Lets talk about the importance of psychology, intent, and envisionment in becoming a great player

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by SuperSilverHaze, Jul 11, 2018.

1. c7sus

c7sus Member

The idea that it takes 10,000 hours to master skills isn't a rule and it isn't silly either. In all honesty it takes much longer than for most people that to gain a well-rounded level of experience in multiple situations and environments and to be able to read the context of how to apply whatever skill it is you are applying to the task at hand.

While the technical aspects and skills needed can easily cross over from one situation to another, the contexts of any set of environments can radically alter how those technical skills are applied; and depending on the environment may require skills that even people operating at a journeyman-level may never have had to obtain in their previous experience.

One may want to solve problems involving dynamic algebra, but simply envisioning solving a dynamic algebra problem doesn't enable one to actually do it.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    SuperSilverHaze likes this.
  2. SuperSilverHaze

SuperSilverHaze Member

it certainly doesnt give one the skill and soul to actually do it. however its an overlooked aspect and i believe it to help for multiple reasons. i am in no way saying that you can envision yourself doing something and it happen without working at it though.

3. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

I agree and I disagree - I mean, both types of players exist and can be successful.

I was watching this video and I said to myself "his thing is not [just] being a great technical player, but mainly he is aware of what he is delivering to his audience as he plays." He believes he can play impressively and so he does. He finds the way as he goes along.

That is completely different from EVH
    or Robben Ford who worked for years on finding 100 new chords, licks, tricks & techniques to do on stage.

But it is an attitude that can work, if you work it, so work it, if you can. And keep coming back.

4. c7sus

c7sus Member

I make it a point every time I have some medical or dental procedure performed on me to ask the provider if I will be able to play piano after the procedure.

More often than not the answer is a simple "yes".

Sometimes the caveat of "...if you already know how" is included.

And more often than not I respond with "that's great because I can't play a lick right now".

Pro tip: When you go in for a colonoscopy or other invasive procedure always ask female nurses and providers "what is a sweetheart like you doing in a place like this?"

It is the very best part of aging.

5. Megatron

Megatron Member

He got where he is in a simple way.

He(his dad) wanted him to model a specific player. Originally.
    Billed as a prodigy and the 2nd coming. That's definiteness of purpose.

Hooked him up with a teacher that could teach him the signature licks, riffs and techniques for that artist.

And his dad put a band around him and pulled every contact he could to make it happen. Managed him too.
    Not a virtuoso technical player or songwriter at that point.
    He had a gimmick that got peoples attention when he was young.
    I like some of his songs and I'm not ragging just stating the obvious. If he tried to breakout for the first time now it would never happen for him.
    Good enough player, but not the career he earned off the original gimmick.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018