Let's Talk Noiseless Strat Pickups Shall We

phsyconoodler

I have two strats: an 2010 standard with fat 50,s and a New Jeff Beck with noiseless.
I find the fat 50's to be sweet as hell medium output.
The noiseless in the Beck are less output and much brighter and very'very articulate.I like both very much.
I tried Dimarzios in my standard and they were ok at best. not anywhere near as nice a tone as the fat 50's.
The noiseless in the JB are dead quiet and ooze tone out of every pore.Both pickups kill the Virtual Dimarzio's

o0Ampy0o

Have not had a chance to play noiseless Strat pickups.

For a Strat the Ilitch back plate device is worth considering.

I have a G&L S-500 with the MFD's that are not noiseless but they are Stratty enough and much quieter than Alnicos.

TGP member Football did a demo of the Zexcoils that sounded amazing and the guy who has a SRV lesson website (was going by stevie snacks) uses them now if you pull up his more recent videos.

I like this guy's demo of the back plate silencer thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6yRbAYiNf0

Stevie Snacks guy
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...YoSfbELjlkN2kklZmCXC0Mw&bvm=bv.91665533,d.eXY

Football (Brian Alex)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QeoaMZJP7k&index=9&list=PLCE1F1E953C82ED79

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Nynjj1wUE&list=PLCE1F1E953C82ED79&index=13

Last edited:

Rob Eadgbe

My current favorite is the Injector, with the VV heavy blues second. I really like what DiMarzio has done with their noiseless singles. Unfortunately I have no experience with Kinmans which I understand are even better than the DiMarzios.

If I was to rate the single coil noiseless pickups I've had it would be:

DiMarzio Injector
DiMarzio VV Heavy Blues
DiMarzio VV Solo
DiMarzio Hot Tele Bridge
DiMarzio VV Blues
DiMarzio VV 2
Seymour Duncan STK-1
GFS True Coil TC-100
Lace Sensors Vintage Golds
GFS Neovin NAL-9

Honourable mention because it's not really a noiseless single coil, more of a single coil sized humbucker is the GFS Little Killer 10k.

The Neovins were pretty much a total disappointment for me and along with the Lace Golds are the only ones mentioned that aren't currently mounted on one of my Tele, Strats or Superstrats.

o0Ampy0o

Low action, 10s, and med light technique.
:) I originally misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you had meant that Zexcoils mainly produced an Eric Johnson sound so I put up a couple of un-Eric Johnson style examples. But I think you wanted to know if there was an example of someone getting an Eric Johnson sound out of them. So, my original response applied anyway. I think generally all you have to do is get in the ballpark with the gear and the player does the rest. Zexcoils, for instance, sound Stratty enough for the job.

Bikedude

Gold Supporting Member
I have a set of SCNs in my American Deluxe...best strat pups I've ever played.
I have these also, and I've tired of them. The Lace Golds in my 97 Strat Plus sound better. I've been looking at the Zexcoils, of non-noiseless Kleins to replace my SCN's.

I love the Lace Hot Golds in my strat. Not totally noiseless, but some classic tones In there. They like to be really close to the strings though.

GGinMP

Silver Supporting Member
I've been thinking about the Ilitch coil for my G&L Legacy for a few years and I'm finally ready to pull the trigger. Then my local shop suggested the Seymour Duncan Classic Stack Plus (STK-S4). I love the Duncan SSL-2's in my G&L, and now I'm on the fence about which way to go. Since the SSL-2's are original to the guitar (a 1992), I'm leaning towards keeping them and adding the Ilitch vs. swapping pickups, but cost is close to a wash.

I should mention (although it should go without saying) that I want to keep the bell-like, single coil tone as much as possible.

handtrix

:Devil "Authentic Strat Pickup" Cork Sniffer Alert. :D Please no noiseless pickup hater comments.

Fender has a dizzying array of noiseless pickups which have evolved over the years. I currently have two Strat Deluxes and looking to mod the sss version. I like the N3's, but already have them in my hss strat that I'm happy with - atomic humbucker and N3's - love it! My other strat I would like to convert to something a little different. I'm totally into Ritchie Blackmore who I guess used hot Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders which are not noiseless. Is there something comparable to these in noiseless - perhaps the Fender Vintage Noiseless Jeff Beck pickups or the hot Kinmans? The N3's aren't cutting it for Ritchie tone. What do you guys recommend for getting into Blackmore territory via the noiseless route?:JAM
What are these?

walterw

Gold Supporting Member
I've been thinking about the Ilitch coil for my G&L Legacy for a few years and I'm finally ready to pull the trigger. Then my local shop suggested the Seymour Duncan Classic Stack Plus (STK-S4). I love the Duncan SSL-2's in my G&L, and now I'm on the fence about which way to go. Since the SSL-2's are original to the guitar (a 1992), I'm leaning towards keeping them and adding the Ilitch vs. swapping pickups, but cost is close to a wash.

I should mention (although it should go without saying) that I want to keep the bell-like, single coil tone as much as possible.
then you definitely want the backplate, the duncan stacks don't even have what stratty bell-tone the dimarzio areas or kinmans do.

s2y

:) I originally misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you had meant that Zexcoils mainly produced an Eric Johnson sound so I put up a couple of un-Eric Johnson style examples. But I think you wanted to know if there was an example of someone getting an Eric Johnson sound out of them. So, my original response applied anyway. I think generally all you have to do is get in the ballpark with the gear and the player does the rest. Zexcoils, for instance, sound Stratty enough for the job.
I could do something like this. I have a "3" voicing, but I haven't done much with it in the Strat format. I use it in the Teles, though. The standard "2" voice, which I use a lot in the middle position might do it, although it's a bit rounder than the 3.
This was ScottB's (Zexcoil dude) response. I'm probably not ordering a Strat type guitar for a little while and was going to e-mail him at some point.

JPF

I've had a trio of EMG SAs in my strat for the last 21 years, and they're absolutely fantastic.

GGinMP

Silver Supporting Member
then you definitely want the backplate, the duncan stacks don't even have what stratty bell-tone the dimarzio areas or kinmans do.
Great to know, thanks! FYI, the Ilitch I was looking at is the Large Coil model, since the G&L Legacy has a "swimming pool" rout. I've heard that the Large Coil works the best of all the Ilitch models, but it's often avoided because some guitar bodies have to be routed out. I'm going to measure the swimming pool cavity so Ilitch can make sure the large coil will fit.

John Hurtt

Silver Supporting Member
Beck Strats do come with the "Hot" Noiseless, designed by the late great R&D man Bill Turner. They are not really all that "hot" in output and are really quite nice. They are kind of 80% "Strat" & 20% "humbucker" in tone & feel. Clapton Strats come stock with the Vintage Noiseless.
Bardens are my real favs, all "strat" but "bigger". They might do Blackmore type stuff. They are bright but that can be dialed back. The Quarter Pounders will sound more humbuckerish than "strat", which is fine if that is what you want. DiMarzio makes a whole line of double rail hum free single coils sized pickups that run the gamut from "stratty" (Cruiser) up through higher output humbucker sounds (Air Norton S & Super Distortion S)
Bill Turner is quite a talented pickup designer, doesn't nearly get the props he deserves. Though, I thought that John Suhr wrote one time that the Hot Noiseless were actually his design.

Someone know?

Trending Topics