Lexicon MPX-G2 help needed

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by italo de angelis, Jan 27, 2017.

1. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

This thing has some confusing aspects when it comes to how to connect it to other gear.
    The manual shows 3 ways to connect/use it:
    STAND ALONE
    gtr to the MPX input/main outputs to a mixer or power amp or just use the headphones
    AMP INPUT ONLY (for an amp without FX Loop)
    gtr to the MPX input/Send connected to the amp gtr input
    AMP INPUT & FX LOOP (connect to an Amp with an FX loop)
    gtr to the MPX input/etc...

in all 3 examples Lexicon takes for granted the player wants to use the G2 as his preamp or at least use typical gain effects after the guitar input.
    Gtr is always connected to the G2 gtr input.
    I don't want to do that. I ONLY want to use the box as an fx processor and feed it MY external preamp or, better, AUX SENDs from my analog mixer, like I'd do with an MPX1, PCM80 or anything else.
    I want to feed the G2 any kind of source, like a piano, synth, cello track...

I'm pretty sure this can be done, even though Lexicon hoped to provide a complete solution to the guitarist and only provided info on how guitar players can use the unit. Reason for my use is the more power available in the FX Dsp here, thus more possibilities than on the MPX1...

Some facts in the manual:
    -the whole signal path is split into PRE-GAIN and POST-GAIN paths
    -the position of the GAIN fx block sets the division between the two paths
    -the PRE-GAIN is for the fx that go between gtr and amp input (Tone/Crunch/Screamer/Distortion/Preamp)
    -ALL REMAINING FX (both DSPs blocks FX1/2/Chorus/Delay/Reverb/EQ) can be placed anywhere, in the PRE or POST GAIN paths
    -the G2 INSERT SEND output is taken right after the GAIN block
    -the G2 INSERT RETURNs INPUTS immediately follow the SEND, before any blocks that follow

So... IF I want to use the G2 as an fx processor only I assume to have to use the INSERT RETURNS to connect an external preamp or mixer AUX Sends to it and the MAIN OUTPUTS to a power amp or back to the mixer channels. Right?

I will loose something... that is all the analog PRE-GAIN stuff, right?
    I will need to ALWAYS think "post-gain" placement when building fx routings and moving blocks around in my presets, right?

Has anybody done this, using the G2 as a normal fx unit?
    Problems/issues/limitations/quirks?

Thanks so much...

looper309 likes this.
  2. LarsTurms

LarsTurms Member

Hi Italo, I have my G2 in three loops of my Switchblade - one loop has the G2 pre-gain stuff, the other two loops are for stereo post-gain stuff. I don't always use the first loop and haven't noticed any non obvious limitation. I can check tomorrow more extensively, is there any specific preset you'd like me to test? Until then I'll try to answer below from my memory.

Yes, that's correct.

You'll lose the whole gain block, the soft limiter, noise gate and possibly tuner. Can't think of anything else right now.

I do it occasionally. Not aware of any issues or limitations other than what's been already mentioned.

3. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Thanks Lars!
    No specific presets test needed. Just wanted to make sure thr thing is possible without major complications or losses.
    Thanks for your kind help!

4. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Hey Lars...
    I was thinking about how you use your G2 with the SBlade loops.
    That's pure genius work!
    Great idea.

cheers
    I

5. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

...and another question...
    those effects available in both FX1 and FX2 blocks can be loaded as double instances?
    Like 2 UniVybe instances in the same preset?

6. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

7. raph

raph Member

There's a manual online for it. Have you tried plugging the preamp into the effects return of the G2? I hear a lot of chatter about how great the cab sims are in the G2, so I think people are using it the way you describe. You can bypass all AD/DA this way.

looper309 likes this.
  8. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

I got all docs for the unit, including the V1.1 info. I had a G2 long ago when it came out. V1 was buggy like mad. V1.11 has fixed those old problems.
    I don't have a G2 again, yet. I'm checking things out before deciding on one.
    I use a Tech21 PSA-1 so I won't need the cabs simulations of the G2, which are lost anyway when connecting a preamp to the RETURNs.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  9. raph

raph Member

I'm just going by the manual.

[​IMG]

10. LarsTurms

LarsTurms Member

Yep, exactly right, and run them in parallel, in series, or whatever.

11. Jack Luminous

Jack Luminous Member

You could either run the thing with the guitar input or the insert returns. Using the guitar input, you can always bypass the gain block, which would be equivalent to using the insert return directly. The only difference is that you can input a stereo signal in the insert returns.

The great thing is the analog dry path all the way to the main output. The whole unit sounds great. I sold mine a long time ago but still think of buying another one from time to time. You can do all kinds of quirky things with all the crazy routing options. I remember programming a pretty good tape delay emulation by putting the analog gain block in the feedback path of the delay.

It's one of the very few units that seamlessly integrate analog path and digital effects in a great way.

12. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

There is a substantial difference there as the gtr input is a low level input, while the returns can accept a line level signal if using preamp/mixer...

13. Jack Luminous

Jack Luminous Member

Yes but the front input can handle up to +10dBu ! There's a lot of headroom available. That will work for most line level duty in a guitar rig.

14. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Hate to disagree with you, William but that's not enough. +10dBu is a high instrument level (think EMG pickups) and a low line level... an "in between" area where compromise lives.
    If I plug my preamp or my mixer AUX Send there... it'll clip like a an animal. Better using more properly matched I/Os for the job.

15. Jack Luminous

Jack Luminous Member

Hey ! I speak from experience. Unless you're pushing very high level in the thing, it will work alright. I patched it in my console and used it for mixing some demos, adding warmth with the analog gain section. It worked. Most consoles don't handle more than +24dBu. +10dBu is alright for most purposes.

16. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Me too!
    I can see how it can be used more easily with recorded program because dynamics can be better controlled; an Aux pot can be kept at the right spot and re_gain some level on channels if needed.
    But with a direct instrument thru a line level preamp... those peaks will easily blast over +10dB. I'll sure try it if I make my mind but I won't hold my breath.
    Tried with the TimeLine (+8dBu) and was a no go by a lot.
    My hope is that I see Lexicon implemented their own dynamic technology in the gain fx where input level can be lowered for clean tone and boosted at the output of the block.That may help getting no clip and use the preamp stuff.
    Thanks.

looper309 likes this.
  17. raph

raph Member

Not sure if I understand what you're trying to do yet, Italo, but the front input and guitar input on back are "instrument" level inputs and impedance, the returns are line level input. I don't have a timeline (does it output line level only?) but it sounds like the problem can be an impedance mismatch?, sending a too-hot signal from timeline, or possibly the guitar input buffer is broken on the unit. If you replace the timeline with a boss delay pedal, does the input clip?

The G2 is about a quarter century old so I don't think Lexicon will be giving it any more updates.

18. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

I'd like to use the G2 as an fx processor only, without the GAIN block. Pretty much like a beefed up MPX1, thanks to its more powerful DSP for the fx secton.
    I usually would connect the unit to my mixer Aux Send(s) for true line level, which is what the RETURNs accept.
    As you say the gtr input won't exactly handle that in the best way. But there are ways if desired.
    The TimeLine... well using it after a my preamp or on the same mixer Aux Sends... clips it. They hardly design true line levels devices these days... and no pedals can really handle that.
    I'm aware about Lexicon. The G2 belongs to the past and nothing new will be done for it... unless I get one and build a library for it... :cool:

19. raph

raph Member

Got it. I bet you've tested Aux send isn't clipping the timeline input.

The unit is nowhere near as flexible as any eventide from that era, I'm not sure building a library for it is worth it.

20. looper309

looper309 Member

I could use some help setting up a footswitch to scroll presets and tap tempo on the G2.
    The footswitch is a DigiTech FS300. It has three switches. So I would like to set up the switches like this, from left to right:
    SW1 - tap tempo
    SW2 - program down -
    SW3 - program up +
    Hopefully I can make it a global setting. I'm reading the manual and I've been at it for a couple hours and getting nowhere. A step by step recipe would be very helpful.
    Does each switch need to have a specific cc command assigned to it? I get as far as "MIDI Ctl send > SW1 = none", then the options are 'none' or a specific cc number. Also it goes from cc 31 to cc 33, 32 isn't there, if that matters.
    Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA.