Let’s talk building partscasters

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jrjones, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

Not true, feel free to correct misinformation. Warmoth is F licensed, and MJT will finish whatever neck you send them, including Allparts, Warmoth or any other.

2. drod1985

drod1985 Member

Warmoth and Musikraft are both Fender licensed. I love the necks I have from both of them.

Best Guitar Parts did me a solid and cut me a neck and body out of wood I supplied them - a mahogany tree from the front yard of my wife’s childhood home. They 100% nailed all the specs I requested.

[​IMG]

3. stratamania

stratamania Member

MJT don't make necks as others have stated. Warmoth makes Fender shaped headstocks so not sure what you are saying here.

jrcorp likes this.
  4. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Hahaha....if only you could see behind the curtain! Warmoth has been working on our new site for three years now. It's almost done...hopefully it will launch within the next year. Most complex and difficult project I've worked on in my professional career.

rauchman, Cruciform, HERSCHEL and 7 others like this.
  5. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

But nonetheless offers the public a headstock that's immediately identifiable as not being a Fender. And I ain't talking about decals or stamps.

An Allparts neck is not a perfect clone of a USA Fender neck, but it is so much closer in appearance.

Having the license does not obligate ya'll to create a perfect match. Maybe it is a savvy move to establish your own identity and stick with it. They're certainly handsome enough - proud to own 'em.

smallbutmighty likes this.
  6. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

Couple years ago, I built a Musikraft blackguard tele. Got the neck and liked it so much, bought the body. Great guitar.
    I have a good half dozen Warmoth necks, though all are from the 90s. I like all of them.

7. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Huh? Warmoth offers several licensed Fender headstocks.

8. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

This is true. An educated and discerning eye can easily spot the differences.

Even Fender's headstock shapes have varied over the years. We try not to be too concerned with the small differences. Instead we try to concentrate on doing our thing the best we can. I feel like we capture the Fender spirit at a level that is pleasing for most players. If people are able to look at a neck and say "That's a Warmoth", that's a good thing in our book.

A lot of people think that because Warmoth is officially licensed by Fender, that Fender has supplied us with all their routing templates, CNC files, etc. This is not true at all. Warmoth did this work for all their Fender-licensed necks independently.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    tamader74, romiso, rauchman and 3 others like this.
  9. Bossanova

Cool, how do you spot the difference? I always thought the allparts were closest.

10. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Bring back the old standard thin and I'll love you forever.
    I miss my 90's warmoth 'modern' necks. The last new 'std thin' I bought was D Shape and just not as comfy.
    My Clapton spec tele neck is nice though.

flatnine likes this.
  11. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Member

Regarding MJT: no, the necks they provide don't have the Fender shape, but they will finish any neck you provide. You can order a licensed Musikraft neck with the Fender shape and have it sent directly to MJT, which saves you 10%, also. That's how I did mine!

12. Sevenmodes

Sevenmodes Former/Future Time Bandit

I love both Musikraft and Warmoth necks and have built more than a few teles and strats with them.

My #1 tele, though, has an Allparts neck that feels better than any other I've ever owned. It was finished a long time ago (10+ years probably) by MJT.

One thing to keep in mind... assume all necks will need fret dressing at a minimum and probably leveling/crowning too. So, don't assume that if you are paying more for a MK or Warmoth, that you will save that on any fretwork that is needed.

Edit: Meant to say... if you are going for a vintage look and feel, Allparts with a good vintage finish will work great. If you are doing a more modern build, the Warmoth features would probably suit better. If you want high-quality woods (quartersawn, birdseye, top notch QC), MK is a good choice.

big mike likes this.
  13. Bossanova

pls tell me there's a "rounded edges" radial button in the new web site build somewhere...

WARMOTH WHY U NO ROUND EDGES?!?!?!?!?

14. White Buffalo

White Buffalo Member

does anyone believe in "tone tapping"? i ask because the idea of pairing just any body with just any neck seems like it'd have a fairly low success rate. i know the concept of tone tapping might seem like some marketing gimmick conjured up by boutique builders, but my experience building partscasters (mostly duds) makes me wonder... fyi, none of my builds were weird specs... all standard wood combos, pickups, etc. nothing wild. i've also learned certain specs you think would be great (i.e. super lightweight one-piece body) aren't always all that great in reality. i've mainly used guitar mill and while the work was great, i just didn't connect with the finished instruments. i'd be curious to try musikraft- have heard good things. also, my friends partscaster strat, which is one of the best strats i've played, is made from warmoth parts- i will give them a try as well.

killer blues likes this.
  15. Bossanova

nope.

Cruciform and HERSCHEL like this.
  16. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

fretwire is a little suspect on the allparts. It's definitely softer material.

17. Baconjerky

Baconjerky Member

I’ve got a modern warmoth neck on a strat build that has not seen a truss rod adjustment in years. Can’t say enough good things about it.

Recently I’ve been looking for a neck to put on an am standard body I have. Thought about trying something new and came real close to pulling the trigger on a musikraft. Ended up purchasing another warmoth though I’m trying a vintage modern here. Had such good luck with the first I thought why bother changing companies. Being able to see the actual neck in their ‘showcase’ before paying is a big plus for me when customizing.

Their website already blows away much of the competition so I’m kinda surprised to head about them investing in a new one.

wlalpaugh and Jdstrat like this.
  18. flatnine

flatnine Member

I've built many many Warmoth guitars in my time, like 10+, the quality is really great and super consistent. Building a guitar from scratch is a really fun project for certain.

Word of caution from experience- you can pick out every last part down to the screws, woods, pick-ups, contours etc. but you will not be able to predict with certainty whether you will be happy with end result. I've built some really awesome looking guitars with all the amenities you could want and had them not sound great or play great for one reason or another. Once built, it's resale value is like that of a used car- like 50% resell. I currently own the 3 of the many I've built that made the cut.

Grain of salt...

HERSCHEL likes this.
  19. sksmith66

sksmith66 Supporting Member

i seriously doubt fender is standing around tapping necks and bodies and matching them up based on that criteria alone on anything other than some crazy expensive master built stuff. I also doubt most boutique builders have enough bodies and necks laying around to effectively tone tap and match bodies and necks. Maybe the bigger boutique brands like keisel and suhr have enough inventory for their popular standard model guitars to do that. shops producing 50 guitars a year almost certainly don't. And if you are ordering anything even remotely custom from anyone but the largest boutique builders you are probably getting the only one and only one neck/body built for you. Maybe if you are lucky and order a 5A flamed baked maple neck with wenge fingerboard and a compound radius they've got a couple sitting around. if not. they make you 1, and that is the one you get. they don't make 5 of them and then pick the best one for you hoping 4 other guys want one later. so yeah if you want a tone tapped boutique strat/tele guitar you better order a maple/rosewood neck and an ash or alder body from one of the larger boutique brands. otherwise you are probably just getting the ones they built for you when you ordered them... and then maybe tapping them right before they screw them together so the buyer feels better about the end product.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    HERSCHEL and Go Cat Go!! like this.
  20. Muttlyboy

Muttlyboy Member

I wanted to do a 64 sort of replica Strat.

Guitarmill looks to be the only company that will do a round-lam fingerboard with the vintage Fender truss rod nut placement (adjusting nut close to the surface of the fingerboard, as opposed to deeper in the neck pocket)

They also do the stepped holes for the Kluson style pegs which I think is kind of cool.

From what I understand, Danocaster uses the Guitarmill stuff, so I figured if it's good enough for him...

I have a roasted neck from USACG, and I like the fact that I could leave the back of the neck unfinished, it has a nice sort of vintage-y honey color, and it never needs adjustment.

I was disappointed with the chocolate brown color of the one that I got from Guitarmill, but it took so long to get, and the people seemed to be bothered by speaking with me.
    I decided that before I send it back, let me see if this one will work out for me, but I kept the project on the back burner for almost a year.

I put it together a few months ago with a Warmoth roasted alder body, and I like the way the guitar rings acoustically, so the neck is a keeper...but yeah, I won't be ordering from them again.

I've had great dealings with USACG, and I have a beautifully built Slab board (supposedly Brazilian) strat neck, that looks and feels great, but actually sounds kind of dead.

uab9253 likes this.