Lex users - your experience using with an OD?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by justonwo, Feb 29, 2012.

1. justonwo

justonwo Member

I brought this up in my "Pink Floyd Pedalboard" thread but I figured I would ask this question to the broader audience of Lex users. My (admittedly limited at this point) experience with the Lex is that, when run downstream of my OD pedal (in this case a Throbak Overdrive Boost), the sound gets really harsh, ice-picky, and most of the OD dynamics are lost. This could just be part of what happens to the signal when run through modulation, but I'm convinced there must be a way. The pedal sounds glorious when run with a clean signal.

One thing I have tried that worked really well, I should mention. I used a parallel loop pedal to blend the clean + Lex signal with the OD signal in parallel. This pedal allows me to adjust the relative contribution of each signal as well. This allows me to get a great sound, but the wiring gets complicated with my pedalboard and the logistics are a pain.

Perhaps you experienced Lex users out there can comment? Any help would be appreciated.

2. 66Park

66Park Member

I run my Lex before dirt, and it sounds great. I also run my vibe before dirt, so I don't agree with the idea that dirt always comes before modulation.

3. justonwo

justonwo Member

Good point, though in this particular case I haven't had much luck with that configuration. Any other Lex users out there?

4. Dire

Dire Member

I have my Lex after my Carl Martin AC-Tone and it sounds great; I keep the horn level knob on the Lex set to about 11 o'clock or so. I think maybe the results you get will be highly dependent on the particular OD pedal. The AC-Tone imitates a tube amp really well and plays nicely with all of my other pedals.

5. SG_Seth

SG_Seth Member

This is why I ditched the lex. Sounds incredible clean, but terrible after dirt. Placing it before dirt sounds great, but the intricacies of the lex are lost. No reason to keep a $300 pedal around when it sounds the same as a phase 45 when placed before dirt.

6. LuckyBlackCat

LuckyBlackCat Member

I fought hard with my Lex when I had it because I placed it at the end, just as a real Leslie would be. I could never get it to sound right that way. The tone I was chasing was Warren Haynes' Leslie with overdrive sound.

Then it occurred to me that he was not using his Rotosphere like that, but rather, playing the Roto into a dirty amp. So I put my Lex before my OD, which was in effect my "dirty amp," and it was just perfect.

7. justonwo

justonwo Member

Either my ears are really fickle, or I found some settings last night that seem to work for me. I think the trick for overdriven guitar is to keep the mic distance pretty far and turn down the horn. I put the the horn around 11:00 and the mic distance almost at max. The parallel looper is still useful, though. I can't believe they didn't include a wet/dry blend feature in the Lex.

Also, I've noticed there is a speed gap between the fastest "slow" setting and the slowest "fast" setting, which is annoying, because there are some speeds in that gap that I would really like to hit.