Let's talk Octave Fuzz pedals.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rosslevans, Apr 27, 2016.

1. rosslevans

rosslevans Member

I'm in the market for one, but there are a ton of great options out there. However, not all of them are available to try out before buying. Could use some help on this one folks. I tend to play Strats through Fender amps with a fairly clean tone. Let me know what you have bought/played and what your experience was.

Thanks!

2. coolhand78

coolhand78 Member

I always really liked my old roger mayer octavia (autograph rocketship one) I stupidly sold it a few years back for nothing!!!
    but i'm really gassing for a chicago iron or the new castledine olympic one...

71strat likes this.
  3. rosslevans

rosslevans Member

Chicago Iron is on the shortlist.

tozum and Blanket Jackson like this.
  4. BootRoots

BootRoots Supporting Member

I have used my VL proctavia for years and it's great. It's not an effect I use much so it's hard for me to justify spending big coin on something like Chicago iron etc. i think it sounds best with my strats and teles on the neck pickup and like you I'm using mostly clean fender amps. Can't beat the price and I've had really good luck with all my VL pedals over the years.

hamerman55 likes this.
  5. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Member

Have had a Proctavia for the longest time as well. Didn't find much use for it at blues-rock jams as the resulting tone is over the top. Best used sparingly. Not often that we play Band of Gypsys stuff, or KWS ("Blue on Black") or Chris Duarte which call for this effect.

The effect is limited to the neck pickup (strat) and specific areas of the fingerboard, so that limits its use even more.

May be better if you get a model which lets you switch off the octave side, and get more mileage out of the fuzz side.

Morgancograve likes this.
  6. mr_cheef

mr_cheef Member

Henretta Octopus is great, I've been using it for a while, no complaints :)

edgie, Steven, Multicellular and 2 others like this.
  7. jawajt

jawajt Member

I'm loving the MXR Sub Machine. It's very versatile, relatively cheap, and easy to find. I'm not sure if you're looking for an UP octave or SUB octave, but the MXR does both. You can also have the UP octave off and dial out the Sub octave, if you want as well.
    For an UP octave fuzz, I also really love the Catalinbread Octapu$$y. It stacks great with my ODs.

Curban likes this.
  8. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

I like my HBE UFO fuzz, vintage/modern switch, switchable octave, and the octave up is usable over the whole neck
    For down octave I like my Boss OC2 (clean synthesized), Guyatone MO3 (square wave synthesised) and Mooer Tender Octaver (Pog style)
    They're all budget boxes but sound great

9. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

an underrated option is the Fulltone Ultimate Octave... also the Foxrox options are beloved by many..

10. kor

kor Member

Blackout Effectors Crystal Dagger is great, although a bit wild. EQD Fuzz Master General is excellent.

We'llDoItLive likes this.
  11. kboman

kboman Member

smallsound/bigsound Buzzz. Bonus: is also an amazingly good non-octave fuzz!

korpret1 likes this.
  12. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

I have the MXR Slash Octave Fuzz, which is pretty similar to the Sub Machine. I like it a lot. I definitely wanted something that could add octave UP and octave Down, which the MXR does. I use the sub octave more, and it really adds fatness and fullness. It's got a ton of great tones once you get acquainted with the knobs and what they do. For the price, the MXR is hard to beat. And it's definitely not a one-trick-pony like some Fuzz Octave pedals are. A very useful and well designed pedal.

Permafrost likes this.
  13. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

I used the VL for years and never really liked it, very shrill and only sounded good on neck pickup with tone rolled off and playing above the 10th fret, which I guess is how the original was. I was looking for something less restricting so I landed on the HBE UFO and haven't felt the need to try anything else. As stated above, the octave sounds good anywhere on the neck and even on the bridge pickup. Bonus is the octave is switchable and the fuzz is awesome on its own.

Another one I really like is the Cbread Magus II, I use it my other board.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    boldaslove1977, Squatch57 and lavinci like this.
  14. mulekicker

mulekicker Member

I've been having a love affair with the EQD HoofReaper for a couple of years now.

Jim Marciano likes this.
  15. tubekingsley

tubekingsley Member

Chicago Iron
    Chase Tone blue or purple- blue are $190 new
    Lovepedal Believe- not a fuzz pedal, must be run into OD or fuzz
    Dunlop Octavio HW cheese wedge enclosure

I use Chase Tone Purple, and it is super good. Stacks well with everything, and has big range of sounds. All the pedals I listed are great, I think all things considered, I'd go Chase Tone Blue, he no longer builds the purple, as far as I know...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    El Phaco likes this.
  16. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

I've been using the Fulltone Octafuzz for a long time and am using the Dunlop Octavio now, which sometimes can be had for around 80 bucks.

abnerfm likes this.
  17. lavinci

lavinci Member

FOXROX - any love

18. WillLane

WillLane Member

I don't really like fuzz at all (although I appreciate it) but I think I had good luck with the EHX Octavix.

19. HiddenAgenda

HiddenAgenda Member

:aokLike:aok the Wren and Cuff Acetone FM 2 Octave Fuzz, but demo's and the pedal in general seems sort of rare right now.

20. abnerfm

abnerfm Member