Let’s talk about Dr Zs!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tele81, Mar 19, 2019.

1. bradtfw

bradtfw Member

I’ve got a 2011 KT-45 incoming. It will be the second time that I’ve owned this amp. I’m looking for big cleans now. The first time I owned one I wanted it for the dirty tones, but couldn’t use it anywhere at that volume.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    ROKY and PerryR like this.
  2. melodiusthunk

melodiusthunk Bronzd & Supported Member Silver Supporting Member

Uggghh....:brick

3. scelerat

scelerat Silver Supporting Member

I've had a 2000-ish interstate logo Route 66, in blonde with matching Z-Best, for over ten years now. It was an amp I pined for and saved up for and bought (used). Still love it.
    My early Mesa Marks work a little better for the main project I'm doing now, but man that Route 66 is sweet. I will never get rid of it. That amp, more than any other, has led to more "tone" compliments from non-musicians than every other amp I have combined.

PerryR and bradtfw like this.
  4. Jaguarguy

Jaguarguy Supporting Member

5. Peps

Peps Fuzzonaut / Fuzzombie / Fuzz Magisterium Bishop Gold Supporting Member

Carmen Ghia, Maz 18, Z28, Galaxie, Prescription Jr, Stang Ray, Route 66, Remedy, Therapy. All heads and all fantastic. I sold them cause I only play at home now, so I prefer combo. I still have the Ghia :)

Te amo Carmen!

PerryR likes this.
  6. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

Looking forward to hearing your report.
    Love my Maz. Considering grabbing a mkII to compare, or possibly an older one and then getting the update/mods.

Cheers

7. TB72

TB72 Member

Yup, guilty as charged! :rotflmao

I have to say, that's overall my fave amp of all time.

I also have an Antidote head, which hasn't seen a whole lot of action lately. That will change pretty soon though, with festival season approaching (that amp seems to thrive outdoors on a large stage).

Flyin' Brian likes this.
  8. Tele81

Tele81 Member

For you Z owners. Which Z in your experience has the most “sag”. I know Zs tend to be more immediate. I’d like to get something a little more spongy sounding to go with my EZG.

9. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

Galaxie... not made anymore but there are lots of used ones and they sell for good prices. Z's version of a Tweed fender super. It's more immediate than a fender but it's still saggy When you Crank It Up..

10. Tele81

Tele81 Member

Really? I had the galaxie just prior to this ezg and didn’t really find it “spongy”.

11. bradtfw

bradtfw Member

Just picked-up a KT-45 and it did not disappoint. The cleans sound great even at low volumes, but get fuller and better higher on the dial.

When compared to my Hiwatt DR103, it has similar depth and clarity, but it sounds juicier and and more pleasant. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Also, I know that the Hiwatt is a highly regarded pedal platform, but my RAT and Lunar Module sound much better (to my ears) through the KT 45.

I’ve been thinking about selling my Hiwatt for years now, but I might just do it this time...

PerryR likes this.
  12. Always-Ben

Always-Ben Supporting Member

Any one who tried the Z-Master yet? Thoughts on its base tone? What kind of music would you want to be going for?