Lets talk about Dynasonic Pickups for a sec

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Npop32, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Npop32

Npop32 Member

Where did these originate?

I have a feeling they came from the old DeArmond guitars and came from the era of the Gold foils, and I see that these pickups are becoming more and more popular among guitar players. I love the ones that are currently loaded into my Gretsch, and I'm currently workin on a custom style thats going to have them as well but this "custom" will not be fully hollow it will be a semi hollow and a bolt on vs a fully hollow and a set neck.

Whats your opinion of them?

2. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Interested in this as well, but you may be better served on the Guitars page...

3. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

Yeah, "Dynasonic" is what Gretsch called the DeArmond pickups they put in their guitars. I think at some point they stopped spec'ing DeArmonds and started making their own version of 'em.

I like 'em. Chet Atkins, apparently, didn't.

4. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

"Old" DeArmond guitars?

5. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

No, this predates DeArmond guitars. The DeArmond brand was purchased by Fender a number of years ago. Since then they've applied the DeArmond name to non-original DeArmond products.

This website may help:

http://www.musicpickups.com/Home.html

6. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

I agree with Chet. I like the look of the Dynasonics, but not the sound.

7. rockinrobby

rockinrobby Senior member Professional musician ... Gold Supporting Member

I have a set of original DeArmond's from the 50's and they sound Fantastic!!!! They sound kinda like a P90 but a bit different.. They really twang and sound incredible in a 6120 gretsch.. The Filtertrons sound great too but less bite! I think the real reason Chet didn't like the DeArnond's was that there single coil's and they can be a bit noisy in some places with funky electricity like back when Chet was gigging a lot back in the 50's and early 60's. Hell, even now!! I really love the sound DeArnond's makes me think of Duane Eddy > "Ghost Riders" Filtertrons are a humbucking pickup so no buzzing… I have both and I like the DeArmond sound best…

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    chankgeez likes this.
  8. dhdfoster

I also have some original DeArminds in an old Guild Starfire and they are amazing pickups. I've had a couple newer Gretsches with the current reissues and they really don't sound the same. They sound good, but they are pretty thin.

9. flantrax

flantrax Supporting Member

I replaced the stock Dyna's in my Gretsch 6120 Duane Eddy with TV Jones T-Armonds...freakin love them in that guitar...I was thinking of have a Tele built with them...I'm curious as well to how they sound in non hollow body guitars

10. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

That's probably true.

I also think they weren't high fidelity enough for him and didn't allow as much bass through as he desired. They can be sort of mid-rangey.

11. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

I love them. I think they have just the right balance of output and chime. They're fairly low power so they're great with fuzz and clean up in the best ways. They're less dirty and crunchy and not as mid focused as P-90s. Lower output and not as jangly as Filtertrons. The one drawback is the single cool him; I use the middle position almost exclusively. The Fender Custom Shop uses Duncan Dynasonics in their Steven Stern models. Favorite pickups made.

12. dhdfoster

Dynas can have huge bass and they are also quite clear. It's my understanding that Chet's issue was lack of sustain. The big magnetic poles pull on the strings quote a bit in comparison to Filtertons.

Crazyquilt and chankgeez like this.
  13. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

They're also really fidgety about what strings you use. On my Duo Jet, I have to use the dullest pure nickel strings I can find so it doesn't sound harsh. With my White Falcon, it's the opposite - nickel would Cleartones. It took me the longest time to figure out which strings worked for each guitar.

14. rockinrobby

Duncan Dynasonics and the TV jones T-Armonds are the best you can buy if you don't have a set of the originals.. I bet they would kill in a tele through a vintage Tweed Deluxe amp w/ some slap back!!!

15. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

Yes, you are correct. That's what it was. My memory fails me.

16. rockinrobby

well I have both 6120's, one w/ DeArmonds and one with Filtertrons and the DeArmonds to my ear have more twang almost like a Tele with great fulness I don't notice a lack of sustain at all. The Filtertrons sound smoother with a crisp top end two totally different characteristics both amazingly good but very different.. I can see why Chet liked the Filtertrons better as they don't get any 60 cycle hum also it's a smoother tone better for Chet style of picking however, the DeArmonds cut way better and would fit the bill just as good IMHO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

flantrax likes this.
  17. rockinrobby

Duncan Dynasonics and the TV jones T-Armonds are the best you can buy if you don't have a set of the originals.. I bet they would kill in a tele through a vintage Tweed Deluxe amp w/ some slap back!!!

flantrax likes this.
  18. feet

feet Supporting Member

if it helps, the gibson staple p90s are basically a 100% tonal clone. that's why they exist. read that in a magazine somewhere.

19. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

My experience with Dynas is in Duo Jets, so semihollow instruments. Stock Dynas are fairly low output and thin compared to TV Jones, Duncan, and originals. The latter 3 are higher output -- sometimes much higher -- and sound & play like something between a P90 and a Tele. They do have a much more pronounced high end than a P90, as well as a heavier bass (at least for the neck pickup.) I liked the neck pickup, liked the combination tone, and didn't much like the bridge. Too harsh. Cool pickups, but it turns out I'm a Filter guy: less abrasive top end and no hum.

20. rockinrobby

Good description brother.. Yeah, the bass is much more pronounced w/ the DeArmonds so I flipped my neck pickup 180 and the slugs are facing downward witch make for a smooth bottom on the neck pickup. I my self love the brought twang of the bridge pickup as I love Telecasters and with the 6120 it softens the edge, great for country and rock!! But i do like the Filters too, Im just a bit more in the DeArmond camp on my end.