band chords. Hilarious!

chris lykins

Silver Supporting Member
Count me in as a fan of that album. This and Bastards are my 2 favorite non original line up albums!

michael patrick

Loud and proud
Silver Supporting Member
It's a good album, but my view of the Robbo era is colored by seeing them at one of the first shows that Robbo played with them a couple of days after Eddie split. It was sad, easily the worst Motorhead show I ever saw. Robbo didn't know the Motorhead material so they played old rock and blues covers, and not very well at that. I think they'd have been better off just cancelling the shows.

Heinz57Pep

It's a good album, but my view of the Robbo era is colored by seeing them at one of the first shows that Robbo played with them a couple of days after Eddie split. It was sad, easily the worst Motorhead show I ever saw. Robbo didn't know the Motorhead material so they played old rock and blues covers, and not very well at that. I think they'd have been better off just cancelling the shows.
Yeah it was the live presentation that killed that lineup. Robbo's inability or unwillingness to learn older material, his look, and the musical chemistry (I have a King Biscuit Flower Hour show from that tour recorded at L'Amours in Brooklyn and it is horrible). Solid album though.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom