Let's talk Bigsby Guitars...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bluesbreaker59, Nov 15, 2010.

1. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

The real ones, the reissues, the pickups... Who owns one? Have you compared a reissue to "the real deal"? How are those new Fred Stuart PA1946 Bigsby pickups? Do they compare to the real thing?

Been listening to way too much Grady Martin... I know these are rare, but surely someone on here has one of these or maybe some of the pickups?

2. bluesbreaker59

3. brianeharmonjr

brianeharmonjr Member

I love these guitars. I'm in the early stages of making a clone of the Bigsby Travis guitar, but with dual humbucker-sized P-90's and a Bigsby vibrato. I've got a nice slab of birdseye maple and some walnut for the trimmings. I'd love to get a hold of some approximation of the original Bigsby pickups, but not sure how to go about that. If you're interested and haven't already, you should absolutely pick up the Andy Babiuk's "The Story of Paul Bigsby". It's an outstanding book and has tons of great pictures as well. Here's some eye candy:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

I've never touched or seen one in person but I have a real fascination with Bigbsy's guitars. To me they just seemed so far ahead of their time, very cool guitars. I really enjoy looking at them.

5. amc

amc Member

i've never seen more than 1 bigsby guitar at a time.

are they all owned by cream city music?

6. bluesbreaker59

I believe those are the reissues made at the Gretsch Japan factory (Tirada, I believe is the name of the factory) I know the Tirada made Gretsches are phenomenal, I own a 2004 6120DSW already, its great, GREAT guitar!

I've never seen an original or reissue in person, let alone played one. Do they have fat necks or skinny? Are the pickups similar to really low wind P90's??? Are the Stuart Bigsby pickups close to the real deal?

I'm considering just taking on a Tele project and slapping in the Stuart Bigsby pickups. I love the tone TK Smith gets on youtube with his Tele with the Stuart Bigsby pickup and the tele bridge pickup. But TK would sound good with anything, he's a monster player.

7. bluesbreaker59

I ordered the book last night, can't wait for it to come in.

8. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Gold Supporting Member

I sent them an email asking where I could try/buy one, as well as a few reasonable technical questions, and never got a response. I guess they're not keen to sell.

9. Fenderkid67

Fenderkid67 Member

I got a tirada acoustic from the 70's seriously. GREAT sounding guitar!! Really top notch. love it.

10. bluesbreaker59

Anyone else got one of these or played one?

11. brianeharmonjr

brianeharmonjr Member

Mine will be like this, but with walnut armrest and pickguard:

[​IMG]

12. bluesbreaker59

BTT, any others with experience?

13. TravisE

TravisE Supporting Member

I've been down this road before. I also have an obsession with these guitars and tried my best to buy one but couldn't locate one to purchase. I put WTB ads in the emporium and scoured the internet. There is a TGP member with one of the reissues but I can't remember his name. He did say it was a great sounding guitar. The originals are so scarce, I wonder how close the pickups can possibly be. I doubt anyone that's making them has spent any time with an original.

14. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

I have a reissue. Have had it for about 5 years, was told it was 'used', but not played. Mine is a BY50T, I believe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was somewhat expensive for an MIJ guitar, comparable to the higher-end MIJ Gretsches. The fit, finish, playability and feel of the guitar are superb. The bridge pickup was slightly microphonic onstage, so I had it potted. I had purchased a Gretsch duo jet, with dynasonics, not long before the Bigsby arrived, and soncially, the two were VERY similar. Very sparkly-spanky single-coil sounds, but with more thickness than a Fender. One of the few guitars I will never sell, and that several people have asked me to will to them.

The other 'Bigsby' guitars with stop-tails and humbucker pickups, I have only played briefly at a couple guitar shows. The fit/finish/workmanship was fine, but they didn't feel right... I wouldn't be able to explain it...

I've never seen anything but a picture of an original Paul Bigsby Guitar, as I believe he made less than a dozen actual 6-strings.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  15. Robertk

Robertk Member

I love my re-issue. Sounds and plays great!

16. Zuhzuhzombie!!

Zuhzuhzombie!! Member

Would love to play one but, like above, have never found one and never got a response from the company.

17. GlueMan

GlueMan Member

Edit: removed post. Misunderstood opening.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  18. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

I'll definitely be getting a reissue someday when my wallet has enough cash.

19. Zuhzuhzombie!!

Zuhzuhzombie!! Member

Cream City only place to order these online?

20. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

They're supposed to be currently available in Japan.