1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lets talk Delay/Reverb

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lonely Raven, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

Long story short, I've been avoiding pedals for years. I had a huge hair metal rack, then collected vintage pedals, and for the past few years I've just been cable into amp, though I have kept my small collection of Red Witch pedals.

I have a Peters Dual Channel, Magnatone 260, a couple Champ clones I built, and a Trainwreck style amp I built. None of those amps have any sort of reverb, and I used to *love* playing with really advanced delays.

I'm sure delay/reverb technology has come a *long* way since my rack days. So I'm wondering, what's *the* delay/reverb to have that can do analog*ish sounds, but still be able to be dialed in for way out there spacy sounds and crazy delay tricks?

I'd prefer pedal form, but if it knocks my socks off, it doesn't matter how it's delivered...I'd just like to play with that kind of FX again! :D

Suggestions?

2. Birddog

Birddog Member

My answer to your question is the surprisingly inexpensive DE-7 from Ibanez. I run two of them. They have an excellent "echo" setting with darker and darker repeats that sound very analog-ish, or you can switch it over to "delay" and it's your normal, bright delay. I use one for each setting. No tone coloration (on the delay setting), built well, small footprint....umm. They're good.

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I have (and used for a long time) a DE-7, and others, but I think Raven might be looking more for like a Nova Delay.

See my other response in the Nova Delay thread, I point out a lot of the features I found excellent on it. It has the first "useable" reverse delay I have ever heard...really excellent, presets...check out the thread! http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=348052

Meanwhile, I am seriously considering the Nova Reverb, but have been trying to find out if the horrendous clips on their site are NOT representative of the pedal. I can't believe they have such bad sounds out on their website, but the Nova Delay clips though not as bad, were no where near as wonderful sounding as the actual pedal is.

4. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

5. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

I'm not familiar with the Nova Delay. Sounds like it's got some issues that need to be worked out though.

That does sound like the kind of box I'm looking for info on! Good start!

6. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

It does sound interesting, but can it get really wacked out delay sounds, or is it just a cool clean delay with some high end DA/AD converters?

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Actually for "whacked out" delay sounds, I'd ammend my earlier to mention the Diamond Memory Lane.

I had problems because it was too whacked out for me. It can runaway easily, has incredible modulation sounds on the delay, you can order it with different configurations (find the site, you'll see...) for expression pedals, etc.

I tend to underuse delays, but realized from your followups, this is definitely a contender for you and what you want. When I sold mine (actually traded for another) the guy tried it out and immidately was getting really amazing things out of it that I hadn't touched on the whole couple weeks I had it.

I don't think you will find better for that. It is pretty expensive though.

one other thing...I may be remembering this wrong, but I THINK you have even a effects send return on it (or can get one) so you could conceivably add some envelop follower or whatever pedal to the delayed sound.

8. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

What about the new dunlop carbon copy. It sounds like it should be out in a month or so. I think iam going to try it. At 150.00 the price is right. If i like it i might just get two. One short one long. Another one that i have is the verbzilla, i was amazed at how good it sounded, and not alot of gin.:)

9. theHoss

theHoss Member

If you are thinking about the Memory Lane, make sure to check out the new Memory Lane II. Also, I haven't tried it, but the Eventide Timefactor delay seems like it can do anything.

10. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

For wacked out delay, see if you can find a Roland space echo. I have the RE-201, which has reverb too. Not high on the convenience scale, but things don't get more wack than this.

For tape warmth and drive in a pedal, H&K Replex. I love this thing. It's digital but you'd never know it from the sound. In terms of tape vibe, goes more to the echoplex rather than space echo (multiple head) side.

For best, cheapest delay, 80s Ibanez DL-10 gets my vote. Digital too, another one that doesn't sound that way. No wack here, but great sound.

11. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

+1 on the H&K Replex. It's anything but neutral sounding, but in the best way possible - adds a really sweet warmth. Some find the reverb to be a bit odd, but to me it sounds like they were going for an old tank reverb which was achieved by putting a speaker and microphone in a water tank (before Guitar Center reverbs were purchased at the farm supply store!). Instead of a lush reverb it's really echo'y. Both the Single and Dual head reverbs are excellent.