Lexicon MPX-G2 help needed

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by italo de angelis, Jan 27, 2017.

1. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Why would a footswitch be assigned to send a MIDI CC (if even possible) to control a parameter/function within the same machine that footswitch is connected to?

2. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

What kind of comment is that, looper?
    If you don't understand the theoretical point you can't use your gear. Dude... you really want to depend on a forum, even for basic stuff? What when **** hits you on a stage? Going to post and hope for help? Get a grip and manage your gear building knowledge.
    You never-ever use a MIDI command generated by a machine to modulate its own parameters. That's called MIDI LOOP and devastates your unit. It just freezes or starts doing weird things.
    As for your questions... I used the manual.
    -TAP TEMPO
    how to choose Tap source is perfectly described in your manual, pages 3-18 and 3-19. Just press EDIT and make sure Tempo Source = Internal, Tempo Beat Value = Quarter... and select Tempo Tap Source = guess what?
    -PGM +/-
    Page 6-5... pretty clear....
    System > MIDI > MIDI Program Change... see the OPTION key blnking? When that happens, you have more parameters available... press it and navigate the are... you'll find Pgm+ and Pgm- where you can assign any source to them.

More from the manual...
    page 8-3
    the footswitches are seen as 6 possible sources, Tog1/2/3 or Sw1/2/3, being the first a latched source and the second an unlatched one.
    You want to use UNLATCHED type for the functions you need.
    On a related subject... I can't remember exactly... but there was something about using 3 footswitches on these units, an issue or bug preventing 3 of them to work vs. 2. You should try as I don't remember...
    You can always use MIDI as Pgm+/- is a dumb function from the pre-MIDI era.

3. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

How do you hook up the GUI for the G2? I couldn't quite get my MacBook to talk to the G2. I have MIDI cables, MIDI USB box. Thx

4. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Hook up the GUI?
    What are you trying to do?

5. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Trying to see and control the parameters of the G2 from my MacBook.

6. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

You need an editing software FOR the G2.

7. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

I do have that software. I have MIDI cables and a USB-MIDI box.

8. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Well...
    you'd better start using more words and describe what you have and how you use it. Computer OS and what not...
    come on!

ctreitzell likes this.
  9. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

:spit

10. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

This is a really good editor. Make sure you send some beer money to the dude for this, as I'm positive there was quite a bit of effort involved.

I've actually just re-discovered my MPX G2. I'm now using it as a preamp for my rig and I'm really happy with the sound I'm getting. I used to use it as a parallel delay, but there's all kinds of other good stuff in this one. Goodbye, Eleven Rack...

ctreitzell and looper309 like this.
  11. looper309

looper309 Member

My researches have confirmed that the general opinion of the G2 is that it is one abstruse machine to set up. A lot of owners have sold theirs; dealing with the interface can result in a contusion... many owners have felt the effort was too frustrating and time-consuming to continue with it.
    :hide2
    I'm setting mine up to bypass the preamp part and use the return input, coming from the SansAmp. Having had some sense forcefully beat into me, I'll use midi to change programs and use the FS300 footswitch for tap tempo, A/B and something else. But it is a tedious effort. Not in Kansas anymore, Toto. Still, I want to believe ....
    Glad the link was helpful.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    ctreitzell likes this.
  12. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Don't trust the gossip. Programming the G2 is much easier than some of the units you have.
    It's just legends...

13. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Member

I've really got to get my MPX G2 up and running again. Hopefully just the battery. I actually didn't buy it for the preamp section, but because it had a bit more processing capability than the MPX1. But what are you getting out of the preamp that you like? How are you using it?

Also, that patch editor link was great. Can't wait to get mine hooked up and running with it. It helps me to be able to see many parameters at once.

ctreitzell likes this.
  14. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

Yeah, that dude did a great job on it. He seemed like quite a cool guy, as well.

I also got the G2 for the extra processing power, but the analog section was what I was really after, as I knew this was a key component to the delays that I wanted to create (I like to place gain in the feedback loop).

I was using the Modern Clean amp (not a model of anything I am familiar with, but quite close to a JC-120) in the Eleven Rack for years and kept the MPX G2 in the rack as a delay (which it excels at, mainly due to routing). I've recently considered the size of the Eleven Rack and the fact that I use it for just one thing, so I connected the MPX G2 in place of it and used the analog pre-amp with excellent results.

Now that I've done that, I'm starting to consider more of the gain controls (I feel like I cannot call these algorithms) and really want to experiment more with the on-board compressors. I know there are some really great sounds in there...

teofilrocks, ctreitzell and looper309 like this.
  15. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Member

It was just the battery after all. Just soldered in a new one and it’s up and going. Hopefully the boss gets scared of the snow storm tomorrow and closes the office. Guess what patch editor I’ll be diving into.

So, since I’ve only ever used the G2 for the fx side, I’ve never read the parts of the manual pertaining to the preamp section. I don’t think it will take the place of my new Synergy system, but I still would like to know and try it out. Maybe there’s some ok clean sounds in there? From my memory, only a certain range of program banks are available for fx-loop only use. I think.

One thing I do know is now that I know my unit works again, I think I need to grab presets from @italo de angelis. I’m sure I can learn something from examining his MPX1 library in that patch editor.

16. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Question to MPX-G2 owners, possibly running on V1.1 OS:

Please make a test only using the following algorithms COMBOS IN THE SAME PRESET!

Can you confirm you can load:
    CHORUS or AEROSOL or ORBITS or CENTRIFUGE1 or CENTRIFUGE2
    +++
    DETUNE (S) or DETUNE (D) or SHIFT (S) or SHIFT (D)
    +++
    DELAY (S) or DELAY (D) or ECHO (S) or ECHO (D)
    in the same preset? Try a blank preset without anything else running on it.

I want to make sure all those modulation+pitch+delay effects can ALL run together (regardless of routing/fx order) in the same preset.
    The MPX1 would only run MOD+DELAY or PITCH+DELAY combos, never a MOD+PITCH... let alone the 3 types together.

THANK YOU!

17. ray72

ray72 Member

hi everybody, how can I connect the mpx g2 with the switchblade loops, which kind of inputs and outputs do I have to use?
    thanks in advance

18. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

I will check this tonight.

19. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Thank you, sir.

hydroquebec likes this.