Let's talk about the 80s again....

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
What was that J. D. Considine review of the band: "Echo of the bunnymen."
Hahahaha! I’ll never forget the first time I heard that song. I thought to myself “Well that guitarist obviously likes the Bunnymen”.

motokev

What did you like musically in the 80s and what did you dislike?

Loved the New Wave movement and corresponding one hit wonders.
Tear for Fears (my favorite), Thompson Twins, B52s, Human League, Simply Red, Flock of Seagulls, Billy Idol and so on.

Didn't care for the hair bands, YUCK

this song brings back so many 80s memories:

Last edited:

mos6507

Silver Supporting Member
Having lived through the 80s my opinions of it have sort of come full-circle.

At the time of synthwave and such I came to hate it because I got into guitar and was more into 70s music and metal. However, once that style of music faded away I began to miss it. It's not that I would want to listen to nothing but 80s music, but that certain aspects of 80s music and album production have a vibe that just plain no longer exists. You can say the same thing about any era (like the height of disco, bubblegum pop, etc...) So it has its place.

A good example of this is how some bands "went soft" in the 80s like Rush or Yes. Depending on your perspective, they did indeed go soft but they also sort of stepped into a different world. I've become more appreciative of the thinner and reverb/delay ridden "textural" guitar era, the synth pads, snappy brittle drums. You know, think The Fixx or The Cure. I wouldn't want to subsist on a neverending diet of the stuff but it is its own thing with its own moody ambience.

The early 80s were an exciting time for music in the sense of all that new technology being available for the first time in so many domains. It was overdone, of course, but I miss that naïve kid-in-a-candy-store exuberance.

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
i was listening to this song a few days ago and decided to look it up, b/c i did like it, didn't know it was written by Keith Forsey, who produced Billy Idol's albums in the 80s....i didn't know the history of the song, which i thought was interesting (from Wiki):

"Forsey next offered "Don't You (Forget About Me)" to Bryan Ferry, then to Billy Idol, whom Forsey was producing at the time, but both declined.[2][a] The record company suggested Corey Hart, who had a hit at the time with "Sunglasses at Night", but Forsey did not think Hart would be the right singer for the song.[3] Fixx lead singer Cy Curnin also passed."

What did you like musically in the 80s and what did you dislike?

Loved the New Wave movement and corresponding one hit wonders.
Tear for Fears (my favorite), Thompson Twins, B52s, Human League, Simply Red, Flock of Seagulls, Billy Idol and so on.

Didn't care for the hair bands, YUCK

this song brings back so many 80s memories:

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
it's funny , when i think of the 80s, i think of seeing this for the first time in '89:

and running out the next day to buy the Tin Machine album on cassette!!!!! have it on CD now!!!! loved that band!!

OJT1212

At the time I was listening to metal, punk and hardcore. I didn’t have much love for the pop music at the time and I didn’t like butt rock either.

now I really dig it all. Such a great era for music.

ns2a

I was never a huge Van Halen fan, but oddly I liked all the bands that copied Van Halen. So I love the 80s hair metal.

My favorite Priest album is Turbo, the only Ozzy I like are the Jake albums.

It was all about FUN which is sorely missing in music.

flume

Double Platinum Member
Jaz Coleman summed them up relatively early in the decade:

Imagine writing an iconic song like that and just shrugging it off. Whenever I ask Geordie about it he just smirks.

A force from beyond this realm.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
What did you like musically in the 80s and what did you dislike? :confused

For me, I liked the 'new wave' stuff and the analog synth songs (pre DX7). Thomas Dolby, The Fixx, Til Tuesday, The Motels, Tears for Fears, The Police and way too many other bands to mention. There were also a lot of great 'one hit wonders' in that era!

Around 1984, things slowly started getting funky :huh

You? :red
I’m with you Doc... loved all those bands.. played a lot of their songs as well in the club scene... back then I was playing a Prophet 5 direct to our massive sound system and guitar through a Jim Kelley.....yes, in 84, things started changing.....

Trending Topics