Lexicon PSM 41 delay demo (TC Nova Delay, Boss DD-2)

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by lv, Feb 24, 2008.

1. lv

lv Supporting Member

Spent yesterday playing the pcm 41 in the loop of my Glaswerks - I think I like this unit more than my old Cornish TES due to the versatility and thickness of the repeats. Compared to what the Cornish costs, the pcm is a bargain.

By manipulating the various controls, in addition to delay, you can get delay with modulation on the repeats, flanger, vibrato, and some of the best chorus tones I've ever heard. It also has filter controls that let you roll off the top end and/or the bottom end on the repeats.

I've also been comparing it to my TC Nova delay and a Boss DD-2....I hope to pick whichever works out best and sell the other two, but all 3 sound great - with the DD-2 being the cleanest (but still warm) and obviously least versatile. The Nova compares favorably - doesn't have the richness of the Lexicon, or the great modulation, but is quiet and warm sounding.

Today is my last day to play guitar all day before my wife delivers our first child, so I need to go play my guitar! :)

Here's a short clip demonstrating the delay, chorus, flange, and vibrato tones: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6300299

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6300299

[​IMG]

2. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

There is a type of companding/compression in the PCM41 (and 42) that realyy makes the dealy sounds kind of warm and tube like..."real". It still is a staple in many top end studios and I think Splatt still uses PCM42's for his looping. A guy who used to work at Lexicon named Gary Hall was a genuis with those units. Would likely make other newer delays sound sterile in comparison...even in "tape" modes.

3. Blueser

Blueser Member

Lou,

I think that clip sounds great!!!! I really like the Lexicon rack stuff. Even the older stuff from them has such a great natural vibe to it. I really dig it!

I am going to have to dig up one of these for myself at some point!

B

4. lv

lv Supporting Member

Agreed - there is a certain magic in the delay tones, I only wish it was in a smaller package, I am not really much of a rack guy though I may make an exception with this one.

5. gregory49

gregory49 Member

Sounds Great Lou!!! I thought you were going to break in to a U2 song with the first couple of notes. Fantastic tones as always......

How about some lead tones with the Lexicon versus the TC??

6. TRW

TRW Member

My fav guitar delay, one of the best ever.

They distort in a funny but cool way too...PCM42 much more so.

7. Avenger

Avenger Member

That sounds great...

I really like the dog bark effect at the end;)

8. lv

lv Supporting Member

Glad you liked it lol.....:)

9. riker4208

riker4208 Member

So this does have the ability to add modulation to the delayed signal? I assume thats what the vco section is set up to do. Does it have any midi capability for storing presets?

10. onemind

onemind Member

Man that made me miss my PCM41

11. lv

lv Supporting Member

Well, after a/b/c'ing the lexicon, tc, and dd-2 I've decided to stick with the tc due to the small form factor, ease of use, and variable control of high end rolloff on the repeats.

Here are some final thoughts on each:

dd-2: quietest, cleanest bypass when run in front of the amp, cleanest repeats, easy to use.
    pcm41: lushest sounding delay, best modulation, largest box, most complicated, works best in loop.
    nova: noisiest, easy to use, can dial in the darkest repeats of all 3.

I was thinking of maybe having analogman mod the dd2 instead of selling it, has anyone had that done?

thanks