• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Let's talk T-Top humbuckers

althekiller

Gold Supporting Member
Anyone here a fan or know a lot about t-tops?

I have read that if you put the short alnico 5 magnets in the Gibson 490r it makes it a poor man's t-top. How accurate is this? I tried this mod on both the 490r and 490t in my SG faded and the tone definitely cleared up and the guitar seemed to come alive and sound pretty much the way I've read about t-tops sounding. Pretty bright sounding but I'd rather have bright humbuckers than ones that are too dark. They sound really good to me and that guitar is my #1 at the moment because of that mod.

Did Jimmy Page's Les Paul have a t-top during TSRTS live concert? Are they what Angus Young's SGs would have had in the 70's?

Those two are in my top 5 for favorite tones ever.

I know people either love or hate these pickups so let's hear why and thoughts about T-Top pickups.

55GibsonLPJR

Love vintage T-tops..got a 71' sg standard with those pickups and it sounds killer...def my favorite humbucker. A bit more output than a mid 60's patent # but still all the tone. Having vintage POTS in the guitar is a big part of getting that vintage tone in a newer guitar too in my option.

Angus's #1 SG was a 71', so that would have T-tops in it as well...

Coldacre

Did Jimmy Page's Les Paul have a t-top during TSRTS live concert? Are they what Angus Young's SGs would have had in the 70's?.
yes & yes.

my favorite tone as well. I have a T Top bridge in my Les Paul, wound by James @ ReWind and it's the best bridge humbucker I've ever played. it's EXACTLY the sound that I want to hear in a Les Paul.

think of all those great 70's Gibson sounds - Aerosmith, Rose Tattoo, AC/DC, Sex Pistols... that's the T Top in action!

Trending Topics