Let’s talk about Dr Zs!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tele81, Mar 19, 2019.

1. 5cr33nager

5cr33nager Member

@rhinocaster I noticed the master volume on the Carmen Ghia. That’s interesting.

LordByron and rhinocaster like this.
  2. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

It's a nice addition to the amp. I'd always wanted to try a Carmen Ghia but I'm not really a big EL84 fan and I always found a way to buy something else instead when it came time to try out another amp.

I stumbled across the 25th Anniversary model on Reverb and liked the super compact size that was a nod to the first Carmen Ghia heads that Dr Z made. It seemed like the post phase inverter master might be nice as I'd heard how loud these amps are so it all combined to finally push me into buying one.

Love the amp, especially into the 4x10 cab. You can get really big and complex cleans (I play Teles) and Marshally drive...all controlled with the volume knob on the guitar. I have a Komet K19 being built and it really makes me wonder if I should just offer the Komet while it's still boxed up! The little Ghia really has impressed me that much. :)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  3. Tele81

Tele81 Member

I had the Zlux and it’s a great amp but not quite what I was looking for. The EZG is Tube rectified and has the 6L6s so it has a Softer bouncier low end if that makes sense. I feel like the EZG has that quintessential old recorded fendery tone. Short of buying vintage fenders which can be a rabbit hole finding a healthy one plus repair etc. these are just killer. My buddy brought his 65 DDRi and 65 SRRi over the other day. Granted different build quality and price points but it was no contest. Made me kinda sad for the fenders, they sounded like **** when compared to a Z side by side. No contest..

underdog726 likes this.
  4. underdog726

underdog726 Member

I want one. Anyone wanna trade? Lol.

Tele81 likes this.
  5. Lux

Lux Supporting Member

Recently picked up a new Maz 38 MKii.
    Wow wow wow.... LOVE this amp! This amp fills all of my needs for what I do and then some.

Tele81, PerryR and rhinocaster like this.
  6. strumminsix

strumminsix Supporting Member

DR Z Maz 8 owner checking in. Love it! The amp that gets played the most by me.

Tele81 and rhinocaster like this.
  7. jthomps123

jthomps123 Supporting Member

Dont own any at the moment but in the past:

Ghia 2x10 combo
    Route 66
    Remedy V1
    Maz Sr Reverb

I liked them all but would probably only want the Remedy back, possibly the Ghia.

I wont to get another Vox'y flavored one in the future though.

8. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

Dr. Z KT-45 was my first boutique amp, got it about 12 years ago along with a Dr. Z 2x10 convertible cab. (Prior to that my main amp was a UK-made AC30 w/Greenbacks.). It's served me extremely well. It's voiced a little bright for me but I still have a great fondness for it.

Out of curiosity, what volumes are you playing at? I sometimes desired more volume from mine when I was playing alongside a loud drummer (plus no in-ears or drum shielding). Got a new guitar tech who did some work and it's now extremely loud and clean.

9. kc99

kc99 Member

Currently own: Maz 18Jr NR head and Stangray 1x12 Combo.
    Previously Owned: DB4 and Z-Luxe.

The Maz 18 is, without a doubt in my mind, my "desert island" amp. Run it thru a 1x12 cab loaded with the Docs Z-12 speaker. Something special about this amp. Wouldn't change a thing.

Tele81, LordByron and rhinocaster like this.
  10. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Wow... must be a super loud drummer if a KT45 isn't loud enough. Even with mine tamed down a bit with less efficient speakers (compared to the V30/G12H it came with) and the 5U4 rectifier its still really loud and darn clean. As I said, I often play a 10,000 seat auditorium un-mic'd.

11. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

I've been impressed by every Dr Z I've ever played or owned... but for various reasons, have never kept one very long

And now, even the used prices are going up... not so long ago, you used to be able to find a used M12, Carmen or Monza in $600-700 range - no more though

12. Tunesketcher

Tunesketcher Member

Owned a Z-28 in a 2x10 combo, it loved my pedals and sounded great with any guitar I put through it but could be a tad stiff. I really liked it but sold it to fund another boutique that suited me in terms of tone/versatility. Looking back, I sort of miss it and I'd like to get a Carmen Ghia for the studio.

bigben55 likes this.
  13. flantrax

flantrax Supporting Member

I recently picked up an EZG 50 Head...what speakers are you guys using/digging?

I have both a 1x12 & 2x12 cab I can use it with.

Thanks in advance.

Tele81 likes this.
  14. Tele81

Tele81 Member

I’m using a 1x12 cab with a celestion red back. Big sound they stays clean. I plan to pick up either an Alnico cream or a creamback 65 which is what I’ve seen they come stock with. Try cranking the mids up to 3:00 or full on. Doesn’t get honky just fuller/warmer. Love this amp.

flantrax likes this.
  15. flantrax

Nice, I forgot about the new Redback...I'm sure that sounds killer. I have an old EVM12L I'm going to try.

Thanks

16. bigben55

bigben55 Member

The 2x10 could be a tad stiff, stiffer than my 1x12, but that could be as much speaker and tube differences than anything. I had a 2x10 that I sold but should have bought a Brake Lite for. My current 1x12 has it, and I love it. It's a myst have with the Z28.

Tunesketcher likes this.
  17. Smashies

Smashies Silver Supporting Member

Got a Rx Jr head incoming along with an old Stang Ray open-back 2x12 coming. Cab has a gold and G12H30.

Hold yer groinz!

s360guitarist, Tele81 and rhinocaster like this.
  18. Tele81

Tele81 Member

Did you ever own a mk1? What big differences have you noticed in the tone?

19. Tele81

Tele81 Member

I’m also considering a scumback. I’ve read a ton of good things about their speakers as well.

flantrax likes this.
  20. flantrax

Those are great as well