Let's talk about the 80s again....

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
What did you like musically in the 80s and what did you dislike? :confused

For me, I liked the 'new wave' stuff and the analog synth songs (pre DX7). Thomas Dolby, The Fixx, Til Tuesday, The Motels, Tears for Fears, The Police and way too many other bands to mention. There were also a lot of great 'one hit wonders' in that era!

Around 1984, things slowly started getting funky :huh

You? :red

John Quinn

The 1980s were a time - life was pretty good - music was really good - and after the drudgery of the 1960s hangover that was the 1970s - there was music that was different and fun. I liked a lot of the DIY bands - many of whom were signed to distinctly non DIY labels. Great clothes - fun hairstyles - opening up of the food and drink palettes - aging rockers making really special music - and a great time to explore the world.

But the 1980s were also about brutal capitalism - poorly built appliances and cars with built in obsolescence
at 5 years - ridiculous taxes and worse politics. Cheap and Poorly run business that were out to legally scam the common people - and the beginnings of the Super Corporations that were hard core - where people
worked endless hours under brainless goofballs that were coke heads - and sadly people aspired to be in their positions so they could do the same.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
Pop music was great in the 80's.
Jazz was...confused, but interesting.
"Alternative" music was actually alternative.
Rap was like, a new thing every few months.
In the pre-internet era, music really mattered to people.

When I think back to what I didn't like about the 80's, it was the that CDs made every album too long and the tours made the time between albums too long.

BigGreggoTX

Silver Supporting Member
The 80s were effing awesome, especially for rock and metal fans. Quiet Riot was the first metal band to reach Billboard's #1, AC/DC and Van Halen got new front men, Metallica and GnR became household names, Queen brought the house down at Live Aid, Ronnie James Dio and David Lee Roth formed super groups, Living Colour's "Vivid" and Satriani's "Surfing with the Alien" were released. And so on and so on and so on. It was an awesome time to be a young rock and metal fan, and to start playing guitar.

pepedede

The 80s were effing awesome, especially for rock and metal fans. Quiet Riot was the first metal band to reach Billboard's #1, AC/DC and Van Halen got new front men, Metallica and GnR became household names, Queen brought the house down at Live Aid, Ronnie James Dio and David Lee Roth formed super groups, Living Colour's "Vivid" and Satriani's "Surfing with the Alien" were released. And so on and so on and so on. It was an awesome time to be a young rock and metal fan, and to start playing guitar.

I Agree, once you ignored the god awful pop culture the rock and metal scene was very healthy and vital until the end of the decade. By 1990 it was gasping for breath, but for a time, it's time was awesome.

dblazer

Meh. "Back in Black" was a good album and SRV was mostly an 80s thing. Otherwise, not much I cared for really.

Last edited:

consumerduck

I turned 10 in 1980. i remember being sad when i heard john lennon was shot and killed. i had older siblings into hard rock. i knew and appreciated it, but i started with duran duran and u2 and never looked back. that lead to echo and the bunnymen, the cure, new order, the smiths. again, i never looked back. by mid 80s started to get more into the guitar driven "alternative" stuff and came back to this side of the pond- REM, scruffy the cat, bad brains. by late 80s was soaking it all in. in 1988, my senior year of high school, i heard the Fall and Sonic Youth and the Sugar Cubes. Never looked back.

The 80s were awesome if you know where to look and listen.

Didn't like: banger guitars and butt-rock bands. i remember looking at telecasters in the late 80s and the dude at the guitar center told me that the telecaster was a country guitar and not really a rock guitar. so i made sure i bought the one with blue flowers on it.

Highway Jones

Silver Supporting Member
Albums were harder to make which weeded out 90% of the trash we see on Spotify today. I enjoyed the full album experience and while the radio might have been pushing Jump, Panama and Hot For Teacher, I was digging the drum fills in "I'll Wait" or the slow swing of "Drop Dead Legs".

BigGreggoTX

Silver Supporting Member
Albums were harder to make which weeded out 90% of the trash we see on Spotify today. I enjoyed the full album experience and while the radio might have been pushing Jump, Panama and Hot For Teacher, I was digging the drum fills in "I'll Wait" or the slow swing of "Drop Dead Legs".
The first :30 or so of "Drop Dead Legs" is one of my favorite Eddie moments on record.

rauchman

I turned 11 in 1980. Musically, I thought it was a fantastic decade with a wide variety of new music types.

I loved the harder edged metal that was new...
Ozzy
Yngwie Malmstein
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Anthrax
Judas Priest
Dio
Queensryche

And then there was the really heavy stuff...
Slayer
VoiVod
Celtic Frost
Razor
SOD
MOD

The hair/pop metal, I liked some of it, but wasn't into the "look", but was VERY into the ladies of this genre. When I think of the "fun" of the 80's, somehow it centers around this type of music
My fav's
Dokken
VH
Ratt

And the new wave stuff was fantastic. It had a sound that was specific to this period, that whenever I hear it, it's the type of music that brings me back the most
The Fixx
Duran Duran
Human League
Pyschedelic Furs
Eurymthics
Nena
Police
INXS
Echo and the Bunnymen
U2
Siouxie and the Banshees
(I know I'm missing a bunch....)

And while I didn't really appreciate at the time, I've come to love rap from this period
Public Enemy
NWA
Ice T

And then, the other stuff...
Rush
Eddie Brickel and the new Bohemians
Sade

....and I know I'm missing a bunch of stuff

Overall, I thought this decade had one of the widest expanses of "new" music types, and some great songs. Great time for guitarists too!

Trending Topics