Let's talk about compact delay-verbs...

coltonius

Señor Member
Specifically, these:

• EQD Dispatch Master
• VFE Yodeler/ Ravine
• Mr. Black Ambience

I've had a Dispatch Master in the past, and I really liked the atmosphere it can add without getting too crazy.. On the other hand, I really dig that soupy, edge-of-oscillation sound that some delays can give (which the EQD does not).

Do the VFE and Mr. Black pedals achieve the same soupy atmosphere as the Dispatch Master? And what do they do that's different/better? Asking because the current demos don't really go after that sound, and it's hard to tell.

TGP Disclaimer: I really like the size and price point of these 3, but I'm sure there are a million options out there. If it fits in this size/price point, lay it on me! But please leave your BJFE recommendations at home. ;)

kludge

The droid you're looking for
Gold Supporting Member
And do any of them offer trails? I really need that. I'd probably have bought a Dispatch Master already if it wasn't true bypass.

gearscrubs

I really like the Dispatch Master, but haven't tried the other ones. I have tried the Neunaber echo verb algo and the one in the Red Panda Context (not as compact). Both are good, but I like the DM better for combined sounds.

The dispatch master is awesome.

The boss rv-3 is awesome.

The mr black ambience sounds nothing like a delay/reverb. It's more like an afterneath with fewer repeats. I sold mine right away. It wasn't very useful to me.

sleewell

Sold my dispatch master for a keeley caverns and am very happy. Both are good pedals though.

coltonius

Señor Member
Great suggestions! I was afraid the Mr. Black wouldn't be quite in league; glad I asked. :)

You may want to look at the Coldcraft Echoverberator
I like the idea of this one, but there's a single YouTube demo featuring an ice pick/thin guitar.

la noise

The dispatch master is awesome.

The boss rv-3 is awesome.

The mr black ambience sounds nothing like a delay/reverb. It's more like an afterneath with fewer repeats. I sold mine right away. It wasn't very useful to me.
I always end up back at the RV-3. Rocked
the Dispatch Master. In fact, you sold me
my first one many a moon ago, Gene. ;)

Loved that pedal but ran into headroom
issues with it over and over again. You
can hit the front end too hard. That clipping
ended up becoming too problematic, for me. :dunno

DaveKS

I've got Ravine, deep rich atmospheric is not its thing. Slapback, rockabilly and spaghetti western is where this pedal excels. Love it for this, running in parallel mode, buffer/trails on. The reverb has kind of a sproing to it but I tamed that a bit using the internal high feedback trim. The footswitch hold and release feature is cool as is its momentary mode. Delay has this bouncy, semi-bright tone.

Now take it, keep mixes low and feed it out into that Hermida Reverb 3 as a more pristine wash after its parallel verb/delay, that is tasty. But still very much in the spaghetti western type of stuff. I guess that's a ambient style but not what most think of when they think ambient delay/verbs, more akin to what my Adineko does.

For ambient type stuff I'd look elsewhere. Probably Caverns.

Kestrel

I had an EQD Dispatch Master on my pedalboard a while back. Sounded really good, similar in many wsys to the Keeley Caverns I now have on my board. I'm liking the Caverns more than the DM. I especially love the modulated mode on the Caverns. Very lush and beautiful sounding. The shimmer mode is okay. I'm not a huge fan of that type of octave effect on reverbs. It can sound amazing, like on the Neunaber Seraphim, but to me it's the type of effect that can get old sounding really fast. On the Caverns it does sounds nice (although not as ethereal as the Neunaber Seraphim), and you can tweak the effect level to minimise the intensity of the shimmer effect. No trails on the Keeley Caverns though. Still, that didn't stop me from getting one, and I'm glad I did.

I always end up back at the RV-3. Rocked
the Dispatch Master. In fact, you sold me
my first one many a moon ago, Gene. ;)

Loved that pedal but ran into headroom
issues with it over and over again. You
can hit the front end too hard. That clipping
ended up becoming too problematic, for me. :dunno
That's awesome! I'm still a big fan of both pedals.

Trending Topics