Lexicon PCM80 & PCM81 Questions, Tips, Tricks & Solutions

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by AnalogKid85, Mar 6, 2016.

1. MarcoR

MarcoR Member

Whether you find the flavors enjoyable is subjective...

2. mwe

mwe Supporting Member

[​IMG]

https://www.usbid.com/parts/M202SD01HA

NOS part? No price listed but they claim to have them in stock.

3. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

My PCMs have FUTABA M202SD01H displays. The PCM81 Service Manual reports the FUTABA M202SD01HA model.
    I guess they are just the same display.
    The REV.C code is also correct.
    I'd say this is the PCM80/81/90/91 display part.

GOOD CATCH!

Looks like somebody should get a quote from these guys...

4. mwe

mwe Supporting Member

Well, I contacted the company and it turns out their claim of having these in stock is a database error.:facepalm They do have 1 M202SD01L but I think I read somewhere that that display has some timing differences that cause problems with the PCMs. I'll try to find that but I'm not sure it's worth much more effort if there's only 1 unit available.

5. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

6. looper309

looper309 Member

Getting to know the presets on the 80. I want to scroll the presets in a simple, un-midi way. I have a T1M R2E2 normally open 2-button aux switch, connected to the pcm 80 Foot Switch jack with a TRS cable.
    Just trying to familiarize myself with the presets w/o taking my hands off the instrument.
    What I'm hoping to do is set it so that the left button (Footswitch 1) does Pgm- and the right (Footswitch 2) does Pgm+. I went into the Control menu and got as far as where the screen reads "MIDI*Foot Pedal, 3.5 Send, Foot Ctl". At this point I'm stumped. Don't know where to go from here, or if I'm even in the right spot.
    It seems that this setting is particular to preset 3.5. I hope to make this a global setting. Reaching out for some assistance. TIA.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  7. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

You are DEFINITELY skipping the manual, don't you?

-3.5 identifies the parameter you are looking at... NOT a preset! You need to understand the layout of the UI. It's very simple. Rows and columns... that's row3.column5
    -navigate to 3.3 Pgm Change--- when you see a star * it means there are sub-parameters in a screen. Use the LOAD/* key to go thru them. You'll find the Pgm+/- settings.
    -hopefully you are using a stereo to two mono 1/4" cable for the footswitch...

ctreitzell and looper309 like this.
  8. looper309

looper309 Member

I was looking at the PDF. My computer wonks out when I read it in Acrobat.
    I got it working. I was missing Load/*. Page 2-13 (page numbers are so very helpful).
    Left goes down, right goes up. Nice. The 80 interpreted the right button as fs 1, and the left as fs 2. At about 1/4 the real estate as two FS-5Us, and no need for a Y cable. The T1M 2-button switch is connected to the 80 with a single TRS-TRS cable.
    Lesson learned, Load/* not only loads programs and registers, it loads deeper parameters.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  9. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

hey italo an update to the bug issue of Low RT values as a patch destination not moving on my octavesurround preset

i noticed Low RT value does respond and change values as a destination on another preset so i don't know if it's a bug specific to a particualr algorithym

i recently picked up a visual sound volume/expression pedal so i am going to go back into cc mode soon through my dmc ground control v1

10. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Could be a specific algorithm bug, yes.

11. tcaron

tcaron Member

My first experience with a Lexicon sound was with a Hardwire RV-7 Reverb pedal. Been wanting a Lexicon rack since then. Just got a PCM 80 and I am hooked. At least at this point, I do not care whether I got the best of the Lexicons, I am just glad to have this one.

What is the most used reverb that PCM 80 users have been using? Which one seems to do it all for vocals, keyboards, guitar?

Thanks,
    Tom

12. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Hey Tom

you are not there... yet!
    Whatever Digitech marketing says... the RV7 isn't a Lexicon unit, nor has THE Lexicon sound.
    But you have a PCM80, right?
    If that is a YES, then you ARE there!

Most people do program their PCMs here so you may not get exact answers about the factory presets. Just try them first and find your favorite ones.

13. looper309

looper309 Member

Tom, to answer your question, P3 1.9 Concert Hall is very versatile and popular.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  14. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Posted elsewhere but wanted to make sure the PCM thread holds this one!

A dozen ones!

Some good old choruses (no glide):

*Use the CHORUS+RVB algorithm
    *Kill all patches by removing parameters and modulation sources in all and any of them
    *Null all modulation sources parameters. Turning them OFF all helps the DSPs!
    *Make sure Fx Mix = 0% Reverb - Rvb Size = 4.0 meters - Rvb Diffusion = Off - Rvb Out = Off

-1 : 4 Voice Chorus for chordal work
    Voice Levels 1/2/4/5 = FULL
    Voice Delays 1/2/4/5 = 12/6/18/12 ms (Master Dly 100%)
    Voice Depths 1/2/4/5 = 40/59/40/52 ms (Master Depth 100%)
    Voice Rates 1/2/4/5 = 0.52/0.58/0.52/0.64 Hz (Master Rate 100%)
    No Feedbacks
    Voice Pans 1/2/4/5 = 50L/50L/50R/50R

-2 : 4 Voice Chorus for both single note and chords
    Keep everything the same as above and set:
    Master Depth = 200% Master Rate = 33%

-3 : 4 Voice Chorus for both distorted single note and chords
    Keep everything as in #1 and set:
    Master Delay = 160% Master Depth = 140% Master Rate = 40%

-4 : 4 Voice Chorus for overdriven or distorted chordal work
    Master Delay = 0% Master Depth = 200% Master Rate = 34%

-5 : 4 Voice Chorus for both clean or overdriven single note and chords
    Master Delay = 0% Master Depth = 140% Master Rate = 34%

-6 : 4 Voice Chorus for both clean or mildly overdriven single note and chords
    Master Delay = 50% Master Depth = 200% Master Rate = 34%

-7 : 4 Voice Chorus for both clean or mildly overdriven single note and chords 2
    Master Delay = 200% Master Depth = 90% Master Rate = 66%

-8 : 4 Voice Chorus for both clean or very mildly overdriven single note and chords - jazz chorus
    Master Delay = 50% Master Depth = 200% Master Rate = 44%

-9 : 4 Voice Chorus for both clean or very mildly overdriven chordal work - fusion jazz chorus
    Master Delay = 50% Master Depth = 80% Master Rate = 160%

-10 : 4 Voice Chorus for both clean or very mildly overdriven chordal work - pop-fusion chorus
    Master Delay = 0% Master Depth = 80% Master Rate = 160%

-11 : 4 Voice Chorus for both clean or very mildly overdriven chordal work - pop chorus
    Master Delay = 30% Master Depth = 100% Master Rate = 200%

-12 : 4 Voice Chorus for both clean or very mildly overdriven chordal work - pop chorus 2
    Master Delay = 0% Master Depth = 90% Master Rate = 200%

Thoughts:
    -a definition of "distorted" is kind of vague... but it's more distorted than "overdriven".
    -"Mildly overdriven" is that kind of setting where your dynamics pull some grit off your amp.
    -None of these presets has been programmed for flat out metal distortion sounds. You may try. Some may work... some may need tweaking.
    -Try adding some *external* delays and/or reverb. Please don't use the PCM for this. Use another machine. It'll sound much better.
    -Try using the concept I used here: by just tweaking Master Dly/Depth/Rate I could get a lot of different ones. You may try resetting them to 100%, change the individual delays/rates/depths/levels/pans for the 4 voices and then start using the 3 Masters again, to quickly build your own tweaks, again.
    -when working with chorus effects the ear gets extremely fatigued and you may easily and quickly loose focus and judgement of a good sound.
    Clean your ear with non modulated sounds... or just rest and do more chorus programming on another day.
    -you know you can store up to 8 of these tweaks in a single preset, right? And use MIDI to recall any of them....

To have all the fun!

broes, tcaron and looper309 like this.
  15. tcaron

tcaron Member

Excellent, thank you all!

I am new PCM 80 owner with 4 k memory.

Tom

16. markiv2290

markiv2290 Member

Yep excellent thread for some excellent units.

Italo was very helpful in helping me understand how an 80/81 would achieve what I was aiming for, routing wise. Even though he did not understand/agree on why I would use it in dual mono. Right, Italo ;) ?

I love my PCM 80 with the Dual FX cards :D

17. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

I don't exactly remember the details as I get dozens of emails very day, Pierre.
    But whatever is the reason you use the PCM in dual mono... I have little to understand... it's just wrong. It's not made for that.

18. Allthesound

Allthesound Member

I finally got my PCM's in and kind of sort of setup. Man i have alot to learn. I'm reading the manuals now but am struggling a bit , I have been searching the web for tutorials but am kinda of coming up empty can anyone recommend some tutorials, books & or videos to help give a lil push in the right direction?

[​IMG]

looper309 likes this.
  19. jaykay73

jaykay73 Member

Loads of information is online. Read. Program. Experiment. Ask questions here. Repeat.

It will be a shame when HRI gets taken down. Hope the wayback machine captures most of the good stuff.

JK

Allthesound likes this.
  20. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

Try to start with the clean slate presets. They might be on the 81. They'll provide the structures in their most basic form, which you can then build upon.

Allthesound likes this.