Let's talk about Fuchs amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JimmyD64, Sep 4, 2005.

1. JimmyD64

JimmyD64 Guest

Okay, so after looking and looking and looking and looking I finally camer to fuchs. This seems like the only amp head out there that could do the closest thing to my style the best.
    My style is mainly Scott Hendersonish stuff, his older fusion stuff, and Robben Ford kind of stuff.
    I use a Suhr alder classic and have a 2 12" cabinet.
    So here's my questions:
    1. I can't decide between the ODS 100 and ODS 50. I reeally would love the head room of the ODS 100, but does it sound great and just as good or better as the OD 50 at lower volumes. Let's say usually using probably about 30 watts.

2. Most of the clips that I have heard have a VERY distinct sound coming from the amp. Most of the clips are Scott Lerners that I have heard. Is this amp versatile enough to cover different kind of sounds very well? Don't get me wrong, the sounds that I heard were great, but for me I would probably want to go for another sort of sound most of the time.

3. How close do you think I could get to Scott Henderson's tone form Tribal tech?

4. The clean channel sounds extreeemely smooooth. Can I get it to get a little raunchy and bitty, but still have that nice spongy tone somewhere in there. I think you guys know what I mean.

5. And can I get the clean channel to get a little more FAT sounding? The clips I have heard of the clean stuff is a little too thin for my taste, maybe it was for their personal preference. Can i get a chunky full sound out of it?

6. And how much will I be looking to have to spend on these bad boys? Whats the best possible price you think I could probably find and where?

Anything else you feel like adding would be great as well.

Thanks so much!!!
    Jimmy

2. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

Jimmy,
    I'm not an expert on Fuchs amps but I do play a Fuchs SLX 50,tweaked for me by Scott Lerner.First,I'd definitely suggest e-mailing Scott and talking to him-he definitely knows his stuff and can tell you all about the ODS/SLX.Second,if you wanna hear a slightly different sound from what you've already heard out of a Fuchs,click on my signature-all the clips are made with my SLX 50 and I'm after the smooth Holdsworth,early Henderson tone(not that I can play like them:rolleyes: ).

Vlad

3. scottl

scottl Member

Hi Jimmy,

Feel free to email me your number if you want to chat. Also, check out Vlad's clips. He is a great player!

Scott

4. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Before the CAE/Suhr amps, what was Scott Henderson using? Think I remember a Mesa (Rivera?) rig... Marshall (or is that a recent addition)? Which era Tribal Tech you thinking? He doesn't play D-inspired amps to my knowledge (perhaps could if he wanted as he's friendly w/ Dumble). Then again, I'm no TT/SH expert...

5. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

Me neither. :) SH gear breakdown here, though, including a bunch of his gear history:

http://www.scotthenderson.net/gear.htm

I think I remember reading about a D-modded Bandmaster somewhere in his rig now, into a (Stark?) 4x10 cabinet if memory serves. But I dunno. As much as I like SH or so many other great players, I'm usually not interested at all in the details of their gear.

On the Fuchs subject per se:

I bought one recently, and it is a great amp. I'm not so sure it's easy to do the Holdsworth legato thing with it, though, but I can't say that for sure until I've gone through all the dial in options and maybe even looked at my legato technique.

All that'll have to wait until I get the amp back from the SLX Shop. :)

It's entirely possible that the difficulties I had doing legato with it is related to the relatively high amount of sag in the specific Fuchs I was playing. But again, too early to say for sure.

Everything else sounded so great, though, I'm actually willing to do without a lot of legato to get the plusses the amp offers.

6. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

Scott, You went to Emory University. wow Always wanted to visit the Carter Library. Two years ago I was at a Christina Aguilera concert in Atlanta and almost went to visit but had to get to Tampa for the next two shows. I'm looking for another amp to go with JCM800. Fuchs supreme overdrive 50, Custome Audio are two I'm looking at along with THD Flexi, Soldano Avenger etc. In Raleigh there is a shop called Indoor Storm (Eddie Berman) which carries all the high end stuff. I'm looking forward to trying out the Fuchs. I want to see if the rock setting can get me into high gain territory I like to visit a lot. I really like Alex Lifeson's tone aroung mooving picture tour. From what I've heard the Fuchs sounds awesome. Personally, I would go with the 50 watts and 2x12. With the Custom Audio now making a 50 watt amp I'm not sure wich model I'd get there. The 50 cost just a tad less than the 100. Kenny Wayne, Joe Bonamassa and BB King are playing in VA Sept 25. I might go so I can hear the fuchs when Kenny Wayne plays. There are some pretty good sound clips of the Fuchs on their site.

7. JimmyD64

JimmyD64 Guest

Scott, I don't have a phone at the moment...I'm in Texas, where Katrina was and just do the message board thing from my friends house.
    If you could answer my questions and explain a little that would be awsome!

8. JimmyD64

JimmyD64 Guest

Anyone else who wants to jump in and answer these questions as well is more than welcome :D

9. Bix

Bix Member

Jimmy

There are lots of Fuchs clips in the member sound clips section. Some are Scott's but there are others as well. It's a pretty diverse amp and a lot of different tones can be had. Check out Deaj or Tomo's for another take on the sound.

By the way, I am now a former owner of a Fuchs, but I still say Andy Fuchs is one of the best guys to work with when making an investment like this.

Bix

10. Deaj

Deaj Member

I like to mess around with fusion styles but I don't really have the chops for it. I'm more of a blues & roots rock kind of player. After hearing Scottl's clips with the Fuchs I was very interested in trying one out as the tones he was recording were definitely the fusion sounds I like to hear. When I finally had an opportunity to play a Fuchs ODS I found it to be much more than what I had thought it would be. It does the smooth fusion tones wonderfully - better than I'd expected. But it also makes for a great blues amp! ...and a great rock amp too! It doesn't do metal tones (though I suspect it would cover them with the right pedal) but it covers just about everything else. My ODS 50 SLX combo is now my only electric guitar amp. The Fuchs also sounds great all the way down to family-approved-late-nite volumes which is a major benefit for me since I spend most of my playing/recording time at home (and very often leate at night).

In case it's not obvious by now I really like my Fuchs ODS!! :D

Here are a few clips I've recorded with my ODS 50 - they're mostly blues so they don't cover the SH territory you're looking for but they do offer another flavor from the amp.

Low volume recording 1
    Low volume recording 2
    Low volume recording 3
    Medium volume recording

11. JimmyD64

JimmyD64 Guest

Thanks for that Deaj...I enjoyed that very much.
    It seems like most of the clips I've heard have a very very distinct sound.
    What I'm wondering is can I get a different kind of sound than what I've heard, which is Scott Lerners clips, your clips, the clips off the fuchs site, and a few others.
    It seems like the clean channel is almost a little thin...would something like an RC Booster fatten it up much?
    And for more versatility and headroom even at lower volumes, which I said before, would the ODS 100 be better than the 50?

12. Bix

Bix Member

13. JimmyD64

JimmyD64 Guest

Maybe not thin man, but not much punch in there. I need the punch! :cool:

14. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Look at THD or VHT perhaps - very fast, articulate, big range of tones...

15. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

When I hear "punch" with "cleans", I think a cranked tweed with the guitar volume turned down.

16. trisonic

trisonic Member

Don't want to disrupt this thread but if you want a punchy clean check out the Sommatone Roaring 40 www.sommatone.com

I told Jimmy Somma that it has almost more "punch" than I can use..............much more so than the Roaring 20.

Btw don't totally judge any amp on clips - you've gotta try them yourself, heresy here, perhaps, but I won't buy an amp unless I've plugged in myself.

Best, Pete.

17. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I'd love to hear some Fuchs clips with a clean, on-the-edge of breakup thing goin' on...

Anybody got any...?

18. trisonic

trisonic Member

Dave, I've asked Deaj to do a (some) clips with some Strat "Quack". Hopefully they'll cover that territory too. He's trying to get them done this week.

Best, Pete.

19. JimmyD64

JimmyD64 Guest

Could I hear a clip with an RC Booster to see how fat of a sound I can get?
    And for more versatility and headroom would and ODS 100 be good or would the ODS 50 cover everything just as well.
    And waht are the differences in tone with the ODS 100 and ODS 50?