Lexicon PCM80 & PCM81 Questions, Tips, Tricks & Solutions

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by AnalogKid85, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Ian

Ian Member

Actually yes......Luke's path is well-documented, and he often runs one at a time, and sometimes both for the over-the-top delays.

Correct, I wouldn't be......it would be the only processor in my WDW setup.....amp speaker output feeding line-tap box, and single feed to PCM81.

2. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

BUT...
    if you really need those 2 delays together (which makes no sense to me) you will have a limitation on reverb. If you mute both delays you won't have reverb. It's not exactly like having 3 separate fx.
    That's because you want spillover and both delays. Giving up to both you will gain 3 separate fx, with on off for each.

3. Ian

Ian Member

Hi Italo,

Ok, so this confirms what others have said.....to have both delays, with spillover on them, will pose a limitation on the reverb.

This is great info! Its not what I want to hear, but that's fine......the real question now is......do I need reverb for this rig?

My options are simple...

1. Live without reverb, which is probably fine.
    2. Add the Eclipse back in, as well as my rack mixer.

BTW, could the Eclipse, on its own, be programmed to Accomplish the 2 delays and reverb that I want?

Thanks

4. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Ian

for christ sake...
    ask THAT question to yourself or dig into all that Luke babble from the forums if that's all you wanna be.
    Do I ask people if I need to eat?

I don't have an answer for Eclipse as I have never tried to do that on it.

BTW... I always believed and still do... spillover is ********! It's for kids. Real men don't need it. Ask your friend Luke.
    You can do it all with the PCM and just **** that.

5. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

A DUAL FX card should fix the issue though. All 3 fx can be controlled.

6. Ian

Ian Member

LOL! I love it when you get excited! :)

I already KNOW the answer to my question! :)

I don't need reverb!! You know why? Because, as you already know, the 81's delays, with diffusion on them, already have a "reverb-like" quality to them......a sense of "air". This is why I love the diffusion function....it's like melted butter....

For what I need, for my WDW setup, it's really enough to just have those delays. :)

Now, in addition to those 2 delays being switchable (i.e., on/off for either or both), and the spillover on both, it would be great if I could add modulation to one or both of them, and have that modulation be switchable on/off via midi cc.....

I'm not sure if this would require the use of a different algorithm as I'm at work, and don't have the manual here.

As far as the Eclipse doing these same sounds, as you have mentioned before, these processors are all about "capabilities", and I was simply asking if you thought the Eclipse might be able to perform these same capabilities, based on your extensive knowledge of the Eclipse structure, programming, etc....It's really a very simple question.....

Thanks

7. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

No modulation on BandDlys. You need Chorus+Rvb.
    The question about Eclipse is not a simple one. You want so many "features" that things really need to be checked with the units, different algorithms... and programming them.

8. Ian

Ian Member

Ah, ok, yes I do recall you saying that BandDlys does not have modulation.....

With respect to the Eclipse, how much time would it take to investigate this, with your level of knowledge of the Eclipse structures? Is this something you would normally charge for?

9. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

I don't charge for knowledge sharing... but I'm tired of doing it for the glory.
    If you need custom presets I'm available. The rest is something you should figure out by using your machines and read their manuals. Again... it's YEARS you're going around and around... in circles... with the same DualDly and Circular thing. You could have figured this out in half an hour, with your machines, really.

10. Ian

Ian Member

LOL! Yeah I know! Man, I just get so busy with life, and kids, and work, etc.....time just seems to get eaten up by other things.

I'm committed to wiring this rack up this year, as I want to finalize this once and for all.

Here's what I will commit to -> I will print the Eclispe algorithm manual today, and bring it with me on the train. :)

11. looper309

looper309 Supporting Member

What are are the differences, if any, between the Pitch FX card v1.0 and v1.1? How will a v1.0 work in an 80 1.1? Missing anything?
    Just acquired a Pitch FX 1.0. I remain in way over my head with my pcm 80, which is on 1.1.
    The only difference I could discern from the manual is,
    "New control parameters are found in the Control row and a new
    Submixer row."
    - thx

12. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

There is no knowledge about that.
    I can only guess the V1.1 adds some internal "cleaning" to the software... bugs or else. But you shouldn't really notice any difference in use.
    Those "new parameters and the Sub Mixer" are in the V1.0 card.
    I have a PCM80 and a PCM81.
    The 80 has been with me since it came out on the market (mid '90s). Lexicon sold me the Pitch and Dual FX card at special price as I reported them some bugs back then.
    Most is stuff you won't even notice... again.
    My Pitch FX card is V1.0. My PCM80 was updated to V1.10. They work perfectly together.
    So does the 81 with older cards.
    I'd say... don't even worry about these details.
    Use the things and make some beautiful sounds and music.

Not Orange and AnalogKid85 like this.
  13. looper309

14. looper309

I see that some of my favorite ambient artists are using a Sherman Filterbank. Just wondering if the 81 can be set up to do something similar, or better.
    How does the modulation on a pcm 81 compare with the Sherman? I finally got a 12 channel desktop mixer with two auxs. I'm going to try running the looper in one aux and the 81 in the other aux, for subtle modulations on the loop, it can go looper-81 or 81-looper with the auxs (yay).
    Thx

15. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

That's probably something YOU'll need to find out. Do you have the Filterbank?
    PCM and FBank are two completely different animals... can you compare a horse and a dog?

16. looper309

Well then, what does a Sherman Filterback do that an 81 can also do?
    I believe I'm hearing sequences and loops running through modulations and filters in a lot of ambient music.
    Thanks.

17. Saint Luminus

Saint Luminus Member

The only person who can answer your question is someone who owns both. Also, these are two drastically different units.

But if you are so inclined to find out the difference or the similarities, why don't you read both of their manuals?

The Sherman looks fun, but what I would do with that is very different than what I would do with the PCM 81.

18. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

What you hear in ambient music is done with several machines, not in a single one.
    The PCM80/81 can do some filters manipulations, particularly when using the Dual FX card where you can process a reverb thru the MultiBand delays... used as filters only.
    It's not the ideal machine for this application as you don't have a set of filters with Q, assigned to knobs you can use, more than one at the same time.
    One buys the PCM for the delays/reverbs/mod effects, really. A PCM thru the Filterbank is what you want to have for those cool filters sweeps.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  19. Not Orange

Not Orange Supporting Member

Well yes you can. Horses are for riding, dogs are for hunting. You can use a horse to hunt, but you can't ride a dog. Unless you're really short...

:D

20. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

You can even eat both!

Not Orange likes this.