Let's talk about the 80s again....

I was born in 74 so the 80s were basically where I came of age musically - I liked most of it. Although I guess a lot of big name acts from the 60s and 70s kind of hit low points or went way over the top to cash in on what was commercially viable which cost me a lot of time to get some of them in my musical vocabulary.

I was deep into hardcore and then thrash by the end of it. So I guess I also had limited appreciation for some of the softer alternative acts.

Whittlez

The 1980s were a time - life was pretty good - music was really good - and after the drudgery of the 1960s hangover that was the 1970s - there was music that was different and fun. I liked a lot of the DIY bands - many of whom were signed to distinctly non DIY labels. Great clothes - fun hairstyles - opening up of the food and drink palettes - aging rockers making really special music - and a great time to explore the world.

But the 1980s were also about brutal capitalism - poorly built appliances and cars with built in obsolescence
at 5 years - ridiculous taxes and worse politics. Cheap and Poorly run business that were out to legally scam the common people - and the beginnings of the Super Corporations that were hard core - where people
worked endless hours under brainless goofballs that were coke heads - and sadly people aspired to be in their positions so they could do the same.
Imo, the 80's were about a New Hope after recovering from stagflation, an energy crisis and possibly the most depressing lame speech in history (the infamous "malaise" speech). Economy started rebounding in about 1983 and of course MTV STARTED IN 1981 which started a WHOLE NEW ERA in MUSIC

Live music had always been to a lesser or greater extent a visual as well as audio spectacle - Bowie, KISS, Alex Cooper etc. but now it was a whole new kind of mixed medium

New Wave was born - essentially it started out as Punk Lite (tm) but morphed into a valid musical genre all its own. and thankfully we DID have the PUNK REVOLUTION which cleared out a lot of overproduced disco stuff and reinvigorated rock.

ZZ Top released Eliminator - a very 80's thing - a classic longtime legend Texas Blues band added some sequencer sheen and some visual tropes and became a huge thing.

Even Rockabilly came back with a band that (imo) benefited greatly from the MTV Era - The Stray Cats.

I'll admit my bias (people tend to prefer the music of their late teens) but it's my favorite decade for music!!

It's also the decade that made home recording a thing! I had a 4 track recorder senior year of high school and that just wasn't a thing in the 70's!

The 80's was AWESOME!

gretschplayer

The Eghties spanned my the last 2 years of junior high, all of high school, and all of college. Musically, my memories range from Tattoo You and Built for Speed, to getting into punk (The Clash, SLF, Husker Du, Replacements), then the Pogues, REM, the Fall and Sonic Youth when I was in college, and at the end of the decade moving to more "Indie" music like the Pixies and Dinosaur Jr.

But nothing says 80s more than new wave/synth stuff, of which the very best iin my opinion is:

I like the 12" version better, with the yelp and everything.

gretschplayer

I hated hair metal/glam metal, motley, bon jovi, but Motorhead, Maiden, Priest, and the like were good.

I was into more punk/post-punk/new wave/indie...4AD, Rough Trade, Factory Records, paisley underground...Mazzy Star, Blood on the Saddle, Blue Aeroplanes, Jazz Butcher, Monochrome Set, The Fall were amazing in the 80's, Cocteau Twins, The Cramps, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Sonic Youth, X...

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
They are both great, but there is something about the way the original single is structured that is more moving. Have you seen the early version perfromed live in NY in 81?
Talk about the young men (and woman).

A-Bone

Saw them a few years later in LA- but was only 14 when that was recorded and I was not giong to shows yet.
Is that performance from the "Taras Chevchenko" Factory video release?

I saw New Order only a few years later as well (in Berkeley, CA), and then saw them again and again and again and...

mnf67

Is that performance from the "Taras Chevchenko" Factory video release?

I saw New Order only a few years later as well (in Berkeley, CA), and then saw them again and again and again and...
Correct, its from the Ukranian National Home show. I only saw them once.

A-Bone

Correct, its from the Ukranian National Home show. I only saw them once.
Was it on the Low-life tour or Brotherhood? I was about ten when the posted performance happened, but I own the video. Haven't watched it in years. It's among my few remaining VHS tapes (along with the New Order concert tape P.F.D. and the Here Are the Young Men Joy Division compilation).

mnf67

Was it on the Low-life tour or Brotherhood? I was about ten when the posted performance happened, but I own the video. Haven't watched it in years. It's among my few remaining VHS tapes (along with the New Order concert tape P.F.D. and the Here Are the Young Men Joy Division compilation).
I think it was the Palladium in LA which would make it November 86 so Brotherhood?

A-Bone

I think it was the Palladium in LA which would make it November 86 so Brotherhood?
Indeed. I saw them in November of that year at the Berkeley Community Theater. Do you remember who opened for them in LA?

M. Shoop

The Wipers, Hoodoo Gurus, the Teardrop Explodes/Julian Cope, Sado-Nation, the Angels (Angel City), Toy Dolls, Husker Du, XTC, the Replacements, Divinyls, the Smiths, Evan Johns, the Stray Cats, the Pretenders, Poison Idea, the Skids, Bill Nelson, Kate Bush, Gary Myrick, X, Nick Lowe, Jason & the Scorchers, Radio Birdman, the Celibate Rifles, Chris Isaak, Rank & File, Adam & the Ants, King Crimson, the Church, Dream Syndicate, the Cult, Bad Brains, Wall of Voodoo, Meat Puppets, The Godfathers, Los Lobos, the Waterboys, the Georgia Satellites, Thomas Dolby, the Long Ryders, Oingo Boingo, Kid Creole & the Coconuts, DOA, Devo, Smithereens…

Trending Topics