Let's talk about the 80s again....

Jecht

80s is my favorite decade. Glam/Hair Metal is my favorite along with AOR groups like Strangeways, FM, Signal, but I also love everything from the synth pop, pop rock, to the thrash music too. Just something about the music from that decade does it for me.

The decade got off to a horrible start for me, what with the deaths of John Lennon and John Bonham. It definitely felt like the end of an era - and not in a good way. I could count the number of 80s rock or pop groups I really liked on one hand and still have fingers left over. 1980 was the year I stopped listening to radio for good. I spent the decade listening to 60s and 70s rock and contemporary jazz fusion, e.g., Tribal Tech, Chick Corea Elektric Band, Mike Stern, et al. I should mention that, although I wasn’t a big fan of the metal or hair bands, I at least respected those guys’ aspirations to musicianship.

Bankston

I tend to favor music from the first half of the 80's. It seems like there was a change in production values that made everything from '86 to '90 sound bland, sterile, safe and homogenous . . . of course, with notable exceptions. And I'm sure TGP will point those out for me.

There was so much great guitar playing in nearly every genre from New Wave to Metal to Pop, etc. Most of the guitar gods of the 50's 60's and 70's were still actively putting out new music and touring. There was a huge generation of new players coming onto the scene. It was an inspiring and intimidating time to start learning to play guitar.

I agree with those who say there wasn't much about 80's popular music that I didn't like. But the music I loved was British Heavy Metal, NWOBHM, the first wave of L.A. glam metal, early New Wave and Pop, Texas blues rock, and some arena rock.

The second half of the 80's I was seeking something different . . . so the emergence of thrash was welcome along with Queensryche and Faith No More.

I'm trying to think of what I didn't like.... :confused:dunno
The 80s were effing awesome, especially for rock and metal fans. Quiet Riot was the first metal band to reach Billboard's #1, AC/DC and Van Halen got new front men, Metallica and GnR became household names, Queen brought the house down at Live Aid, Ronnie James Dio and David Lee Roth formed super groups, Living Colour's "Vivid" and Satriani's "Surfing with the Alien" were released. And so on and so on and so on. It was an awesome time to be a young rock and metal fan, and to start playing guitar.
This is exactly how I feel, but I usually hesitate to post in these threads because of the negativity. I liked it all.

pale fire

Silver Supporting Member
I still recall my first exposure to this band, this song and video on Night Flight on the USA network:

even though my bands at this time were “originals” I made sure we played Scene of a Perfect Crime. This was philly (not Southern California) , so pretty sure everyone assumed it was one of ours

porcytree

Initially I was really only interested in electronic music (Gary Numan, John Foxx, Ultravox, Thomas Dolby, Simple Minds) but when I got to college ( 82 - 84 ), and began playing guitar / bass in a couple of college bands, I began to take more of an interest in rock / classic rock stuff ( Whitesnake, Purple, Free, Sabbath etc ).

In my last year at college I also began to get into Prog - so mainly Genesis, Yes, Camel & Pink Floyd.
I also started to be more interested in artists such as Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush, Talking Heads, King Crimson ( Belew era), Joe Jackson and one or two others.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
even though my bands at this time were “originals” I made sure we played Scene of a Perfect Crime. This was philly (not Southern California) , so pretty sure everyone assumed it was one of ours
It's a great tune.

bluesuede

Is this the thread where people pretend they listened to better music in the 80s, or is this where people are honest?

Honest?:

This. AIWA walkman w/ Bass Boost on. No RWD, just FWD.

I saw Tiffany live. I took my sister for her birthday. Actually was a good show...she could really song and had a top notch band. Only downside was screaming of prepubescent girls piercing my eardrums.

soundchaser59

Thank You Great Spirit!
Silver Supporting Member
I've heard so many people say nothing good (referring to no good music) came out of the 80s. So I googled music of the 80s.

I have to admit the list of what I didn't like is much shorter.

But I will take this opportunity to share my never very humble opinion that one artist that I will never appreciate musically is Madonna.

And the one artist that I most seriously underestimated was Michael Jackson.

I also noticed that the vast majority of the music I liked from the 80s seemed to be holdovers from the classic rock of the late 70s, with more music based on traditional analog rock with guitars and organs and pianos.

I'm wondering now if the stuff I really didn't like was more from the 90s.