Let's talk about Menatone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by justonwo, Dec 27, 2009.

1. justonwo

justonwo Member

It's one of those companies that just doesn't get much "air time" here . . . probably because there's no wait list. :)

I've been really impressed with the King of the Britains, which I've had for 3 or 4 years now. It's my go-to pedal when I want to push my Super Lead into plexi overdrive. With the Super Lead volume on 3 and pushed by the KOTB, the resulting tone is practically indistinguishable from the sound when dimed. That makes the amp a little more versatile switching from clean to dirty. When I'm at home with my Champ or Reeves, it does an equally impressive job at low volume.

I also recently acquired the TBIAC which I've been using in front of my Reeves. I haven't clocked as many hours as I'd like yet, but I'm already quite impressed. Brian Mena just seems to have a knack for voicing pedals.

Who else out there is a big Menatone fan? I'd really like to hear about the Red Snapper and Blue Collar, the two pedals that have been around the longest.

2. ROKY

ROKY Member

Great pedals,, so much stuff on the market these days, but Brian was definitely
    one of the early boutique pedal builders.

He originally worked for TopHat amps building amps, before going into building pedals,
    so he has first-hand experience with amp circuits.

I have 2 of the old 3-knob Foxy Browns and 3-knob Red Snapper - had a 4-knob
    TBIAC, and a 4-knob hand-wired Blue Collar, and really miss the TBIAC.

3. deathbyska76

deathbyska76 Member

GREAT stuff, at least the few ive been able to try out.

haha btw, the title of the thread reminds me of a 7th grade sex ed video title. lolololol

4. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

fantastic pedals. i've owned almost all of them and each blow several other 'popular' pedals WAAAAAYYY out of the water. super amp like and just RAW sounding.

5. never-enough

never-enough Member

I have a TBIAC and a Red Snapper.

Both are killer sounding, well made pedals.

6. Goodwood Audio

Goodwood Audio Member

In before Cap'n'mayhem. Seriously, he's gonna be all over this thread like white on rice

7. iim7v7im7

iim7v7im7 Member

I just ordered a Menatone Red Snapper for my small board as a low gain OD (I have a Paul C Audio Tim on my larger board). The Tim works well for both my Accomplice and D-Lux because of its lack of coloration; so I am hoping the red snapper will fill this bill in a smaller package. People speak about these and Timmy pedals quite often as being similar. I am looking forward to trying it out next week. I'll let folks know what I think.

8. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

Brian builds fantastic sounding pedals. Red Snapper is hall of fame stuff, everyone should try one.

9. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I have a 4 knob handwired Blue Collar-I like it a lot. I haven't tried any of his other ones though. It got knocked off my board by a Keeley Ts9dx flexi because it's got more options-they can sound very close though.

10. Steve_2020

Steve_2020 Member

Had the pleasure of meeting Brian at NAMM a few years ago and having him run me through all the pedals. I already had a TBIAC which I love. He's a nice guy and really gave me a good demo at that big show where it's sometimes hard to get decent demos.

He explained me that some of his pedals are traditional boost/effect pedals and that some are amp-in-a-can emulators: TBIAC, KOTB, Kar Krash, Howie etc. He does a great job on all of them; I really like the emulators.

Wound up also buying a latest version of the Howie soon after. The Howie is a pedal which not everyone loves or uinderstands, maybe as not everyone loves or understands Dumble amps. Brian's explanation of where the magic sauce lays in that tone was eye opening. I like the Howie fine for what it's inteneded to do. Deifnitely adds that D-type voice to a fender style amp. Maybe other styles as well.

I Really wanted a Kar Krash, the latest version of which he only had a demo of at the time. I think it was out for a while before he (apprently) did a rethink of the pedal line. Doesn't seem to be currently offerred.

I'm a Menatone fan. I don't think there's a pedal he makes (or made) that I don't want to have someday. Since the Kar Krash is MIA for now, my next one will be a King Of The Britains.

11. Skykrab

Skykrab Member

KK v.3, Shut up and Drive, and None more Black...Yup I like Menatone Pedals.

12. waters

waters Member

Still no Cap'n'mayhem, odd. :) Anyways I have had a handful of Menatones and they were all great pedals. The Red Snapper after many many years is still my favorite OD pedal.

13. jms6668

jms6668 Member

Pray Tell. :)

14. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I own a KOTB, Kar Krash, None More Black, Foxy Brown, and Pleasure Trem 5000.

He really does make great pedals. They are great sounding, quiet, and built really sturdily. Each of the Menatone pedals that I own offers something different to my sound. Since I only have one amp, the KOTB, Kar Krash, and Foxy Brown are great for quickly achieving broad tonal variety (and cover a lot of sonic ground).

The None More Black seems to be a pretty impressive high gain pedal. Not surprisingly, it is somewhat less quiet than the above mentioned amp emulator designs. But it is not exceptionally noisy for a high gain unit, and it likewise offers a great deal of tonal flexibility in a small package.

His tremolo unit is also cool. I especially like that this pedal does not feature a separate volume -- so it works like built in amp tremolo.

15. jms6668

jms6668 Member

Big Menatone fan here. There is complexity but rawness to them that just works for me. I bought my first Red Snapper and Blue Collar about 10 years ago. And although I had to part with them due to an emergency, I have since replaced the Blue Collar, added 5 more of his others, I am going to replace the Red Snapper, and pick up some others that I never owned. I love them for recording and gigging. They are currently replacing some of the TGP darlings and famed wait-list specials that really didn't compare for me over time.
    Great stuff.

16. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

I got a Kar Krash not too long ago--its amazing. I'm surprised it doesn't get more attention.

17. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I have TBIAC, MFB, KOTB, WMB, RS, DB, KK, and Howie. I sold all but one amp and use these for all playing and recording. They sound and feel like amps and they respond to other pedals like amps (fuzz or treble boost into KOTB, hotcake into TBIAC, zendrive into howie, etc). They are the foundation of my sound. NMB, DB, and SUND are on my want list.

18. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

HUGE Aussie Menatone fan here - my Menatone affiliation dates back to when they first came out - I saw a guitar magazine article on TBIAC - as a uni student i couldn't afford so plugged on with a DS1
    - finally bought a early 4knob TBIAC on Aussie ebay and was astounded by how amp like it was (I play through an AC30 so could compare) - complex harmonics - smooth yet raw at same time...
    - i was bitten by menatone bug - collected most of the silver back early ones - RS - BC - O-Ring - KOTB - Mail Bomb - Pleasure Trem -WMB - FB - and 2 fish factories and a Kar Krash. - kk is best sounding drive i've ever used.
    I think Menas are unsurpassed and criminally underrated considering his amp in a can cascaded jfet innovations
    - people extol the virtues of someone who can "tune" 2 or 3 transistors (and someone else's circuit lol) and pay obscene amounts - while these great pedals remain under the radar.....

19. JCM 800

JCM 800 Member

Anyone have info on the new Menatone Wreck't??

20. 8strings0hair

8strings0hair Member

Great pedals. Great customer service. What more could you want?

(My Mail Bomb serial #002 from 1998 is on its way back to me after a little "tune up"...can't wait :) )