Let’s talk about Dr Zs!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tele81, Mar 19, 2019.

1. aussie_gear_maestro

aussie_gear_maestro Member

Is
    Is your cab open or closed back??

2. aussie_gear_maestro

I'm really regretting not buying the z lux when it was on a crazy sale here in Australia. The 40 z watts scared me off. Is the l z lux and ezg similar??

RLP likes this.
  3. communarchy

communarchy Supporting Member

The ET65 is a clone of a Celestion g12-65. I’m not aware of if WGS has a Creamback m65 clone, but I know they have a high wattage Greenback clone.

4. aussie_gear_maestro

O
    On the website WGS states the ET65 is a crramback upgrade. Others have mentioned the z12 so that should be the pick

5. communarchy

We have nearly the entire WGS lineup at the shop.

“The ET65's creamy lows blend with tight midrange and sparkling highs for some of the best tones ever created. This speaker is for classic rock, country, and blues. Upgrade from your Celestion™ G12-65.”

https://wgsusa.com/et65

The Z12 will be little darker than an ET65, and have a little punchier response.

Tele81 likes this.
  6. aussie_gear_maestro

The et sounds amazing with Fuchs amps, bit through the maz18 it's only good for rock stuff, that it does impeccably

7. aussie_gear_maestro

It's wierd chasing American 6v6 type tones from the Maz but it's bloody totally capable of it .

If the rig is set up right these 2/4 positions on Strat sound amazing also the bridge never gets ice picky ever maxed out

RLP likes this.
  8. man_mars

man_mars Member

Looking forward to hearing the new Z-Wreck Jr. & the 'High gain' amp in collaboration with Alan Phillips of Carol Ann Amps.

RLP likes this.
  9. DR.Z

DR.Z Gold Supporting Member

The Z Wreck Jr. is in production.
    I have two units out for demo videos.
    I hope to have units in stores for release right after NAMM.

Received the Carol Ann Collaboration amp back from Alan yesterday, all I can say is WOW.
    Alan designed it, I built the first prototype , sent it Alan for some tweaks and just got it back.
    Don't have enough time with it yet to fully define its tone, but it is a High Gain , Extremely Smooth amp with great feel.
    It is unique as all Alan's designs are, original and not a copy of prior amp art.
    I hope to have it finalized and in production by mid 2020.

Z

10. DeadLazy

DeadLazy Member

I can’t tell you what it’s similar to outside of that when I got my ZLux, that it had the same front end as the Maz18 made it an option. That, and they share the same boost.

It does do 20/40 watts and that was perfect for me.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    RLP likes this.
  11. RLP

RLP Member

Great, great news! Alan really knows his stuff, and with your keen eye, it's gonna be a rocker, for sure. It's also a good way for us to keep enjoying his work, since he stopped building...
    Very excited about the Wreck Jr.

Love your work. The Ezg50 is one of my favorite amps of all time.

Cheers

12. RLP

RLP Member

T
    They share some similarities in the sense that they both draw influences from blackface amps. However, I'd say that the Zlux compresses more and can be pushed more easily, due the front-end being kinda Maz-ish. The Ezg, ONTOH, stays clean almost all the way and, when it does start to overdrive, it's already too loud for most uses. It also has more bass than the Zlux when used with the matching cab (no idea about other cabs...).

aussie_gear_maestro and DeadLazy like this.
  13. dsw67

dsw67 Supporting Member

I remember Buddy Whittington with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers and thinking that was some of the best guitar tones I'd ever heard. I found out later he was playing a Dr. Z but I can't remember which one.

communarchy and DeadLazy like this.
  14. communarchy

MAZ 38

dsw67 likes this.
  15. LeftyGuitarist

LeftyGuitarist Member

I set up my pedalboard for an FX loop with the volume and two delays in the loop. When I proceeded to hook it up to my newly-purchased 2005 Maz 18, to my surprise, I learned it has no loop. It appears the early generation reverbs did not have the loop.

I've decided to send it in for the MK II mod and to add the loop. It'll be my 60th birthday present.

Phil M likes this.
  16. dsw67

dsw67 Supporting Member

Sounded glorious, thanks for the info.

17. Tele81

Tele81 Member

I’ve owned the WGS et65 as well. IMO the z12 and the g12m65 sound better.

18. aussie_gear_maestro

The
    The new Carol Ann/dr z high gain amp is news to my ears, also the z wreck jr where does everyone find out about this stuff

19. aussie_gear_maestro

Well I'm looking forward to the z wreck jr, but I still rekon the z plus is totally under rated, bloody great amp.

20. aussie_gear_maestro

Is there a difference between the ET65 and the crramback? I thought that the ET65 was just a WGS copy of the creamback, as sort of stated on the website.