Let’s talk about Dr Zs!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tele81, Mar 19, 2019.

1. No_Stairway

No_Stairway Supporting Member

I seriously had doubts about the Dr Z CG, I mean 2 knobs how could that be good. Had I not already succumbed to pedal GAS I might not have bought it but man no pedals attached and it sounds so good, breaks up so early. Just add somenOD and a delay or Reverb and you can ger serious sound at bedroomish levels.

2. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Umm, Dr. Z himself on page 13 of this thread ... :D

3. man_mars

man_mars Member

About the Z-Wreck Jr, Dr.Z mentions it here on this video (along with a first look of the amp) and about the Carol Ann, he replied to a question on the comments section of this same video when asked about 'what's the highest gain amp that Dr.Z makes' :D

aussie_gear_maestro likes this.
  4. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

[​IMG]

A modern Classic!

Snake_charmer, bigben55 and PerryR like this.
  5. communarchy

communarchy Supporting Member

The ET65 is clone of the late 70s silverback g12-65 found like the earliest 800 series cabs. It was reissued as the Heritage g12-65. The Creamback m65 is a totally new speaker that Celestion made in the last decade that has no WGS counterpart. They are two wildly different speakers in sound. The former has a scooped midrange while the later has a lot of midrange and smooth top end.

6. SR65LE#31

SR65LE#31 Member

Stang Ray head, SRZ#65LE head, Carmen Ghia head, and Remedy head. Each one has its own special character and is exceptional in its ability to produce excellent tones simply and reliably, and its tendency to inspire musical expression. A Stratocaster through the Stang Ray is an excellent match and a pure joy. The SRZ is a Rock ‘n Roll beast with the force of a hammer and the finesse of a dancer. The Carmen Ghia is “the People’s Amp,” simple, expressive, very easy to dial in quickly and get playing; it takes pedals really well. The Remedy is simple, flexible, iconic sounding, and hits a”sweet spot” in terms of “power to weight ratio.”

The good Doctor is absolutely the real deal. He designs and makes great amps that are straightforward, reliable, an excellent value, easy to use, dependable, invaluable tools for professional musicians, and fun and inspiring for artists and hobbyists alike His approach and philosophy reminds me of things I’ve read about Leo Fender’s approach to this sort of work. For a designer/manufacturer of musical instruments, that’s a special club for sure. Thank you Doc for it all.

7. mallcorn

mallcorn Member

No. The EZG-50 is mid scooped and sounds a LOT like a Super Reverb. The Z-Lux sounds like a Deluxe Reverb with more mids. I had a '64 hand-wired DR for a year and traded it for the Z-Lux and have never regretted it. It is kind of like Fender meets Marshall. Love the 20/40, Master Volume, Mid Control, Boost. It is just a really good amp.

8. aussie_gear_maestro

aussie_gear_maestro Member

This amp is without a doubt one of the most unique amps I have ever heard, the way it produces more gain and gets thicker as the e.q and volume go up is wicked.

But as I play at home these days it's way to loud and no tube reverb.

Convince me to buy one please

9. aussie_gear_maestro

Now this makes a lot of sense because the new creamback is used in many clean/blues amps.

10. aussie_gear_maestro

Can't believe I didn't buy it when I had the chance, sounds perfect.

11. Monster265

Monster265 Supporting Member

Red MAZ 38 into a Z Best Cab position behind EC. Fat and Rich Tone, and some great guitar work.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    dsw67 likes this.
  12. guitarlix

guitarlix Member

I'm not a Dr Z owner but looking to learn more. Based on my quick informal survey of all posts here it appears that the Maz 18 II, Gia and the Z Lux are cropping up as some of the more popular models. Any thoughts on why?

13. communarchy

communarchy Supporting Member

The MAZ 18 Mk. II amp is an overall versatile amp that punches above it's weight class in terms of volume. The original became really popular in the 2000s with country players as that style of music was really on the rise, and the MK II update was to address some complaints with the original and make it overall more versatile for many styles of music. The MK II model itself has become very popular again, and is our best seller by far. We get dozens of older amps in a year for the update.

The Ghia is one of the first, if not the first boutique lunchbox sized amp, and it came out in the early 90s when channel switchers were all the rage. It appealed to the no-frills, blues and jazz players who just wanted to go straight into the amp and play with no knob fiddling. There wasn't really any new production amps on the market being made with this sort of aesthetic in mind at the time.

Finally, the Z-Lux is a souped up American voiced amp. Dr. Z rarely looked to blackface style circuits up to this point, so it was some what of a new direction when it came out. So a lot of players who weren't interested in our EL84 offerings dipped their toes into the Z line with this amp, and it proved to be pretty popular.

14. DeadLazy

DeadLazy Member

I opened up the taps on my Maz 18 jr wr today. It’s an MK 1 but has been updated by Z with some two features. Most importantly the boost.

It gets so loud. I run it into a 16ohm speaker from the 8ohm tap. I crank both master and volume to 75% percent and use my guitar volume. At reasonable levels it has all the stuff I love about single coils and Strats but is fat and warm. It’s an amazing amp.

I leave the boost on with both most the time. They share the same boost.

I also own a ZLux. I run that the same way and, set at 20 watts, I feel like the Maz is louder. I usually run that at 40 and opened the taps on that today and every time I’m amazed.

15. Alpione

Alpione Supporting Member

Good summary. To add to this, I had my older 1999 Maz 18 Reverb upgraded to Mk2 last year. I bought it used and honestly kind of regretted it. Great tones available, but only at ear splitting volume and it could be shrill and noisy .

Mk2 was a big upgrade. Master volume, reverb, gain, tone, noise floor, all improved.

For a single channel amp it’s as versatile as you get. Changing just the Mid control gets you from Fenderish to Vox to Marshall. It has High and Low gain inputs and I use a foot switch to toggle between them for various tones. Takes pedals great.

Not perfect. Reverb is a little much. Can still be a little shrill. (Cut control is critical) But Mk2 is a far better amp than Mk1 to me.

16. GeetarTK

GeetarTK Member

Getting my first Dr. Z early next week, a DB4! Played one side by side to a Maz18 mk2 NR. Both amps have their own thing, with the maz being more strident to my ears, which might be great in a full band situation. The db4 had more full range of frequencies, and some describe it as dark, which i’m not sure i agree with. Using some overdrive with eq solved everything for me, and i could get the db4 to be “like” the maz but harder the other way around, even with the full three band eq on the maz. Maybe a function of master volume vs. non master. I couldn’t get a harsh tone out of the db4, and i tried. Some have described my playing style as jeff buckley, bon iver, wilco; this is the best amp i’ve ever played. I’m by no means that experienced with boutique amps, but wanted to share my thoughts. Recently owned a two-rock jet 35 and just sold it. I read an interview with Z where he talks, as a designer, about the connection between the amp, cab and speaker, and i really felt that unity for the first time in awhile. 3D and welcoming, like a woman (or man) with open arms, offering you some dank Pho on a cold day. Played through it with both a les paul style guitar and my amazing Knaggs severn (single coils) and simply turned that 5-way rotary as needed, kept the cut at noon. What black magic is this? 3 knobs is all i need? insane.

aaronblues likes this.
  17. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

I've been through a lot of amps in the last couple of years, and my Dr. Z Jetta into a 1x12 Creamback M65 is by far the happiest I have been with my tone in quite some time. It's a really, really unique amp. It reminds me of my old Route 66 in some ways, as far as comparing it to other Z amps I've plated.

That said, it's this strange mix of Hiwatt and Marshall to my ears. The mids are strong in this amp. It thumps you in the chest in a really big way, and takes pedals like it was made specifically for them.

I really couldn't be happier. I'll probably mess with tubes in it soon, just for fun.

[​IMG]

bradtfw likes this.
  18. Sardocasm

Sardocasm cupcakes Supporting Member

I’m now on my second Z, a Prescription Jr. Years ago I ordered a new KT45 and I could not get rid of that thing fast enough. I had it a total of two days before taking it back to the shop and ordering a Carr. I don't know if it was the amp or the Z-best cab I was running it through, but it had some frequency response that was giving me severe ear fatigue after about ten minutes of use.

Fast forward a decade and my Diezel Herbert is in the shop and I find myself wanting a simple, little, not-expensive amp to plink around on until my main beast is back up and running. For whatever reason, I keep thinking back to Dr Z and feeling like I didn't give the brand a fair shake. The RX models have always been the model I most associated with Dr Z, so I decided to take a gamble on the Jr since it had a master volume.

I'm running it through a Diezel 4x12 with front loaded Celestion K100s and I am floored by how great this amp sounds. I've never owned an EL84 amp that I actually liked, so this is a mind melting experience for me. Every day I play it I like it more than the last. The tone and feel are unlike anything I've ever experienced, being immediate and lively, but not harsh.

Such a pleasant surprise overall, as I was expecting that I'd hate this one, too. :brick