Let’s talk about Dr Zs!

rawkguitarist

Love the amps...and the company (including the people) behind them.

I have a couple.

This was the most recent and a massive sounding amp...

Holy cow man! Amazing Z-Collection. I think I saw what the Z80 was, but I don’t remember exactly. What are the major specs? Assuming it’s the same preamp as the Z28, Rt66 et al?

Fortis

Holy cow man! Amazing Z-Collection. I think I saw what the Z80 was, but I don’t remember exactly. What are the major specs? Assuming it’s the same preamp as the Z28, Rt66 et al?
The Z-80 is not related to the Z-28/Route 66 family. The Z-80 is basically a recreation of the Vox AC100 mkI but incorporates all of the tweaks along the way to make the amp stable and reliable. It's built as part of a low-quantity 'Master Build' series by Doc personally. Mine is the first (well, excluding the prototype used by Brad Paisely) and I think there may be 5 or so out in the wild as of today. It is 4 x EL34 but the tubes are cathode biased (not fixed). Therefore, the amp prodcues approx. 80 watts (clean). The later version of the AC 100 (the mkII) changed to fixed bias to compensate for some heating and other issues, and that one ran at 100 watts. The Z-80 is basically like an 80 watt AC30. It still has a chime to it but also has a robust bottom end and a roundeness to the sound. It can fill a small room pretty quickly. I have it in my basement and I found some natural resonances of the room I didn't feel/hear before when I play it....on low volume.

Last edited:

griff3

Hey Griff!

I watch your You-tube videos all the time - great stuff! The EZG is about as close as you'll get to the Super Reverb. As Doc said, "it's the Super Reverb head that Fender never made". I have an early EZG and a 1966 Super Reverb - hard to tell them apart until it comes to reliability.

If you ever get to the Detroit area, you're welcome to stop in and try some out - I've got more variety than most dealers.
That's good to know, I've got a son at school in Ann Arbor and it looks like I may be the one heading out there to make the road trip home for the summer... I'll keep you posted :)

a friend of mine has a Remedy. It started making some weird noises so he took it apart to check it out (he's an electronics tech for a living) and was shocked at the garbage / junk components.

Jaguarguy

Silver Supporting Member
a friend of mine has a Remedy. It started making some weird noises so he took it apart to check it out (he's an electronics tech for a living) and was shocked at the garbage / junk components.
None of my Zs have garbage/junk components - I happen to have 2 Remedies - neither is junk. Not sure I'd want your friend looking at my amps!

Jaguarguy

Silver Supporting Member
According to Guitar Player Magazine, which gave the Remedy it's Editor's Pick Award when it came out in 2010:

"KUDOS Wonderfully inspirational Brit/plexi tones. Superb construction and feature set.

CONCERNS None."

Which magazine can I find your friend's review in?????

Here's a pic of the internals of the Remedy - which are the garbage/junk components?

DR.Z

Gold Supporting Member
by "junk" I meant Illinois Capacitors and cheap resistors. For those prices I expect at least Mallory or Sprague.
Enough interceptor, Mallory hasn't made Filter caps for over 20 years.
There are Spraque and F&T caps , Carbon film resistors , and custom built Orange Drops in the Remedy.
IC is the only currant manufacture that sells a 47uF 500V filter caps. that my design calls for.
So it was you that stated it has garbage/junk parts , not your pretend friend.
Take your agenda some where else.

Smashies

Gold Supporting Member
Enough interceptor, Mallory hasn't made Filter caps for over 20 years.
There are Spraque and F&T caps , Carbon film resistors , and custom built Orange Drops in the Remedy.
IC is the only currant manufacture that sells a 47uF 500V filter caps. that my design calls for.
So it was you that stated it has garbage/junk parts , not your pretend friend.
Take your agenda some where else.

rawkguitarist

:rotflmao:roll

Man what a troll. You're talking about easily one of the most respected amp makers in the market... jabs like this usually come from someone with barely enough knowledge to be dangerous with a soldering iron.

communarchy

Supporting Member
:rotflmao:roll

Man what a troll. You're talking about easily one of the most respected amp makers in the market... jabs like this usually come from someone with barely enough knowledge to be dangerous with a soldering iron.
... on top of going out of the way to make a blanket insult to many fine US based companies we source from like Heyboer in Michigan, Triad in California, and S&B Metals in OH. For full transparency, here is a full shop tour where you can see us building each amp by hand, one at a time, like it's been done for 30 years.

Big Al Z

Here's my mini stack ! Obviously never ran them like this but it looked cool. I sold the Remedy and Maz just cuz I wasn't using them. I have a Gold in the 10" cab and if needed run a Z-12 in a closed back cab which really is a good match with the Z-28. I'll be selling a few more other non-Z amps soon as the Z-28 covers anything I need . . . although that Nova . . . . .

Trending Topics