Let's talk some more about our Palominos!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rickfox, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Rickfox

Rickfox Member

Hey All!! I finally got it down! (for now) The best OD sound yet!(V32H)
    Put JJ's in power section and Mullards in the pre's. I tried dozens
    of combinations with RFT's, Bugle Boys, RCAs, and other US tubes, even
    some old Japanese 12AX7's. EQ: all @ noon and Pres ON no, mid boost. The best part is
    that hum on the OD side is really much quieter with the Mullards as well.
    At the front, I'm using an LP Classic stock pups. Great sustain, pinch harmonics, and it cleans up with just a little hair as you bring down the vol pot. I don't miss my Marshalls! (and the weight) What's up with yours?
    Rick
    P.S. The line in and out efx loop works just fine as well.

2. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Stock it rocks! Love the clean to crunch Ch. 1 (all with your fingers if set above 5 or so), then BOOST, then Ch.2. Then BOOST on Ch. 2. The footswitch is really good, and that 4-way flexibility is exceptional and one of the least discussed bonanzas of the amp. Who needs pedals?

3. Axeplyr

Axeplyr Supporting Member

Man, I love mine!!! :D

[​IMG]

4. Fretts

Fretts Member

Well, my 32 is too loud by today's standards. I pulled two EL84s and put a 16ohm Celestion in there. Net result is I have a way overbuilt 15 watter that isn't too loud anymore. Its way too heavy, but hey, there's no free lunch.

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

How did you pull two tubes? Did you change the bias resistor? Seeing as it has a single bias resistor for a 4 tubes I would imagine the remaining 2 tubes would be overloaded without a resistor change.

As for mine I still love it. Wish it had an impedance selector though! It limits my speaker choices from my stockpile. Need a new set of JJ power tubes since one blew and Im using Sovteks at the moment. Also I want to get a Celestion G12K-100 for it since it sounds so good thru my 2x12 loaded with them! Bob

6. Hangfire

Hangfire Member

Best bang for the buck, I love my Palomino!

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

8. InGodWeTrust

InGodWeTrust Member

Right now in mine I have a GE 5751 in V1, A Valvo 12ax7 in V2, And a Mullard 12at7 in V3....all NOS . It screams with this combo and my PRS CU22.
    This amp also LOVES CL80's.. and the best 2x12 combo I have found by far is CL80 and a Red Fang...OMG this cover ALL the bases.

9. dr martini

dr martini Member

i run my v32 with an ernie volume in the effects loop before my delay so i can crank channel 1 without massive ear fatigue, i find the volume very usable between 10 and 3'o'clock. have tried a marshall 1936 2x12 but still not crazy about how any speakers sound with it, looking to pull some brightness off, also starting to get a bit too much rattling in there at high volumes after a two years of moderate gigging (35-45 shows a year and plenty of practice/tweaking time). time to retube anyways, i'll have to dig around for the culprit or just start resoldering connections that are currently just clips. still searching for the holy grail, but as most of us agree, incredible amp for the buck.

10. scott1568

scott1568 Member

If your doing 35-45 shows a year with it, I would say it's dependable despite the opinions of others regarding Crate products.

See, this thread kind of makes me mad, I was thinking of selling my USA made to fund some other stuff. Now I am beginning to think I will regret it.

11. matthead

matthead Member

Had to chime in on the Palomino. I was searching for a great single channel (and somewhat compact) class A to start using as my main gig combo since all of my effects are now on the floor. Of course, the boutiques were an option but when I started seeing positive reviews on the V32 I knew I had to at least try it - especially considering the price. I picked one up on CL last week for $350. Hands down, one of the best gear purchases I've ever made - price not a factor!! Every pedal I own sounds great into this thing. I am considering a tube and speaker swap based on what I've read here, but it sounds great "out of the box."

I'm also looking at either a Line 6 M13 OR TC Nova System to use as my only effects AND OD/Distortion. Big decision - and everything here and everywhere else is a 50/50 split between the two. Oh well...

12. Dave B

Dave B Exit... Dual Stage Left Silver Supporting Member

Is the V32 cathode biased, or does it need rebiased every time the EL84's are changed?

13. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Its cathode biased. Bob

14. Hangfire

Hangfire Member

I sold mine and was forced to buy another one, talk about seller's remorse...

If you want to see how durable these things are, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-z_qNNcVz8