Let’s talk about Dr Zs!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tele81, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Fortis

Fortis Member

Love the amps...and the company (including the people) behind them.

I have a couple.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was the most recent and a massive sounding amp...

[​IMG]

2. Fortis

Fortis Member

I have a silver stack too !

[​IMG]

3. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Holy cow man! Amazing Z-Collection. I think I saw what the Z80 was, but I don’t remember exactly. What are the major specs? Assuming it’s the same preamp as the Z28, Rt66 et al?

rhinocaster likes this.
  4. Fortis

Fortis Member

The Z-80 is not related to the Z-28/Route 66 family. The Z-80 is basically a recreation of the Vox AC100 mkI but incorporates all of the tweaks along the way to make the amp stable and reliable. It's built as part of a low-quantity 'Master Build' series by Doc personally. Mine is the first (well, excluding the prototype used by Brad Paisely) and I think there may be 5 or so out in the wild as of today. It is 4 x EL34 but the tubes are cathode biased (not fixed). Therefore, the amp prodcues approx. 80 watts (clean). The later version of the AC 100 (the mkII) changed to fixed bias to compensate for some heating and other issues, and that one ran at 100 watts. The Z-80 is basically like an 80 watt AC30. It still has a chime to it but also has a robust bottom end and a roundeness to the sound. It can fill a small room pretty quickly. I have it in my basement and I found some natural resonances of the room I didn't feel/hear before when I play it....on low volume.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    rawkguitarist likes this.
  5. griff3

griff3 Member

That's good to know, I've got a son at school in Ann Arbor and it looks like I may be the one heading out there to make the road trip home for the summer... I'll keep you posted :)

6. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Fantastic!!

So, cabs facing the wall....cats?

Fortis likes this.
  7. MrMilkman

MrMilkman Member

Had been looking for a blonde Carmen Ghia combo with a 10” Red Fang for a loooong time till one popped up on Reverb. Even has a factory installed Brake Lite. Sounds good with every guitar I own and is my go-to for everything.

[​IMG]

8. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

Giving serious thought to a Cure.

s360guitarist likes this.
  9. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Member

a friend of mine has a Remedy. It started making some weird noises so he took it apart to check it out (he's an electronics tech for a living) and was shocked at the garbage / junk components.

10. fabulusfab777

fabulusfab777 Member

I've posted this on the Dr. Z forum, but I just got a Carmen Ghia head (from 2005). It's my 4th Z. In order, I had: a Maz GT, a Maz jr. and a Therapy.

Here is a pic of the Ghia with the current rig:

[​IMG]

aaronblues, Smashies and rhinocaster like this.
  11. Jaguarguy

Jaguarguy Supporting Member

None of my Zs have garbage/junk components - I happen to have 2 Remedies - neither is junk. Not sure I'd want your friend looking at my amps!

12. Irreversal

Irreversal Member

This is going to end well...

13. Jaguarguy

Jaguarguy Supporting Member

According to Guitar Player Magazine, which gave the Remedy it's Editor's Pick Award when it came out in 2010:

"KUDOS Wonderfully inspirational Brit/plexi tones. Superb construction and feature set.

CONCERNS None."

Which magazine can I find your friend's review in?????

Here's a pic of the internals of the Remedy - which are the garbage/junk components?

[​IMG]

14. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Member

by "junk" I meant Illinois Capacitors and cheap resistors. For those prices I expect at least Mallory or Sprague.

15. DR.Z

DR.Z Gold Supporting Member

Enough interceptor, Mallory hasn't made Filter caps for over 20 years.
    There are Spraque and F&T caps , Carbon film resistors , and custom built Orange Drops in the Remedy.
    IC is the only currant manufacture that sells a 47uF 500V filter caps. that my design calls for.
    So it was you that stated it has garbage/junk parts , not your pretend friend.
    Take your agenda some where else.

trojanhov, SciFlyer, 84Bravo and 15 others like this.
  16. Smashies

Smashies Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

17. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

:rotflmao:roll

Man what a troll. You're talking about easily one of the most respected amp makers in the market... jabs like this usually come from someone with barely enough knowledge to be dangerous with a soldering iron.

18. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

To get back on track...because of this thread’s evil influence I just traded for a Ghia...one of my all time favorites!

19. communarchy

communarchy Supporting Member

... on top of going out of the way to make a blanket insult to many fine US based companies we source from like Heyboer in Michigan, Triad in California, and S&B Metals in OH. For full transparency, here is a full shop tour where you can see us building each amp by hand, one at a time, like it's been done for 30 years.

jens5, rhinocaster, Smashies and 2 others like this.
  20. Big Al Z

Big Al Z Member

The snow of Cleveland Ohio and sun of Daytona Bch
    Here's my mini stack ! Obviously never ran them like this but it looked cool. I sold the Remedy and Maz just cuz I wasn't using them. I have a Gold in the 10" cab and if needed run a Z-12 in a closed back cab which really is a good match with the Z-28. I'll be selling a few more other non-Z amps soon as the Z-28 covers anything I need . . . although that Nova . . . . .