1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk Steve Stevens...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by steve10358, Mar 11, 2006.

1. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

I am such a gear geek. I think we all are at times. I buy albums because of the gear on them. That usually turns me onto the player. Ever since my Marshall came back from Rack Systems, I've been going crazy buying Marshall albums. Black Light 2, VH Balance and now Billy Idol's Devil's Playground.

Ever since buying this album, I have been getting hooked on the sounds, mix, textures and tones...and the songs kick ass! Does anyone have any photo's of his CURRENT gear? Any interviews (other than last months GP)? I know he used a combo Rocca, a few plexi's, an AC30, 5150's and the OD100. That is all documented- but lets talk where and how he uses the stuff. I mean- listen to some of the solo's. So boxy and roomy. How the hell do you mic like that, and is it the combo? How much of the CD is the Plexi over 5150? Does he use a Variac? I'm guessing the OD is on track 9? I could go on and ask Q's forever... and I know this thread is a little wide in topic, so I apologize in advance. I just really want to know more about what went into making this album.

Thanks!
    S

2. MesieBooga

MesieBooga Member

3. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I loved his tone on 'Atomic Playboy's'. This cat is a MONSTER when he gets going. Billy Idol owes a huge debt to him for making his sound. I remember he was playing basically a Marshall with a few OD's in front...not descriptive, but I was a little...oiled.

Checking his site, looks like he's playing Roccaforte's these days (Doug can you comment?).

Clearly he's not shy about taking endorsement deals.

EP

4. KarlH

KarlH Supporting Member

I love those girls on his guitar collection montauge (sic?) on his website....
    i think 2 of them are the roccaforte girls on his website.
    great song on that, too (lotsa juicy octavia tones)

5. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

On the new Idol CD, he used a Rocca Custom 18 combo,
    and a 5150. He also has a custom built non master 100 I built
    for him. We're getting ready to work on another amp.
    I interviewed him for my mag, I'll be running it sometime
    this year, we covered all of his current gear.
    Doug

6. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

Thats actually one girl, she's real good at changing her looks.
    She's also on my site, Steve's girlfriend.

7. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

8. chobley

chobley Supporting Member

I think it is awesome that Steve himself replied to your thread on huge racks !!!! :dude :dude :dude

9. Navigator

Navigator Supporting Member

Bumping for the heck of it, since Steve Stevens absolutely rocks! I've recently rediscovered him myself, probably since I've been getting into the plexi vibe after getting my Aiken Invader; his '89 solo album "Atomic Playboys" has some of the best heavy plexi tones I've ever heard, and his playing on there is phenomenal (is there anyone who has more precise and athletic rhythm parts?!). That album is surprisingly still very listenable, and not as limited as its late 80s vintage might suggest. Rocking tunes, great guitar playing and great (Beau Hill) production, not to mention some of the most in the pocket drumming you'll just about ever hear, courtesy of Thommy Price. The most recent Billy Idol album is actually excellent as well, and for the most part rocks hard, with SS getting great tones all over it. I'd love to hear any more info about its recording, and the gear used myself. BTW, Stevens' recent solo album "Flamenco A Go Go" is great too, a hip (I think) mix of flamenco nylon string riffing over electronica landscapes. Yep, call me a fan.

10. reaiken

reaiken Member

I've always loved how textured his guitar tones were - especially on Rebel Yell, I could listen to that album all day long without getting bored. I love the Atomic Playboys CD, too - very inspiring stuff.

Randall Aiken

11. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

His tones on DEVILS PLAYGROUND were fantastic!!!!!!! I saw him live 2 years ago with Idol and it was great.

12. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Check out the demo he did for the Suhr Badger. Here's a link to the clip, as well as a link to the Suhr site.

13. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

I'm not a big SS per-se, but he is probably the first guitar player to really make me take notice when I was a kid. That HUGE black hairdo and patent leather outfits combined with Billy Idol's wild look really struck me. The vid for "Eyes Without a Face" kinda freaked me out then too. :D For the genre & era he was a lot less flashy playing-wise than his compatriots and definitely had his own sound which surprisingly sounds fresh today. One of my fave songs he's played on has to be Michael Jackson's "Dirty Diana".

Anyway, I posted this vid a little while back in a Godin thread, but here's a somewhat recent live vid of him with Billy doing a great version of "Flesh for Fantasy":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmgFA9MLwUo

...as an aside in re: "Flesh for Fantasy" there is a remix version of it floating around out there that I used to have on my old harddrive that is killer. It's more along the lines of the version in the above vid, but a better beat and a bit less guitar-oriented.

14. riker4208

riker4208 Member

Must be something in the air, because I've just got into Steve S. as well. We all listened to rebel yell and all that in the 80's, but it's like I'm hearing it all for the first time. He's as much an arranger/writer as he is a guitar player.....amazing. I love his use of effects, they never seem distasteful to me.

15. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

Wow!! 2 80's monsters covered this week (Bratta & Stevens)

Now THIS is COOL!!!

16. Chi

Chi Member

ONe of my old guitar teachers was a freind of his, I think they used to work together testing effects pedals somewhere (maybe electro harmonix?) I remember him saying they used to go looking for old plexi's together all the time. Steven's is a big Plexi collector from what I understand, and loves pedals...

17. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Steve Stevens rips! Classy rock guitar stylings - love "Rebel Yell" & the guy is super versatile (cleans, chords, riffs, solos, etc.). Props!

18. braz board

braz board Member

Steve Stevens really went all out on Atomic Playboys, great songs, playing and tone. Easily in my favorite top 10 musicians. I admire people willing to go out on a limb and think outside the corporate box.

19. 83stratman

83stratman Member

I REALLY like SS on the first Vince Neil solo record.

20. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

anyone a fan of the song "SADHANA" from the sounds of wood and steel? even though in that situation i believe it would be wood and nylon.