Let's talk pedal power!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by omfg51, May 9, 2015.

1. omfg51

omfg51 Member

I'm starting a new board soon, and I'd like to know what you guys are using to power your boards/pedals. I've been looking at the Voodoo Labs ISO5, but I feel the jump the Pedal Power 2 may be necessary.

I've also investigated the 4x4, but I don't think I'll ever need those higher current channels, so the price is not justifiable for me.

I'm also completely open to any other brand suggestions, so please, throw them at me!

2. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

I've got two VooDoo Labs PP2+ and an ISO5 under one board and a PP2+ and a 4x4 under another. Always go bigger because you'll wish you would have. The AC power outlet on the PP2+'s are very handy in powering other things........other supplies or a wall wart.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  3. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

I've not used any other brand than VL. Rock solid and great customer service in answering questions. Highly recommend. The pp2+ is the most versatile and you get s courtesy AC outlet.

4. sleewell

sleewell Member

5. Jupiter Tarts

Jupiter Tarts Member

How big is your pedalboard? I'd get as big a power supply for as many pedals as your board can fit.

I have a pedaltrain jr. that originally had 3 pedals on it and a cheap Morley Gas station with 600mah power tops. Now I run 8 pedals, one of which needs two slots to run an 18v, so I got a Voodoo 4x4 with 9 out of out of 10 slots used. You may not need it now, but if your board can fit it, you may need it eventually.

6. LeftyLoosey

LeftyLoosey Member

I had the same question regarding powering my board. I only use 5 pedals which are: Jim Dunlop Original Crybaby>EHX Soulfood>Mad Professor 1>VisualSound Tap Delay>TC Electronics Trinity; all mounted on a Pedaltrain PtMini. I was looking at the Voodoo Labs Iso5 which I thought was a good choice for my power needs. All I need now is the money haha!

7. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

Be careful running a 4x4 with the 9v-12v combined outputs used together(their not isolated from each other)......some digital pedals can add noise and or hum to your signal used together.......better to use the 9v OR the 12v but not combined.

8. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

I'm on a PT-Pro running a PP2+, a PP Digital, and just added a PP ISO5. Yeah, I have problems.

9. popvulture

popvulture Member

I have a PP2+ and an ISO5 powering my board. It's ended up being perfect for me... I have a couple slots left over at the moment, so it's nice to have the room to grow if i want.

I'm also thinking about building a mini board with maybe 5 pedals tops (including a tuner). I think an ISO5 would be great for something like that, aside from my one gripe with that model: I wish the 18V outlet could be switched back to 9V, because frankly I just don't use really any 18V pedals (I know some people do, but hey, would be good to have the option).

10. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

Same thing goes for using the 9v and 12v high current outlet that are combined on the ISO5 as for as noise goes.......it can happen with some pedals. A lot of pedals now a days CAN handle 18v........Catalinbread, Fulltone etc...

11. jwny72

jwny72 Member

I have a Pedal Power 2 + and a 4 x 4. I need them both.

12. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

If you wish to get more helpful answers than "here's what's on my board", then you might mention your current pedal lineup, and how you see it (potentially) changing in the next 2-3 years.

That said: NINE VOLT BATTS RULE...ELON MUSK WILL SUPPLY ALL YER NEEDZ !!!1!1!!1

13. Jimmy3Fingers

Jimmy3Fingers Member

T-Rex Fuel Tank Chameleon here...

14. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

I'm using the PP2+ as well. It's great, though I wish it had more options for 18v. But it's 6 years old and that's how they came.

Just an FYI to you guys who may not know... You're not limited to the amount of taps available. Figure out the current draw of your pedals. You can daisy chain multiple pedals off each tap as long as you don't exceed the current available. It will be cheaper than buying another unit.

15. jordane93

jordane93 Member

I use 2 Fuel Tank Jrs. and an ISO-5. It would help to know which pedals you are trying to power in order to give you suggestions.

16. pine

pine Silver Supporting Member

I'm using a 4X4 because I have two Strymons on my board

17. Digidog

Digidog Member

I use the Voodoo Labs "Mondo" for my PT2 and I currently power twelve pedals from it. The high current outlets are for my Strymon and my Distortion +.