Let’s talk about Dr Zs!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tele81, Mar 19, 2019.

1. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

@tele_jas " But, I always come back to Dr. Z."

I woke up this morning wanting a Ghia...go figure.

Tele81 likes this.
  2. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Supporting Member

The Maz 18 is probably my favorite Z amp. I will grab another one some day.

Off topic but Dr. Z has some great Kemper profiles. I use the Maz one all the time. ;)

DeadLazy and Tele81 like this.
  3. Tele81

Tele81 Member

I seem to always end up back with a Z as well. I’ve had the z28, Maz 18/38, galaxie, Ghia, ezg 50, jaz 20/40, Zlux and the Stang Ray. I’m back in a Maz 18 and it feels like home.

friend33 and DeadLazy like this.
  4. bigben55

bigben55 Member

The Z28 is the only amp I've owned, sold, and missed so much I bought it again.

DeadLazy likes this.
  5. Joshlespaul1952

Joshlespaul1952 Supporting Member

Just got a Prescription Jr. today! Only thing I’ve been able to run it through is a V30. Yikes. it’s so trebly; if I had to wager, I’d say this is sorta what a lobotomy feels like. Don’t get me wrong—I love the amp with the treble set low, and the seller was perfectly ideal. :beer

Whole point being—what speaker do you use for your RX Jr? I was thinking a G12H30 would be good; my sorely missed Maz 18 NR combo had one.

(that’s right after I unpacked it; I’m running the treble below 9 o’clock now)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  6. nb_fan

nb_fan Member

That’s odd - I have run my RX Jr with a Celestion V30 (from Mesa/boogie) and an Alnico Gold. With the gold, it is brighter and a bit more strident in the treble frequencies so I back off the treble to about 11 o clock, but with the V30 I have no issues running treble at noon.

If anything I have had trouble with too much bass, where my bass is usually backed off to about 10 clock.

Maybe you can try changing the tubes?

Joshlespaul1952 likes this.
  7. Joshlespaul1952

It came with JJs, which I think are quite dark. However, I haven’t really cranked it; the treble could be more prevalent when I’m putting a lot of preamp gain through a master volume thresher...? Plus, this is a relatively new cab, so perhaps the V30 hasn’t been worn in. Even if not, it’s sorta academic; I love the amp—it’s just the lowest I’ve ever set treble on any amp.

The bass! My God, the bass. This Mesa is a behemoth of a 1x12, but, still—the Dr. Z sounds HUGE. As I said, I love it.

8. DeadLazy

DeadLazy Member

I see a lot of comments about people always returning to a Z amp.

I was flipping amps like crazy before I got my Maz18 (I found one used) and then my ZLux new.

The ZLux is the most I’ve spent on an amp but it was worth it. I was flipping amps so much it had become a problem. We all know the story.

I read those posts as cautionary but I also haven’t had the urge to even browse amps since the ZLux showed up at my door.

I feel retired from amp chasing. I’d like to collect up more Z’s and I’ll probably get a Kemper..... to make my own profiles and use the Z profiles.

I don’t have the money right now, but when I have amp money again I will buy a new Z. I started keeping a lazy eye out for any older models though.

BlueRiff likes this.
  9. petty1818

petty1818 Member

I really want to try the Jetta. The buzz around it has dropped off rather quickly but it looks and sounds like a killer amp.

10. Musicbox Superhero

Musicbox Superhero Gold Supporting Member

How are you finding the Maz18 vs the Zlux? I only have funding for one (my first Z) and am having trouble deciding between the two. I’m looking for a head mainly for cleans that will be great with pedals. I don’t have either locally to try so any opinions would help!

11. Zooey

Zooey Member

I do feel like that's the flagship of the line. I've bought and sold other models, but my 2001 Maz Jr. is a keeper for the past 18 years.

Flatscan and PerryR like this.
  12. Teleplayer

Teleplayer New Mods On The Block Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Open back 1x12 loaded with either a Scumback M75 or Celestion M65.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  13. Joshlespaul1952

Didn’t even consider the open back aspect. I think this is the single most percussive and bass heavy amp I’ve ever had, and bloody Nora I love it. Only amp I’ve had to take off the floor to reduce bass, in fact...

I hate to admit it, but I’m woefully unaware of the finer details of Scumback speakers. Does the M75 have a more general equivalent? Like, y’know, the Weber (I think) Blue Dawg and a Celestion blue. Thank you!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  14. Teleplayer

Teleplayer New Mods On The Block Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

The Scumback M is akin to a Celestion G12-M65. And for your amp, I owuld definitely consider a bit larger open back (or convertible back) cabinet.

15. Alpione

Alpione Supporting Member

I put a WGS ET65 in mine and it tamed the highs a bit. It had a UK Greenback in there when I got it and while that was good for the rock stuff, I prefer the ET65 for cleaner tones.

Mine is an older Maz 18 Jr Reverb upgraded to Mk 2. Definitely "immediate" and still occasionally "strident" but also definitely better with the Mk2 changes. I tried a 5U4 rectifier in there and it did have a bit more sag, though only at pretty high volume, but it reduced headroom enough that I had trouble getting cleans at high volume so I swapped it back.

Overall I really enjoy the amp and the Mk 2 upgrade made a big difference. After trying lots of options I've settled on an edge of breakup baseline with pedals for more. The pedals help with adding some compression and a bit of a sag feel. I think the "issue" is that there's so much power on tap, even for an 18 watter, that you have to be at stage volume to generate much sag. I want to add a 6V6 amp or similar as a complement at some point.

16. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

Me too. OK, I've also gone through three used DRRIs over the years but I think I've finally kicked myself of that habit. I've owned many Z's and am now down to the Z-28 and Therapy heads.

Tele81, bigben55 and rhinocaster like this.
  17. rhythmark

rhythmark Member

I love my Zssss

I currently use /have
    Cure-
    Zlux-
    Zwreck-1x12
    Zmaster-
    I enjoy them immensely!

Ive also had
    Carmen ghia-1x10
    And zwreck head @ 2x12

friend33 and PerryR like this.
  18. wreckmark

wreckmark Supporting Member

The JETTA IS a killer little beast. So simple yet versatile.
    I love the volume and low end of this little combo. Small, lightweight, low cost, THICK tones!!

Get’em before the price goes up!

19. LeftyGuitarist

LeftyGuitarist Member

I just crossed one off the bucketlist yesterday and joined the Z Club. It's an '05 Maz 18 with reverb. The previous owner installed a Hellatone 30 speaker. I don't know much about it but it sounds great.

[​IMG]

20. mallcorn

mallcorn Member

I have played a couple, EZG-50 and EMS, but the only one I have ever purchased and still own is the Z-Lux combo. Great amp. I love to tinker but this amp is great stock. I sold a Fender Deluxe Custom Shop '64HW for the Z-Lux. It also sound really killer with a Revival Drive in front of it. I also own a Metro-plex and a Marshall 1959HW.