Let’s talk about Dr Zs!

Smashies

Gold Supporting Member
So from my ear, the Prescription Jr (just came in) has appreciably more headroom than the Ghia. Headroom is comparable to what I remember my Maz 18 Jr NR having, but I don't have the Maz anymore to do a hot-swap, true A/B comparison. My comparison here, between the Remedy and Ghia, is through the same 12" Gold (well-worn) in the Ghia combo cab. Ghia's got more attitude. Doesn't mean it's Marshall-esque necessarily.

More tweaking to go.

fabulusfab777

Supporting Member
What speaker is in that cab? Vintage or Dream series 3P?
That cab came in with a Vintage 30. Was not my favorite speaker to start with, but in that cab and really well broken in, it is trully great. Not sure what 3P series it is, but I think vintage.

Great thread!

I’ve owned a Monza, Remedy, DB4 & Ray. Still have the DB4 and Ray. Very much miss the Monza and the Remedy. I’ve heard rumblings that the Nova may fix that issue for me. I hope I can find out soon! Also eyeing a Z Lux or Plus. Or Maz 8. Or a Cure! Dang it, Doc!

I only have one non Z amp and that’s an Orange RV 50. If Doc ever makes an amp with 4 gain stages, that could also change. ;)

Last edited:

Smacky the Frog

Gold Supporting Member
Would you recommend the brake lite? I’m thinking of getting one to try to keep my practicing at home at a somewhat sane volume.
Get ready to adjust the treble if you go more than two clicks. The Brake Light has a tendency to suck tone around the third click, so if you want bedroom tones out of it you'll need to adjust the eq and cut.

The Power Station was excellent for it but it's almost three times as expensive.

fabulusfab777

Supporting Member
@Jaguarguy

Out of pure curiosity, how does the 12BH7 Ghia sounds, compares to a ''normal'' one or to your V2 ? I was reading on that tube and seems it is closer in specs to a 12AU7, so meaning lower gain, I guess...

kingink

Gold Supporting Member
I'm really interested in the Stangray and the MAZ 38. Are there any other Z amps that have some Voxy character? The Stangray is almost too voxy for my taste, super lean until you turn it quite a ways up. Anybody able to direct me to some clips where these amps are used with pedals?
The Maz 38 does get Voxy tones. It also gets tweed, Marshall, and Blackface tones, though these are sort of a variation on the Maz's theme. Unless you're using vintage output single coils, the distorted sounds can get very thick and woolly (with humbuckers or P90s), which is good for leads or Neil Young-style rhythm.

But I find that Telecasters and Strats sound great through the Maz 38. The amp puts out all the punch, bounce, and snap of vintage output single coils.

With hotter pickups, the punch lessens.

kingink

Gold Supporting Member
Maz Jr. (old, with reverb)
Maz Sr. (old)
KT-45 (old)

I got the Sr. because I needed more headroom, but otherwise loved the Jr. To my disappointment, the 38 is not just a louder version of the 18. Or at least it didn't sound that way to me.

The KT-45 was super cool, but I had a hard time getting it to stay clean at the volume I needed at the time, even after retube/rebias. Which would have been great in a different situation, but didn't work for me at the time.

I still have the Maz Jr., which I love despite its faults.
I agree about the 38 not being a louder version of the 18. When I tried to use the PDF that showed all the 18 settings from the Z Forum, I couldn't really get any sounds that I liked. I had to dial in my 38 on my own.

I've had my 38 since 2004, but I'm lately I've been a little disappointed when using it with P90s, especially after I bought a JTM45 clone.

The 38 sounds sort of "boxy" or "nasally" to me with the P90s and lacks the punch of the JTM45. The 38 has an excess of mids in the 500-1k zone, or so it seems to me.

SciFlyer

Supporting Member
Had a Z28 head listed on Reverb for over a month. Lots of watchers, but no offers. Definitely not selling after reading this thread!

Trending Topics