Let's talk chop....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vicenzajay, Feb 18, 2012.

1. vicenzajay

vicenzajay Member

Hey all,

I'm no stranger to tremolo...and I'm very (read: too) familiar with delays - what I'm looking for is how to create rhythmic "chop" that isn't a delay or, strictly, a tremolo either. Something tappable...i.e that can be synch'd easily to a given song's tempo on the fly...that allows that "see saw" or galloping rhythm so prevalent on quite a few tunes over the past few years. I'm definitely not looking for repeats or delay - I have those bases covered in spades - the sound I'm looking for is more of a sustained "in and out" sound in time with the music that flows with the beat (vice pulses).

I'm probably not describing this well enough to really start a thread - but I figured I'd give it a shot....:-\

2. Kelfecil

Kelfecil Member

Check out the twin pedal from boss SL-20.

It slices your sound into rythmic pattern and adds some modulation/stuff/thingy to it...don't know exactly...just something wierd.

BUT you can have your dry signal turned into sliced patterns without that wierd thingy. There are knobs for you to dial in really cool stuff,stuff like attack and other thingies.

I'm planning to buy it too in the near future (mostly for the 3D stereo image it creates) but it's a really cool gimmick to have on your pedalboard IMO.

hope this helped. :)

3. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

There ate tremolo pedals that can set for an on-off sound rather than the softer fade in and out sound one normally associates with tremolo. I believe some have tap tempo. Unfortunately I can't remember names at the moment. Would something like that work?

4. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

The diamond has different wave patterns on it and tap. Just run that into a phase or univibe and delay and you'll have a trippy mod/trem thing going on.

5. dave12

dave12 No commericals! No mercy!

Roger Linn Adrenalinn sounds exactly like what you're describing. Beat-synced effects is what it's all about.

Here's an example of it's use in actual songs:

http://youtu.be/OfBDmw2H2Hw

6. feralchild

feralchild Member

Check out lightfoot labs' Goatkeeper. It can take sync (via CV). It has multiple chop patterns and allows "user-drawn patterns" as well. All analog signal path! (I want one).

Also, the Eventide Pitchfactor's HARPEGGIATOR algorithm is capable of doing a lot of what you're talking about, I think. If you turn off the arpeggiation and just use the A/B grooves and glitch filters. It slices and dices. Can be easily MIDI sync'd. Lots of complex patterns can be created, and the exp pedal can be assigned to anything you want. I was actually screwing around with this yesterday. But buying a Pitchfactor just for the chop effects might be overkill.

7. chillytc

chillytc Member

Dude - those were the exact two I was gonna suggest, FWIW, I am using the pitchfactor and none of the 10 or so presets I keep at the ready is really a classic pitch effect - it's a pretty versatile box if you are looking for off the wall sounds. It has ended my quest for a pedal to help me get some electronica like fx in my pedalboard.

8. vicenzajay

vicenzajay Member

All good stuff - I've got some homework ahead for me. For what it's worth, here's an example of what I'm looking to do at a quick tap's notice:

edit: link is broken - oh well

Not the filter stuff - I know how to get that - it's the galloping "chop" for the main riff that is synch'd with the overall tempo in a see-saw type motion.

Appreciate all the responses....

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  9. vicenzajay

vicenzajay Member

How about the Deluxe Prometheus? I know it's primarily a filter, but I own an original prometheus and it has possibilities...just a DEUCE to try to match tempo's as it lacks tap tempo.