• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Let's talk about hazers (NOT fog machines!)

crambone

Do any of you guys use a hazer in your live rigs? Any sound guys have them available when running sound and/or lights for another band?

I don't have any experience using one in a gigging situation but we use one at church every Sunday. I did spend some time in a band who used a fog machine and it was really too much. He had a foot controller for it but it either put-out huge clouds or nothing at all, no in-between.

Devnor

I have the Chauvet hazer. Has remote with timer and DMX control. I just use the timer/manual feature operated from the stage. Water based hazer so not as great as the real deal but the haze still hangs a very long time.

sants

Silver Supporting Member
I use a hazer for productions. Much more professional than the huge puff of smoke let out by a fogger.

Chauvet. I have the Hurricane Haze 4 and it's great. Can do a very nice thin haze and the control is very fine. Great unit.

Stokely

One that's into mist-icism.
Ok, that was just great.

Our drummer used to bring all kinds of stuff, a giant rack of lights, hazers, lazers, etc etc. God I'm so glad we have simplified. We not only never got compliments on that stuff, but club owners and patrons complained about the mist and about the lazers (when he pointed them where they hit people).

B Money

Occasionally I'll get to thinking about how cool it would be to enhance our presentation; add a hazer, some strobes, pin spots, scanners, etc...then I remember that hauling, setting up, and tearing down all that stuff is extra expense and effort that no one cares about.
The guys in my band literally could not care less about lights or even how the band looks onstage.

sws1

Occasionally I'll get to thinking about how cool it would be to enhance our presentation; add a hazer, some strobes, pin spots, scanners, etc...then I remember that hauling, setting up, and tearing down all that stuff is extra expense and effort that no one cares about.
The guys in my band literally could not care less about lights or even how the band looks onstage.
You think about it when it comes time to wanting good photos or video.

Stokely

There's a sweet spot IMO, where it is depends on your area, type of music and type of gigs.

I think hauling 2 hours worth of gear setup with all that stuff and cabling to go with it, and having musicians dressed to the nines to play in a redneck bar is pretty silly...we used to do just that.
Then again, wearing white sneakers, jean shorts and your work shirt with no lights, banner etc is the other end of the spectrum.

We bring lights for each side and try not to look like slobs. Lights are important, people need to see the band. We had a couple banners made to hang behind us. We ended up snaking up the light cables with the PA cables that run to each side...really cuts down setup time and makes it much easier to store as well.

One rule of thumb I've heard is to dress "one level" above your audience. If they are in casual dressy, you go business...they are in tshirts/jeans, you wear dress shirt/jeans etc etc. For bar/club gigs, can't go wrong with decent dark jeans and a long-sleeve shirt IMO.

Hugh_s

Silver Supporting Member
I really need to get a haze machine. I’ve looked at the Chaucer hurricane 4?d and it looks like it would fit the bill. I could probably go a smaller one, I think, but dunno.

crambone

Pardon my ignorance, but what kind of show are you putting on at this church that requires a hazer??
3-4 songs every Sunday morning. It's for effects with the lighting system. We use Chauvet lights and as we are a portable church (we meet at a local high school) it all has to be set-up & torn-down each week.

crambone

Here's a pic from a service back in January so you can see how the hazer & lights interact. I am the guy with the white Gretsch:

Hugh_s

Silver Supporting Member
Here's a pic from a service back in January so you can see how the hazer & lights interact. I am the guy with the white Gretsch:

what's going on with those two screens? are you running a projector or something?

crambone

what's going on with those two screens? are you running a projector or something?
Lyrics for the songs we sing. My wife took this pic in-between songs as I was adjusting some settings on my guitar/Helix, hence why no words are on them in this pic.

Hugh_s

Silver Supporting Member
Lyrics for the songs we sing. My wife took this pic in-between songs as I was adjusting some settings on my guitar/Helix, hence why no words are on them in this pic.
Are they projected or are those large monitors?

I'm interested in projection systems for a project.

crambone

Are they projected or are those large monitors?

I'm interested in projection systems for a project.
Projected from behind. You can see the projected images on the screens in the haze as they go towards the screens.

The school lets us leave the screens and 2 rows of lighting (the ones that are shining from above) suspended year-round. We just have to crank-up the screens after each service so they are above the top of the stage and out of view to the audience. The lights on the stage are all picked-up each week. Basically, we leave the stage you see completely bare after our services.

Hugh_s

Silver Supporting Member
Projected from behind. You can see the projected images on the screens in the haze as they go towards the screens.

The school lets us leave the screens and 2 rows of lighting (the ones that are shining from above) suspended year-round. We just have to crank-up the screens after each service so they are above the top of the stage and out of view to the audience. The lights on the stage are all picked-up each week. Basically, we leave the stage you see completely bare after our services.
So what are you using to project? Do the images look bright or pop even with the haze? How much projector horsepower does it really take here?

I’ve been mulling over how to do a projector deal for a show. I just dunno how the throw and lumens rating will really work out in practice.

Hugh_s

Silver Supporting Member
Anyhow, I’m really interested in the projector thing, anything you could share would help me out.

Back on the hazer deal, anyone use the Chaucer haze 2d? I only generally play smaller places and stages if I’m providing my own PA and lights. The 4d seems like maybe overkill, but I don’t really have a reference.

Any experience with the Marq or Antari z-series stuff?

Trending Topics