Lets talk about reverbs

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nsriley, Nov 8, 2005.

1. nsriley

nsriley Member

I use a EH Holy Grail reverb pedal with my amps. It sounds not bad, at low reverb levels, but I notice it adds quiet a bit of Hiss to my signal when on.

What other good ones are out there that sound like an old Spring reverb, and also won't break my bank account?

-Peace
    -Nate

2. what?

what? Member

I use my boss DD-3 for reverb...works great..

3. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I've never played a reverb pedal that I liked. A used Peavey Valverb goes for about $200-$250 (which might just be breaking the bank!) and is a tube driven reverb and tremolo unit. It sounds and acts like a good vintage amp reverb.

4. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

A Boss DM-2 or DM-3 provide a very nice reverb vibe.

5. what?

what? Member

Yes I think DM2 or 3 would be better for reverb than DD-3 as they sound warmer and not as digital as DD-3...

6. nsriley

nsriley Member

Hmmm. I've got a DD-6 delay, which sounds almost too digital to me at times........

Keep the suggestions and comments coming, they are great so far.

-Peace
    -Nate

7. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

the Holy Grail sounds good to me, when used by itself and with the amp at low volumes.

But you know what I hate about it?

The retarded power supply that comes with it. I mean, it's got to be the most archaic design I've ever seen. Why not make it battery powered? I got rid of mine because I hated having to always plug it in. Batteries are where it's at, but I've yet to find a verb that sounds as good as the Holy Grail that actually uses a 9V. Just a thought. Other than that, I really liked the way it sounded. The new ones with true bypass really are better than the old wooden box models. but again, the dang power supply. i'm sure leaving the verb on all the time would eat batteries, but I would personally be willing to deal with that. oh well.

8. nsriley

nsriley Member

I do agree with the power supply thing, at least make it like ever other pedal out there.

-Peace
    -Nate

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

How do you guys stand that long reverb tail though? I tried it and it just about drove me nuts. It didn't seem to help to lower the mix either.

I vote (once again) for the EBS Dynaverb. The pedal is small, solid, handles signals (I have one amp with a +10db Effects loop!! and it handles it fine), no noise, and the must luscious reverb I have heard. It got me to where I prefer it over any of my amps' reverbs.

I don't think it has "spring" though. Has Hall, Room, and Plate, each one with 3 variations...well except one of them the variation is shared on another..

Also it has a tone control for the reverb, stereo outs, and runs on normal 9 vdc (I forget if it can use battery...I just always use power supply).

You owe it to yourself to try it out!

10. nsriley

nsriley Member

I hardly turn the knob up at all on the EH HG, otherwise the long tail is aweful! I was just listening to clips of the new Verbzilla reberb pedal from Line 6......very cool sounding.......

-Peace
    -Nate

11. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

the long tail really isn't that weird. sounds very Fenderish to me. however, since I push the output section of my amp so hard, I would rarely have to turn it up past 9:00. not very much tail at that setting, especially on the spring setting.

however, anything beyond that, and it started to sound pretty crappy.

although, not as artificial sounding as the boss reverb.

one more thing, i would use the line6 pedals, but come on... there freakin ugly. i would never defile my other pedals by putting a tonecore next to them. they look like something out of Total Recall. eff that.

12. nsriley

nsriley Member

Yup agree. I push my power sections real hard hence I never turn mine past 8 o'clock or so. Yeah the looks of the ToneCore is weird, but I let the sound guide me, not looks.
    I might just save up for an old 60's Fender Reverb unit.

-Peace
    -nate

13. OOG

OOG Member

he's right
    best reverb in a pedal i've heard
    you do have to use their power supply, if you don't use batteries

14. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Oog...not quite sure what you meant about "having to use their power supply"....I just use my Carl Martin "Big John" and it works fine. It's normal DC, center negative.

15. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

nsriley:

does the Fender tube unit get weird when you use an overdrive box in front of the chain?

i've heard weird things about how it accelerates the gain in the reverb tank and sends the Fender all to hell...

just curious because i have toyed with the idea of purchasing one too.