Let’s talk about Dr Zs!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tele81, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Crikey

Crikey Member

Mazerati 1x12, second boutique amp I ever bought
    6545, was probably the third boutique amp I ever bought
    Mini-Z, the original 1x8 without the attenuator
    Delta 88. Hellz yeah!
    Z28 head

I’ve never been able to sell a Dr. Z amp. I’ve never been able to break one, either, aside from blowing the G12H30 in my Mazerati.

I’ve played an EZG-50, a MAZ 18, another Z28, an M12, a Z-Wreck, a Route 66, a 25th Anniversary Carmen Ghia, and a Z-Master. All killer.

I want to at least play all of the other models, particularly the Mazerati GT, Route 66, Z-Master, Therapy, Cure . . .

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    5cr33nager, rhinocaster and Smashies like this.
  2. Teleplayer

Teleplayer New Mods On The Block Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, the Z-Master is a really tempting buy.

Here are a few pics of the amps mentioned in my prior post:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On stage with my TopHat Emplexador Junior 1x12 High Gain Proto in an A/B amp rig:

[​IMG]

The black/white RxES is the one that @DR.Z tuned up himself. Stellar sounding amp.

3. cap217

cap217 Member

The rxes was my favorite of the z amps. I kept my z wreck for the lingest but replaced that with a Bruno ug30. But I miss the rxes. The only issue was every ef86 got noisy on me. Hated that.

4. Tele81

Tele81 Member

I’ve got the EZG 50 and the therapy right now. The Z28 is the one I miss the most of all the Zs I’ve owned. The EZG has the best onboard reverb I’ve ever heard in an amp, that being said I’ve considered moving my therapy on another z28. Volume bass and treble soooo simple and easy to get great tones. That ef86 seems to absorb any pedal you throw at it. Great amp!

5. Teleplayer

Interestingly, I have a few NOS EF86 tubes that I used in my RxES combo and Ray heads. Dario, Tesla (the real Tesla, not the JJ crapola), Telefunken, RFT, AER and 1-2 others I am not recalling right now. Not to be funny, but I never had an issue with a noisy EF86.

6. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

This is a REALLY great setup...the good doctor really delivered something special with the Z-Master.

[​IMG]

screamtone, Crikey, Faze and 6 others like this.
  7. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I've had a Maz 18 NR, Z-28, and M-12. The Maz 18 NR is still the best amp I've ever owned or played through. Simply stunning!

rhinocaster and Tele81 like this.
  8. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

That blond Remedy I sold you was a gorgeous sounding amp. What was I thinking?

Faze and aaronblues like this.
  9. Snake_charmer

Snake_charmer Member

Currently own a z28 and Db4 in head/cab configurations. They sound good (z28 more so without pedals) but with the ef86 and pedals they both sound AMAZING. You just have to find the tone you’re looking for in each with specific pedals. Initially, I struggled with the db4 like many due to its “dark” nature but quickly found a glorious tone with a few good pedals. Reminds me of a larger scale m12 in the regards that it sounds best with pedals (some may disagree).

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  10. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Have owned a couple Carmen Ghia's...it is one of those amps that you find yourself GAS'n for when it is gone. Have played a M12 and want to try a maz18 and a RXjr.

Great products, and the guys over at Z-Talk are top notch.

lakesider and rhinocaster like this.
  11. Teleplayer

Yeah - Z-Talk is a good hang. Lots of good information there about all Z models.

s360guitarist and rhinocaster like this.
  12. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

The only thing I noticed with the M12 was that it needed to be turned up loud to sound good with or without pedals. I bought it for smaller clubs thinking that it could be ideal for lower volume shows and it turned out to be the one Z I've owned that really needed to roar to sound get....at least to my ear.

13. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

I have an '01 Ghia and a '10 Wreck (#12). Love the simplicity of these amps!
    Either one can easily manage a gig without the need of a pedal board.
    I look at the Ghia as the little brother of the Wreck.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Crikey and rhinocaster like this.
  14. mattsmusic

mattsmusic Supporting Member

Yeah it's unfortunately EF86's do that, happens to mine too!

What do you think about the UG30? It was between that and The RX when I originally bought it but I have never got to play one myself! The Z Wreck is on my future list as well..

15. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Supporting Member

Yalls demo of the Nova sounded great- what speakers were miced for that?

That Nova really has my interest. Would love a portable gig mobile that didn't need any pedals.

mattsmusic likes this.
  16. communarchy

communarchy Supporting Member

It would appear that they are using the Z-Best cab with the bottom speaker mic'ed looking at the mic stand, though it's hard to see since the mic is off camera. The bottom speaker is an Celestion H30. The top is usually a V30 or a Creamback M65. The NOVA combo usually comes with an H30. To my ears, it sounds like an H30, but @mattsmusic can confirm. Chris and folks at Matt's Music never cease to get the best possible sounds out of our amps. Always reliably true to sound.

17. Zooey

Zooey Member

Maz Jr. (old, with reverb)
    Maz Sr. (old)
    KT-45 (old)

I got the Sr. because I needed more headroom, but otherwise loved the Jr. To my disappointment, the 38 is not just a louder version of the 18. Or at least it didn't sound that way to me.

The KT-45 was super cool, but I had a hard time getting it to stay clean at the volume I needed at the time, even after retube/rebias. Which would have been great in a different situation, but didn't work for me at the time.

I still have the Maz Jr., which I love despite its faults.

kingink likes this.
  18. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I'm really interested in the Stangray and the MAZ 38. Are there any other Z amps that have some Voxy character? The Stangray is almost too voxy for my taste, super lean until you turn it quite a ways up. Anybody able to direct me to some clips where these amps are used with pedals?

19. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Supporting Member

Turs out it was a V30 that was miced.

20. communarchy

communarchy Supporting Member

The Z-Wreck is also vox-like in character. It is a collaboration between Ken Fischer of Trainwreck, Dr. Z, and Brad Paisley. They were aiming for the ultimate "top boost AC30" type sound. The Stang-Ray is like the early EF86 Vox amps but with much more headroom. It is basically a clean amp, it distorts very late in the volume range, making it ideal for a person who plays with a lot of pedals.