Lexicon Intellifex or Rocktron MPX-1?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by James M, Oct 14, 2008.

1. James M

James M Supporting Member

I'm going to try a rack unit to see what I think (don't lecture me, though...I'm still keeping my pedals!). I'm buying used, and a lot of people on here (who don't hate rack gear!) seem to think the Lexicon Intellifex and the Rocktron MPX-1 are solid units that can be found cheap on E-Bay. So, are there any pros/cons that would set one beyond the other? I'm looking for a really solid set of delays, choruses, and modulation effects for spacey, Floyd-inspired music...

Thoughts?

Also, if you have one of these units used that you are looking to sell (or a comparable unit), let me know.

Thanks!

2. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

Just so you know, you got that reversed. Lexicon MPX-1 and Rocktron Intellifex. I had both units and I still have the Intellifex, like the chorus much better, delays are warmer and just easier to use.

3. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

both units = very good.

The bad:

Rocktron = wall-wart (or cable hump) whatever you want to call it.
    Lexicon = preset switching lagtime, be careful if you're running in full series.

4. James M

Whoops!

Thanks for the thoughts guys...anyone else have any thoughts?

5. R.D.

R.D. Member

I agree with donbarzini, I've had both .... Still have the Intellifex ( as well as the Intelliverb too ) ....

6. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

+2
    The Intellifex has been around for a long time, and a lot of rack gear has come out since it was first introduced, but it still sounds great to my ears. I have kept an Intellifex and a Replifex in my rack for many years. Not only are they both bullet proof, but they do sound very warm for digital gear. Both the delays and reverbs sound very good. The chorus presets are good too but too wet from the factory so you will have to do some tweaking. IMO, these are a steal at today's used prices.

7. James M

What kind of delay times are we talking on the Intellifex? Is that a problem? Also, how would you guys compare these units to a G Major, for example? Is newer better?

8. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

I have 2 each of MPX-1 and G Major. (there was a time I needed duplicate rigs) Neither is perfect, both are good at most things and excellent at others.
    My findings:
    G Major for easy programming, smooth TC chorus, better sounding A/D D/A converters. Has relay switching outs for amp channels.
    MPX-1 really wins the reverb contest. Lexicon's are my favorite 'verbs.
    Much more reliable knobs and switches. More internal routing options.

alert: G Major has fairly low input impedance. Depending on your amps FX send or preamp out, you may experience loss of highs.

9. James M

Great comments....Is it true that the G Major doesn't like being run in mono?

10. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

Been a while since I checked but I believe the delay time is 1500mS unless you use the stereo or ping pong delays which then cut the delay time in half because you have a delay 1 and 2 that are each 750mS.

11. James M

That sounds good....I think I'm going to pull the trigger. Does anyone know the difference between the Intellifex LTD and the Intellifex Online?

12. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I have always found the Rocktron Intellifex to be the most sonically transparent rack out there for typical guitar apps.
    :dude

13. IvIark

IvIark Member

I think that's true for all TC processors. Certainly the G-Force, G-Major and M-One all need mono in/stereo out to get the full effect but I've heard people having good results with a simple y-cable so it isn't a deal breaker.

14. nitefly7

nitefly7 Member

I'm using the MPX-g2 (guitar preamp-added version of the MPX-1), and I have to agree; the delays and verbs are realllly lush..
    The chorus/detune/pitch are incredible as well, nothing too hyped, but really decent..
    The delays are tweakable and grand..
    In terms of flexibility, you would have to compare the Lex to the G-force.. The Intellifex is more limited in what it can do, but will do a nice job at that..

If you need warm/lush, reverbs, you should get the Lexicon.. no doubt..
    The preset latching problems are easily countered when you just make a preset with 8 effects in it (8 full blown at a time) and just use midi control change to turn effects on/off; sorta like a 'normal' pedalboard'

ofcourse, switching to a new preset; for a solo or mid-song is quicker.. but is you look at a multi-effects like big pedalboards; lexicon's way of doing it, provides you with enough processing power at a time to seamlessly change effects WITHIN a preset..
    there's not a lot of songs where I want to change my settings of my phaser, chorus, octavia, delay, tremolo AND reverb, all at once..

plus, the G2 (as the MPX-1 I guess) has an A/B function, allowing 2 separate settings for selected effects...!

if you need solely chorussing, delays and need to switch a lot of presets, get the intellifex..
    if you need chorussing, delays and very warm verbs; get the Lexicon..

also, having had a Rocktron Replifex; I found the MPX-g2 more convenient to program...!!

15. nitefly7

nitefly7 Member

add-on: I'd rate both of 'em over the G-major..

That processor is a great all-in-one toolbox in its own right..

as always; go check 'm out if you can, and list what effects/options you'd like..

16. Ariel Pozzo

Ariel Pozzo Member

What about the G System? is it true it's the same engine as the G Major?

17. James M

Thanks, guys...that's helpful info.

Nitefly, are you saying that the Lexicon has fewer effects choices than the MPX-1 (or 2)? I like reverb, but I don't want to sacrifice great delays, choruses, and mod effects...

18. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Liked teh sound of the rocktron (Replifex) but I did not like the interface. The numeric values were stupid. Just make it 1 - 10 or 1 -100 and be done with it.

19. James M

What's the difference, if any, between the Intellifex, the Intellifex LTD, and the Intellifex Online?