• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Let's Talk...Guitar Stools!

chrisjnyc

Silver Supporting Member
I bought a few stools, but in the end using an office style chair, with the arms way down. Just less fatigue on your legs if you are playing for a few hours.

A few notes:
A traditional stool doesn't have a way to adjust the height, can be a pain to play without a strap
A drum stool is comfortable, but the motorcycle style seat causes your legs to support your body the whole time and can be uncomfortable after a while
Using a sit\stand type stool is great for standing and having some support, but doesn't go as a low as a typical stool and again can be uncomfortable on your legs

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
Probably more than you want to spend but I have one of those glider rockers from Musician's Friend.

Very comfortable. Had it for probably 15 years or more. Used to teach a couple of nights per week out of my house using it.

Alse1829

I have been through a few options: computer chair with foldable arms, loveseat, barstool, and so on. I eventually took the plunge and ordered an adjustable height SoundSeat with foot ring and casters. That’s the winner! Very comfortable with the back rest and great positioning with the foot ring. I highly recommend checking that option out.

TonePilot

Silver Supporting Member
Just don't get the cheap "Fender" "Charvel" or "Gibson" etc. branded stools. The top seam comes undone, and then the foam starts pushing out. POS.
No danger there, they are not very attractive. Better off with a mechanic's stool that will last forever.

Tone Deaf

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
Why I frequent TGP - because I learn something new all the time. I never have heard of Soundseat until this thread. Or, the Glide Rocker from Musician's Friend.

I've been using a fender guitar stool for years, but you do get numb-ass if you sit there for too long LOL. The Soundseat looks like it could serve two purposes, my work from home chair, and my guitar seat - since I do both in the same room...seems like a winner.

I wonder if the arms are removable on the Soundseat. I'll have to ask them.

TonePilot

Silver Supporting Member
Picked up the Quiklok, I like it. Takes up more room than a normal chair as the backrest pole comes back quite far at the top. It’s comfy and the quick flip footrest is awesome. A little tilty when leaning forward so just watch that. Good investment too considering I got it on sale.

VintagePlayerStrat

Silver Supporting Member
Nice. What’s the brand or where’s it from?
Shoot. I'm useless. I bought it at a furniture shop in Palm Springs and it has no brand name. :(. Despite the fancy smanshies, it was like 150 bucks.

The way I found it though is mostly the deal. I actually shopped for it. I sat in chairs with no arms, fairly low to the ground, until I found something I knew I could play in for hours. I also wanted a slightly tilted back so I could leave my guitar in the chair when I walked away.

Last edited:

Blue Bee

The thing holding me back on the Soundseat is I don’t think I would like the shape of it. The nut hugger motorcycle style seat doesn’t work for me. I had a very nice Roc Soc drum throne with that style seat and it was just not comfortable for me.

Valves-R-Us

Spotted Guitar Center sells stools around $70 that came in 24"& 30". They use them in their stores. I ordered the 24" as 5'11". The stool is nice with a bearing swivel and deluxe, thick cushion. But... the lower hoop is 10" from the floor. When I put up my leg hooking my heel on the hoop, the guitar is up in my chest. Great. Maybe I just thought the lower ring was for a dandy foot rest?

Seeing guys on YouTube wearing straps and slinging their guitar off to the side when perched on similar stools. Maybe that's the idea? I have to use a 4" high box or platform under my foot to get the proper rise. Thinking the 30" might have been a better option, I tested that height to find my leg would be at too much of an angle downward. Nope.

Seeing other stools in this thread with the rest much lower or an adjustable height. Pretty sure adjustable may be the best choice without trying these buggers first? Lower rings are structural and cosmetic but are not designed for a foot rest or they would have adjustable positions.

Last edited:

Trending Topics