Lexicon Signature 284 Info Request

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by onemind, Oct 19, 2005.

1. onemind

onemind Member

I have an opportunity to buy one of these rackmount, recording preamp/low power amp units, but don't know much about it...I've read what I've found but tone being such a subjective thing I thought I would ask here as well.

Does anyone have one? use one? tried one?

I'm a little concerned about "loading" issues too since it has a stereo power section (can you use one/none cabinets) etc.

Any help or advice would be appreciated...any thoughts on pricing as well.

Thanks

(s)

2. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

I had one. Loads are built in, each channel is separate, so it can be used without any cab for DI recording, etc. Well-built, PCB. Tone *is* subjective, but it does meduim to hi-gain pretty well. I'm just not a big fan of single-ended amps, and owning the 284 helped me discover that. Swapping tubes, as always, can help.

Hope that helps,
    Paul B

3. onemind

onemind Member

Thanks for the reply, I think it will be a lot hipper looking than the Kidney Bean on my console too...:rolleyes:

4. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

Yeah, the latest kidney bean is better than the first ones, but I can take only so much. Tubes, speakers, mics=much more nutritious.

5. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I have one and still play it, the key to these units is the tubes. For some stupid reason Lexicon shipped them with **** tubes, so **** tubes equal **** tone, wonder why they didn't sell better. Really a great versatile machine. I highly recommend them. The first 100 units had a cool almost neon kind of donut shaped light intsead of the standard fender type on jewel light. If you find one of those, it's even more special.

A Signature 284 and a MPX-G2/R1, can make a lethal pairing!

TheGrooveking

6. tildeslash

tildeslash Supporting Member

I am about to get one delivered this week.
    Will post my review shortly.

7. onemind

onemind Member

Can't wait to read your review....any thoughts on pricing?

Steve

8. flicker180

flicker180 Member

you should be able to get the units for around 400.00

brand new, i bought my first one in 1998 for around 800.00

i purchased one used on fleabay for about 450.00

i used mine with a Gmajor, Mullards (in pre and power sections) and used pedals in front of it. was a great amp.

dave

9. onemind

onemind Member

Hey Dave, how about some clips?

(s)

10. ampvoodoo

ampvoodoo Guest

I believe the green donut light was called the seeing eye. Before the seeing eye mod offered on Keeleys pedals.

11. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Geeez! I can't believe nobody's spoken up about the power tube limitations of an un-modded 284 - come on guys, help the bro out. Onemind - there's a simple, but necessary mod to perform on the power tube connections before you can put in better-performing NOS EL84s, so be forewarned.

The one I have came with JJ EL84, and sounded good. But after the mod, I was able to install a Mullard on one side, and an Amperex Bugle Boy on the other side to get it to sound spectacular. The point of this amp is to be able to take advantage of power tube clipping at (relatively) low volume, so you'll want to be able to use NOS EL84s. Without the mod, you're very limited in your EL84 choice (I think only JJ, EH, and Sovtek - can't use Ei).

While you're in there modding this amp, you can consider changing out the preamp tubes as well. After trying some other "top shelf tubes" (Telefunken smooth plate, Philips Miniwatt, Mullard short plate, and RCA gray plate), I've settled on:
    V1 Raytheon 12AX7A black-plate/halo-getter
    V2 Mullard CV4024/12AT7WA ('80s production)
    V3 Tungsram ECC83

Great amp to have about, for ~$400 in newish condition.

- T

12. onemind

onemind Member

T,

What does the mod entail? Is there anyway to adjust the bias on this thing.

Steve

13. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    In order to use any NOS EL84s (or EIs and possibly other new production EL84s), the screen resistor connected to pin 1 (a non connected pin in Sovtek and a few other "third world" EL84s) must be lifted.

IOW, in most EL84s, pins 1 and 2 are internally connected (in the tube) and nothing can be connected to pin 1. Lexicon failed to notice this distinction.

14. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    I had one of these for a short time...I also do not like the sound of single ended power amps in distortion...single ended amps produce an asymetrical distortion (My tech friend showed it to me on a scope) that sounds ratty to my ear. To me this single ended tonal hash phenomenon sticks out like a sore thumb. Others love the sound of a cranked Champ (I can't stand it) To each his own....YMMV

PS.. no one ever told me about the screen resistor mod and I of course was anxious to pop in some NOS glass...:eek: Ah the smell of roasting resistors can be quite pleasant, but rather disconcerting at the same time! :D

15. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

Yeah, the single-ended tone and especially the noise floor pushed me in other directions.

16. flicker180

flicker180 Member

unfortunately, dumped the unit a while back for a Bad Cat. :)

suffice it to say, though, that i'll prolly be getting one as a recording preamp.

dave

17. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Hmmm. That isn't true about the Guytron.

Disclaimer: My company has done work for Guytron; but my opinions are not bought and sold.

Your facts are incorrect; the EL84's are both on all the time and always in the tone path for each channel... and they are not single ended. The EL84's and the EL34's are all Class A/B push-pull.

With all due respect, I would suggest you check your facts with Guytron before making assertions that are false.

Not a flame, just a suggestion.

18. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

[Hmm.. thought I submitted a reply to this post last night. Oops!]

As Mike mentioned, there is a common tie point on the power tube sockets, and you've got to snip a pin on each power tube socket. It's also recommended that you insulate the freed wire/socket pin with hot glue or electrical tape. I'm grateful to Mike for pointing this out in the EL84 section of his tube order site (thanks Mike!!), because, as thelionsden testified, the consequences of not doing this mod are nasty. Another option is to snip a pin from each power tube, but I was unwilling to treat my fine NOS tubes this way.

I got more details from Jeff Lace (of Lace Music, the company that Lexicon had build the 284), and I can share them with you, if you want.

- T

19. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    Well, I was pretty sure I was right about that but I can't recall where I got the info, its been a long time ..upon checking the block diagram on the Guytron site it looks like you may be correct. I retract my statement pending further research (which I will probably never do :D ) and edit my post accordingly.. :cool:

20. onemind

onemind Member

Would love the details....thanks.

Steve