Lets Talk Ceriatone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by CA$H FLOW, May 3, 2016.

1. CA$H FLOW

CA$H FLOW Member

I just ordered an OTS 20 head & Kleinulator from Ceriatone and can't wait. Nik will be building mine to the 80's OTS specs as requested; It's not a super common thing but I asked him about this and he said no problem.
    I'm obviously super excited about this purchase and would love to hear from all the other Ceriatone owners. What are your thoughts good or bad ?

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    Ash Telecaster and macmax77 like this.
  2. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Certiatone Yeti owner; 5 years know.

I still absolutely love it. I've owned some decent amps: Vox AC30, JCM800, Mesa Dual Recto, 5150, modelling rigs, rack rigs amongst others. The Yeti just lives for 80's high gain and does high gain how I like it.

Nik: awesome to deal with.

My Yeti still looks and sounds as good as the day it arrived. Nik even did a custom tolex job which I'm thankful for. It's a mad choice of colour but just works (purple and cream) for me with my bright Orange 4x12 (it's distinctive and I really like it :cool:). I'm still on the original tubes and they are still tight and angry. It's a very loud beast as a downside...it is 100watts I guess so slaving/attenuation is a wise choice. ;) It's not from the sparkly cleans, old school gain, vintage Marshall camp for anyone interested. Loop is basic so it does suck tone so I don't use it (I have no intention to mod it as I like the amp as is and don't want to do anything to alter the sound of it). The loop does work as a fantastic power amp though...as in better sounding that actual tube power amps (I've owned a number of them and the Yeti's power section sounds great).

Washburnmemphis and Darkburst like this.
  3. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Can someone explain the differences between the yeti and chupa? Do they both have diode clipping?

4. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

I have a Yeti 50 with 6550's. Nik was great to work with. He answered all my questions quickly and was very friendly the whole process. The build quality and craftsmanship are excellent. Better than some boutique stuff I've owned and seen made here in USA by highly regarded builders. I'll definitely buy more amps from Ceriatone in the future.

Fishyfishfish likes this.
  5. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Chupa was the first version and is a little brighter and a little less tight. The Yeti is a slightly darker relative with a bit tighter bottom end.

Both have diode clipper circuits like the (good) original Jose Marshall mods.

This may simply be fiction but...from msg board folklore, Mark Cameron designed a custom Jose style amp for a customer which (apparently) formed the basis of the Cameron CCV. The customer being techie, pulled the amp apart, took lots of photos, traced the circuit, made a schematic and uploaded it for a msg board for all to look at.

'Apparently' (by this folklore) it sometime in the future arrived on Nik's screen and he wisely used the knowledge and based the Chupa and Yeti on it.

Regardless of origin (questionable characters etc), they are kick arse amps and the clipper circuit works great.

The tones I personal go for are classic ACDC style sounds when cranked up, 80's hard rock (GnR, Maiden etc) and Sykes era metal. I also use a setting with the gain knobs about half way up with lots of res and presence that gives me a great, chunky brootz tone for more modern metal. This particular sound is a hard act to top IMHO (Dual Recto and 5150 are long gone).

QRSS and Darkburst like this.
  6. OiRogers

OiRogers Member

I have an OTS 20 lunchbox I ordered though them. Great build quality for the price and amazing tones in that box.
    I honestly (hindsight being 20/20 and such) wish I had sprung for the 100w version over the lunchbox.

I can see myself upgrading to the 100w version in the next year or two.... have the v2 Fryette Powerstation on pre-order, we'll see if it can fatten the 20w up at all. If not, I'll be headed for a 100w Ceriatone OTS.

7. CA$H FLOW

CA$H FLOW Member

Really ? I was under the impression that the 20 watt version was still nice and fat due to the beefy transformers.

8. Coldcorner

Coldcorner Supporting Member

JM50 1x12 combo owner here. Supposed to emulate the John Mayer Two Rock Signature. Best amp I've ever played/owned.

9. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

I've owned 4 Ceriatones, all built by Nik and crew, and all really well built, toneful amps, that will hang with the expensive US boutiques.
    Still have a JCM 800 clone that is a fantastic amp and to my ears has shamed amps costing 3x as much. I have 3 original 2203's and the Ceriatone version is 95% as good.

True story.
    I was once selling a Mesa LSS(cost me $3200 AU) and a potential buyer was putting it through it's paces. Pretty sure i had a buyer, but then he asked to try my Ceriatone 2061(cost me $850AU including shipping). Well he played one chord and said " f##k the Mesa, I want the 'Marshall' "

10. FFTT

FFTT Member

I think Ceriatone delivers quality that is putting modern Marshall & Fender to shame.

Glass Onion, stormtrooper and dsmc80 like this.
  11. TremoJem

TremoJem Member

Hey, I just got my Ceriatone Super Lead 100W 1968 on Monday of this week.

Same as above...Nik is great and the amp is solid.

There was a small problem with the order and some confusion on there part...but Nik squashed that with his great customer service.

In the end, they corrected the problem and all is good.

Mad respect for Nik...

Darkburst and Washburnmemphis like this.
  12. OiRogers

OiRogers Member

The tone is great on the lunchbox, but it's lacking the oomph that a 100w amp would provide to my ears... I usually play a 100w Marshall through a 4x12 at home. My smallest amp that I used regularly prior to the OTS Mini was a blackface Bassman. I guess that I am partial to higher wattage amps in general.

sonic carpenter likes this.
  13. PGrant

PGrant Member

I have a JTM45. It's awesome. It's built like a tank.

14. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

My HeyWhat!? 504 that I built has been my number one for eight years strong. Components are great, full instructions and visuals supplied, and very easy to communicate with.

Nik has a huge knowledge base and can help with anything.

15. buzzp

buzzp Member

Have yet to order, but I've played through a Ceriatone Matchless Dizzy 30, and it was phenomenal. Going to get something from him at some point, he's a great guy to communicate with.

16. supersede9

supersede9 Member

I originally purchased a used OTS 50, which I thought sounded great, but more than I needed for a lot of small gigs. Later I ordered a lunchbox, which I like for a lot for small gigs. I built a custom combo cabinet with a 1x12, as I wanted it light and convenient. I think it sounds amazing, I'm still tweaking it. At low volume (small clubs), I find it easier to adjust the gain/volume ect. on the lunchbox to get it just right. The OTS 50 is great for bigger venues or outdoors, but I was only running the master on around 2 in smaller places and it was tough to get it at exactly the correct volume that I needed. Nik is an amazing guy to deal with, advice, ordering and service. I have a Fuchs ODS30, which is a great amp, but I like the Ceriatone OTS a little better, it has a little more attack, obviously very similar amps. I also have Vox AC30, Fender Blues Junior and Hughes and Kettner, but none as versatile for me as the Dumble style amps.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  17. Stev0Griffin

Stev0Griffin Trendsetter

I owned the Ceriatone 2555 (Silver Jubilee model) and I loved it. Heavy duty construction. I mean, even the switches and knobs were substantial. Very tight, clean work.

Sounded amazing, as well. Ended up selling it because it was more amp than I needed.

sonic carpenter likes this.
  18. jhuse

jhuse Member

I have had an HRM Bluesmaster 50 for 4 or 5 years. Simply the best amp I've ever played. If I were in the market for another amp, I would absolutely consider Ceriatone.

Rod and kwd1987 like this.
  19. Red House

Red House Silver Supporting Member

I've always wondered what does that amp sound like? Is it like a Blackface, or like a Marshall, or...?

20. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

I've posted in a few threads asking about a Ceriatone 1987 '69 specs & a PPIMV but have never gotten a response. But from the general consensus in this thread it seems like I couldn't go wrong.

What transformers does he use for the Marshall builds? I've not read anything particularly good or bad about them.