Let’s talk about Dr Zs!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tele81, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Lux

Lux Supporting Member

I played them both before buying. The biggest thing I noticed was the master volume on the MKii works much better. It sounds good no matter where you set it. The MKi seemed to have a certain sweet spot it needed to be dialed to. And i really liked the addition of the half power switch. I won’t say I noticed a huge overall difference in the tone but to my ears the mkii was a definite improvement.

Tele81 likes this.
  2. Zooey

Zooey Member

Loud two guitar band with loud drummer. It was audible and sounded good, but was never very clean at those volumes. I judged it to have less headroom than a Bassman, at least when set to where I thought the tone controls sounded their best. The KT45 was discontinued and reintroduced (and discontinued again). Mine was one of the oldest ones.

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  3. Jaguarguy

Jaguarguy Supporting Member

Three choices come to mind - The EMS, the SRZ 65, or the Antidote. All three have that great Marshall tone.

4. Jaguarguy

Here's a partial pic of my Zs - yes, I'm a Z fanatic. My favorites??? Antidote, original RX, .....

[​IMG]

My silver Z stack

[​IMG]

kafka, fabulusfab777, Fortis and 14 others like this.
  5. Tele81

Tele81 Member

Wow. I’d never leave that room..

MattH and Doug59 like this.
  6. Smashies

Smashies Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

7. griff3

griff3 Member

A few years ago I played a Maz 38 and it's a tone that continues to haunt me... I will have one at some point.

A couple of years ago I bought a Therapy and it took a really long time for me to bond with it, but just recently I've found my tone in it and I can't wait until some gigs I've got coming up.

As a former Super Reverb player the EZG is also on my radar, I tried one briefly and dug it, but didn't have enough time to really play it.

Tele81 likes this.
  8. Crikey

Crikey Member

Check out the Mini-Z! It's available as a very small head or a great 1x10 combo. It does a pretty convincing plexi style snarl, very touch sensitive. Of course nothing with one 12ZX7, one EL84, and no 4x12s *really* nails a plexi, but the Mini-Z has lots of that attitude.

rhinocaster likes this.
  9. PerryR

PerryR Supporting Member

aaronblues, MattH, Tele81 and 4 others like this.
  10. Alpione

Alpione Supporting Member

Well now I'm extra excited about the prospect of my Maz 18's MkII upgrade. I got a note from the crew yesterday saying that the amp had safely arrived at Z Headquarters.

Soon after, there was a note on their Facebook page saying that they weren't going to take anymore MkII updates for a while as they need to clear out a backlog. That may mean it may take mine a while to get back, but I also got in just under the wire.

Looking forward to the changes.

rhinocaster, aaronblues and MattH like this.
  11. jens5

jens5 Silver Supporting Member

:omg

12. Irreversal

Irreversal Member

Let's get back to the important stuff, like when is the X-Ray coming out?!?! ;)

Fortis and travis_38 like this.
  13. c_mac

c_mac Member

I recognize that second Stang Ray! Great amp but coming from a Ghia, I could never get it to sound “right”. Again, it sounded great and I kept telling myself it was an awesome amp but in the end I just never adjusted to it for some reason. It is a very distinct sounding amplifier.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  14. Teleplayer

Teleplayer New Mods On The Block Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Ha!!!

They are, indeed, highly unique. Great, great amps. I wish I'd kept one of them. I'll snag another one some day.

15. trojanhov

trojanhov Member

The Z-28 stack in all its glory. 10 inch gold in the comob, WGS ET-65 in the extension cab. The board has gone through many changes since this pic!

rawkguitarist, PerryR and aaronblues like this.
  16. Alpione

Alpione Supporting Member

What do you think about the Brake Lite SA? I've got one and don't really use it. To me, by the time it attenuates enough to make a difference you're at Level 3 or 4 and tone starts getting pretty congested. But I've seen some people love it.

This is the biggest reason I'm doing the Mk2 update on my Maz. The new Master Volume.

17. Jaguarguy

Hey Griff!

I watch your You-tube videos all the time - great stuff! The EZG is about as close as you'll get to the Super Reverb. As Doc said, "it's the Super Reverb head that Fender never made". I have an early EZG and a 1966 Super Reverb - hard to tell them apart until it comes to reliability.

If you ever get to the Detroit area, you're welcome to stop in and try some out - I've got more variety than most dealers.

PerryR likes this.
  18. underdog726

underdog726 Member

Dang, i was in Detroit (close) last weekend.. I would like to try a EZG to compare to my Z-LUX. I was up at a Albert Cummings show. He used a Vibroking, and it sounded awesome, but i gravitate towards blackface super reverb tones.

Tele81 likes this.
  19. Tele81

Tele81 Member

I had the Zlux as well. To my ear the EZG is the basically a really good super reverb with a better reverb tank. It’s got that Magical Z fairy dust sprinkled on it so the amp is big 3D and present sounding. It sounds like old records if that makes sense =). The Z lux is cool but I prefer tube rectified amps and the shorter more subtle verb was a no go for me. I’m a reverb junkie I bathe in it lol.

jens5 and underdog726 like this.
  20. bigben55

bigben55 Member

I got a Brake Lite and use it all the time. IF, you're hoping for bedroom tone or even close to it, yes I agree with you. 3 starts changing the tone, 4 clicks REALLY does. But 4, on my Z28, is ungiggable with even the lightest handed drummers. I leave mine on 2 clicks pretty much always. The 5dB difference between off and 2 matters a lot live. Bigger place, 0 or 1. Smaller place, 3. I NEVER use 4.