Letting go and giving up the loop

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by iaresee, Feb 10, 2008.

1. iaresee

iaresee Member

I'm doing it. I'm taking the plunge. I'm going to try running it all out in front of the amp. Am I crazy? I can't decide. I've been a slave to the loop for so long now. It worked well on the Rect-o-Verb but the Koch's loop is...finicky for lack of a better word to describe it. The SMMw/H doesn't sound right in it. There's this reflection thing going on, almost like an impedance mismatch with the loop, that drives it into weird feedback some times. So I'm moving it all out in front.:BOUNCE

2. erksin

erksin Member

I've never owned an amp with an effects loop and never felt like I needed one...

3. Birddog

Birddog Member

I have a pretty extensive pedalboard and I've always just run everything right in the front of the amp. No problems, simple setup and good tone! I have amps with loops, but just don't use them and have never felt like I needed to.

Good luck.

4. Dr.Tom

Dr.Tom Supporting Member

I'm old school(and old as well!) so an effects lop was not something that I grew up with.So I'm more comfortable with everything out in front even though my latest amps have an effects loop.

[​IMG]

Many people go this route and are perfectly happy with it. And as the other poster said, you can always go back if it doesn't work out; so give it a shot, you may just like it.

Regards,

Tom

5. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

I'm an "everything out front" guy with my Fender-style amps where I typically get my OD/Dist from pedals. This it currently the case with my Sewell and was also the case with my Gries and Victoria when I had them.

With my new Fargen Mini Plex Mk2, I am using the amp's drive from light OD all the way to seriously heavy distortion. I ordered a custom version of this amp just so I could have the loop, and I couldn't be happier. I have my ThunderTweak delay in the loop right now and it sounds wonderful.

Plus, I can really fatten the tone and even add some gain with the loop using the send/return controls (and even with some tube swapping). I can't imagine this amp without it, personally. Of course, if I want to be a purist, I flip the bypass switch and it's out of the circuit. Best of both worlds. Thanks, Ben!

BAN

6. rob2001

rob2001 Member

If you use alot of amp gain, delays and chorus type effects sound kinda muddy. It's less prominent as the amp gain goes down. But hey, you might dig it. Delays get that Jimmy page warped out dirty delay sound.

7. hamfist

hamfist Member

It all depends how you are using your amp. For folks who are running their amps clean or into slightly crunchy territory, then running all pedals in front of the amp works well.
    I run my current amp like this and its all good. Extra gain comes from pedals, which are BEFORE the delay, so all serious gain still comes pre-delay.
    For folks who like to run quite overdriven amps then it all becomes a lot more problematic, especially running a delay in front of the amp. Personally, I would always use a loop for delay, if available, when running a well overdriven amp.
    Delay into drive sounds crap to my ears.

8. shood

shood Member

the only adjustment i make from my fx loop days is to use pre-delay dirt pedals on most songs on which i use delay. i find that this is not as necessary on songs where the only delay is on leads for dimension/ambiance (as opposed to when repeats are integral notes that make up the rhythm guitar part)

chorus works fine in front of the amp in my expeience

9. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the other reason for a loop in a higher-gain amp is that once the preamp is crunchin', trying to boost volume for leads with something in front will just make the preamp saturate more, giving more distortion without much of a volume boost. putting a clean boost, or a semi-clean boost, or a graphic eq pedal or even a low-impedance volume pedal in the loop allows you to have a lead sound that jumps up in actual volume to get over the rest of the band.

10. Joses

Joses Member

+1 to "everything out front"

11. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Frig the loop.
    Try the eventide stomps for the loopy-like effects.

12. johnston

johnston Member

same here. haven't played an amp with a loop since the 80's. no-loop, non-mv amp for me, but that's just me. making sure i say that so i don't get flamed.;)

13. iaresee

iaresee Member

Yea, I use the high gain overdrive on my Koch all the time. It's delay I'm most worried about. The chorus + overdrive never come in to play for me.

Well, as lamotta77 said: nothing to lose trying it out. Rewired the pedal board today. Sounds alright at home. Won't get to try it out live and loud until Friday night.

I have no idea why I have such a mental block about working with everything out front like this. Years of conditioning?

14. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

No loop for me. I used to use it but I dont now and dont see a need to go back

15. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

I've only ever used the loop for a reverb pedal (Holy Grail). I don't like the way dirt sounds into the loop.

M