Let's talk Pitch Shifters! EH PitchFork, DT Droptune, Boss PS6, etc...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Resonance7, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Resonance7

Resonance7 Member

Hey All…

So I've got the Mooer Pitchbox and I love the effect, although the Mooer doesn't always track so well.

To those who have tried multiple shifters…which was your favorite? Most accurate tracker? Most usable features?

The new ElectroHarmonix Pitchfork seems to maybe have the most (cool, new, usable) features (Other than the big Eventide). Perhaps the DT Whammy has the more accurate tracking. Idk, shooting in the dark here…

Share your experiences!

2. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

I thought the dt and ehx had the best tracking. Pitchfork is a few milliseconds (compare to being a few meters from your amp) and very accurate. I had to have the pitchfork for the expression capability.

3. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

The pitchfork is a SWEET pedal, but when it comes to actually being on the money with drop tuning, the Digitech Drop is the BEST I've tried. It's just got the processing power needed to keep up.

BUT - it is VERY limited when compared to the PF.....the pitchfork's biggest advantage in my eyes is it's latch feature, which I LOVE...being able to give me a Whammy'esque sound, and really let's me play metal/hard rock with some SICK hooks...

That's my experience (I own a pitchfork, and I have played a Drop in store for an hour or so)

4. rck

rck Supporting Member

I own/owned the H9 (pitchfactor), Whammy V and MAK Octronix.

demoed: Earthquaker Devices Pitch Bay and TRex Quint.

first the pitchfactor is not polyphonic.

The Octronix tracked great and has a blend knob for the Upper and Lower Octaves, but had a touch more latency that the Whammy V. It has a fantastic Shimmer option though and is def unique among poly pitch effects, but is not the easiest to find on the market.

The Whammy V is my pick and shares the same algos as the Whammy DT, the Whammy DT has additional algos obviously and offers more than the V. I did try the Digitech Drop for tuning down a half step and def heard the blanket over your tone sound (and returned it), but there are a substantial amount of users who don't think it is that bad in that regard.

I would've liked more time with the Pitch Bay, b/c I only had a few minutes with it in a loud environment, as I couldn't tell how well the tracking/latency was and if it did straight up octave up/down sounds without additional artifacts.

The Quint is quite possibly one of the worst sounding pedals I've ever tried period... terrible on both the latency and tracking.

never tried the EHX offerings: Pitchfork, Micro Pog, Hog, etc...

5. Lullabies

Lullabies Member

for me I have had the Morpheus droptune, boss pitch shifter and now a Whammy V. The Whammy V is really good at going down full step, 2 full steps and baritone. Tracks really good but does lose a little high end but that's the nature of pitch shifters. Love the Whammy V and Micro POG, micro pog is definitely the best octaver I have tried as well.

6. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

The Whammy 5 is one of the best I have used... sold it, and now I want it back :(

Also, the pitchfork is super cool for the price and size.

7. Oldschool59

Oldschool59 Member

I have the Eventide Pitchfactor. The features of this unit are out of this world. It actually goes way beyond the pitchshifter niche. All 10 algorithms are not created equal, and I am quite partial to the Pitchflex, Octaver, HarPeggiator, HarModulator and Crystals algos. With an expression pedal and added switches, IMO, it is the ultimate pitch machine. Indeed, some algorithms do not react ideally to polyphonic inputs, but I have never found this to be a hindrance. Tracking is spot on. The main problem with this unit is the time you will WASTE exploring and creating new stuff, instead of practicing.

8. KoskineN

KoskineN Supporting Member

The Drop is perfect for downtuning. Yes it is limited, but it's great for what it does. It's great for bass line in the full octave down mode. The PS-6 tracking is ******. It's ok for the low octaves stuff(think OC-2 but digital sounding), but it's not good for the higher octaves. The glitches are more audible and also kinda annoying, especially with sustaining notes.
    I prefer my MicroPog for this.

9. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

I really want to put my hands on a PF but the issue with polyphonic tracking is a shame.

aman74 likes this.
  10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Seconding the fact that the H9 algos are not polyphonic. It introduces some cool glitching but it's not useful for true organ tones or key changes.

The DT drop tracks perfectly. I tried it at NAMM where there was lots of background noise, so I can't speak to tonal degradation but it lacks nothing in pushing a chord down or up 4 or 5 semitones without artifacts. I'd guess the Whammy is the same with more stuff.

Since EHX has programmers that are just as good as DT, I'd also expect the Pitchfork to be very good.

11. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

I can't disagree more, obviously your experience differs from mine, but I've had mine for over 5 years and I use it a lot, nothing about it sounds artificial, it does the organ thing better than any other octaver out there, and I felt it did octaves better than the whammy 4. The extra features are what make this pedal great, the low pass filter is very powerful, and if you sweep that control while letting a chord ring out, it is massive sounding. The swell is also a very appreciated feature too, and I have gotten some very convincing bass guitar sounds out of it when the low pass filter was adjusted properly. It has been a staple on my board for awhile, and I have no plans of getting rid of it. Wouldn't mind the pitchfork either, though I think I'd mainly use it for drop tunings, but have to demo it yet to see if its any good at it, the expression out is definitely a great option that the drop does not have, could definitely see using it, especially if you got a spare expression pedal lying around doing nothing.