Let’s talk about Dr Zs!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tele81, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Fortis

Fortis Member

Lol...no, but I do have a dog but she never really bothers. I just figure that if something happens to bang into the cab it would be best done to the back ! If I had cats they'd all be covered !

rhinocaster likes this.
  2. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Keeping the thread rolling with the new to me SRZ-65. What a killer amp!

[​IMG]

3. screamtone

screamtone Supporting Member

It seems to work pretty well, but I don't normally use attenuators so I might not be the best judge. The master volume on the Z-Lux works so well that I probably could live without the Brake Lite. I was using IEM's on the last few gigs and had the amp turned down super low, and I didn't feel like I was missing anything.

4. rhinocaster

5. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

How was the SRZ? That’s one Z I’m itching to try...

rhinocaster likes this.
  6. rhinocaster

EPIC!!

The SRZ has so much to offer when it comes to Marshall tones. Roll the volume and tone back on the guitar and you can get into JTM45 territory. Bring the volume up and there's that chewy and raw Plexi type grind. Really complex and musical. Then you can wind it up to thick modded JCM800 gain but without the fizzy nature that I hear in lots of JCM800 demos. Really, this amp put a smile on my face like my buddy's SLO did....different beasts but they really cover everything I'd want to hear from a Marshall. VERY cool amp!

redgold likes this.
  7. rhinocaster

And the stack grows taller!

[​IMG]

8. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

I bought a Galaxie 2x10 when they first came out. Great sounding amp but at 40 watts it was just way too loud for me even with the Brakelite. And heavy!

9. donnyrocker

donnyrocker Member

This is true.

Norrin Radd 1966 likes this.
  10. Teleplayer

Teleplayer New Mods On The Block Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

*Note to self...........it's probably not a good idea to make uneducated and/or ignorant comments about a world class amp company's products and build quality, when the founder/owner of that same amp company is known to post in threads about his products.

:)

jens5, Flatscan, PerryR and 4 others like this.
  11. Snake_charmer

Snake_charmer Member

I only have a couple Z’s but they stack up nicely.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    DeadLazy, PerryR, aaronblues and 2 others like this.
  12. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

I am Z-less right now but have owned:
    Maz 18 1X12 w/reverb
    Remedy (sent back to Dr. Z for the mod)
    Therapy

rhinocaster likes this.
  13. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

14. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Member

Apologies if I offended Dr Z or the lovers/owners/fans thereof, I just shared my personal experience. A one time, one amp, one owner, local experience.

I played the particular amp in question last night for about an hour. I took a harder look at it, it was the "Remedy" model. The owner said he bought it thinking it would be like a "Souped up Deluxe" because it had 4 x 6V6 tubes. It was plugged into a late 60s slant Marshall cab.

He said the reason he opened it up, was not long after he bought it, it went POP and shut off. Now, a normal person would've sent it back to Dr Z for repair (he bought it new, but not direct from Z) but being a 30+ year electronics tech and guitar player, he opened it up to see what went bang... it was then he found the blown out illinois capacitor.

For the record I have no agenda, in my entire lifetime of guitar interest I've never thought about, cared about, or played anything Dr Z. Had he not brought it up in conversation I would've never given the brand a 2nd thought. There are lots of brands of gear I have no interest in or intimate knowledge of. I think we all share that mentality. I have no axe to grind, and no dog in the fight because I don't make, promote or review gear. I have absolutely NOTHING to gain or lose by voicing my opinion and experience on this or any other piece of gear.

15. rhinocaster

You have some really great tonal options with that pair!

16. Snake_charmer

Snake_charmer Member

Thanks, every once in a blue moon I’ll run it in stereo with the Db4 going to a 1x12” Gold and the Z28 going into a 2x10 with a Dr.Z 10” speaker and 10” Gold. Love them Golds lol.

aaronblues and rhinocaster like this.
  17. DeadLazy

DeadLazy Member

I’ve only ever owned, but still own, a Maz18 Mk 1 ( but it was sent back to Doc Z and had a lot of updates )and still new (had it about a month now) a ZLux. The ZLux I picked up new from Sweetwater.

I found that Maz used and it was in such awesome condition and it’s still my favorite all time amp. The ZLux is my second favorite I’d say, it’s still so new, though.

They’re my jam. I’ve started to do my own music and over the last year I really went looking for “my amp”.

I went through a lot of amps this last year and a half and before that when I was playing for other people in various genre.

I lost a Friedman PT-20 in the trade up for the Maz and I don’t regret it for a second but I would like to replace it one day.

That said, I’m settled on those two as my main amps. They even sit apart from my other amps in their own space, unintentionally. Before I go to replace the PT I’ll probably shop up other Dr Z options.

I get really different tones from the two, yet both the Maz18 and the ZLux suit what I do. I almost got a Maz38 Mk II for when I need more watts but I haven’t regretted getting a ZLux instead. I now have it in my head that I want to run them both as main amps.

I love the sound. That they look great is a bonus.

I’m anxiously awaiting a Lovepedal ZenDrive I ordered for my Z’s (perfect). It’ll be here Tuesday.

Both drop heads*

I use either a Mesa Boogie AR 4x10 or a Peavey 1x12 with a greenback I leave the Peavey open backed.

I’ve loved amps before but nothing like how I fell for my Z’s. I found my amp.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  18. $tratcat

$tratcat Member

There are my Z's. The one on top is an RB-15, serial #001 - the first amp Mike made. The "RB" are my initials. It's basically a Carmen Ghia with a Master Volume and pull bright switch on the gain. He modeled the 25th Anniversary Ghia after this amp.

The one below it is an SRZ-65, serial #0011. Killer amp, loud as hell! Use it mostly when I play outside festivals when I can open it up. I bought a Z-Best 2x12 cab when I got this amp. I usually play this amp through my Mesa 4x10 open-back cab.
    [​IMG]

6strang, Tele81, aaronblues and 4 others like this.
  19. Alpione

Alpione Supporting Member

Just got word that my Maz 18 will be shipped back to me this week after the Mk 2 update. Looking forward to checking it out.

aaronblues, Flatscan and DeadLazy like this.
  20. Alpione

Alpione Supporting Member

Incoming!

Upgraded Maz 18 Jr. Mark II coming in today. It took a good while but about how long they said (5-6 weeks). I've got rehearsal tonight but it's for an acoustic gig, and not sure I'll have the thing rebuilt before it's time to leave anyway. I've got to install the new reverb tank on the side of the cab, etc.

Relatively big stakes for me. I kind of bought this '99 Maz on a whim and it was "ok". Decided to go all-in with the Mk 2 update, so I've invested even more in it. Hope it' good! :) I shall report back.